Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lincoln Cent Varieties - DDR, DDO and more

I am curious to find out from the Lincoln Cent Collectors.

RE: The new COMPLETE Lincoln cent Registry set with Varieties & The Complete varieties with Proofs.

Did all of the varieties you have get listed?

If not, what do you have?
Post a pic or description.

I believe there are more varieties that will surface.

What about the 1957 D/D or 1958 D/D varieties?
Not listed....

Comments

• Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Im a lincoln cent variety collector.. and have over 300 different varieties. If PCGS was to list every variety for their Registry set, no one would bother to even attempt to complete it. The registry set would consist of over 3,000 varieties.
    -Gabe
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several thousand varieties. Not even all of the CPG business strike varieties were listed in the "Complete Variety" set. I'm still wondering why not.

I am looking forward to a complete variety set for proofs. Those are some of my favorites.
    Doug
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    I have sent in coins prior to PCGS having a pcgs coin# for the coin.

After the coin is in your inventory and is not an "E" holdered coin.

Send an email to BJ at PCGS.

She will get those listed in the Complete Variety Sets.

Not every variety will get into a holder. Who wants to spend money for all of the grading fees on all of them.

But for now, it has brought new light to the Lincoln Cent Series.

I believe that to be a good thing.

What about the 1957/8 varieties? Not listed...

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    The 1958/7 'overdates' are not overdates, just a well placed gouge, I believe in the master dieimage
  • Options
    Does that make it a variety?

In Large Cents, it got a new Sheldon number.

Of course they had a multitude of die problems back then.
  • Options
    Hi Silverstate, A lot of the coins I have that are Attributed as the coins in the NEW Complete Variety set would not load as they were
    attributed as Mint Error's. The coins may have to be resubmitted as Variety desgination, then won't know if they would even get it
    the PCGS holder as the same coin Attribution on the current slab. Contacted BJ and she said to check with Ron or David Hall at the
    next show to see if they would be able to be crossed into the Variety slab to be included into this set. At current time the only way
    these coins can be in the set is to slide them into the 1972-P (1972DDO#4) 1980-P (1980PDDO#1) 1997-P (1997 Double Ear). I reshot
    photo's of these coins and the registry won't allow me to upload the new Photo's of Front and Back that I sent to BJ to inquire if they
    could be added. I have also 2 1941 DDO coins in slabs one from the Labute Collection they stated have generic Coin numbers so they
    cannot be added as well. But can still be added to the Regular Variety Set. It's just another money game that PCGS is trying to improve
    it's bottom line for Collectors Universe. I enjoy the Registry Sets but not enough to resubmit a coin that has already been attributed
    on their own slab!image

These are reshots of the coins listed above. I have about 11 other coins at home that I was thinking about sending in to have
    graded and attributed but if there going to not allow the 1941 DDO that is in the other sets as a regular submission than
    I won't give them the opportunity to see any more of my green backs flowing their way.
    Has Anyone questioned why Watersport dropped his set from this registry set?
    Mike.

Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike: Since you own the ONLY 1972 Die # 4 I and many others will ever see ..YOU ARE THE MAN regardless of the label, etc.!

I pulled my set a few days ago because of all the confusion. But many here pm'ed me to relist it. So in a show of support, its back, and I encourage you to do the same. Lets not get hung up on the problems but rather share here what we got, as this stuff is somewhat more exotic that just another MS 66 Lincoln. In fact, most of this stuff was sitting in my inventory and no one but I knew I had it. So just take it slow, because nobody is going to break the 90% mark this coming year. And frankly, this just may be the set that that some of you will finally get some recognition if you do break the 90% mark as I doubt the same old names getting the same top award year after year are simply not going to dabble here.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    This is going to be a challenging set.
    The issue with grading fees is a small hurdle.

Coins that are "E" holder should be a reholder only fee.

So isn't that $ 5.00, add $ 5.00 for Phil to take a great picture while you are at it and you are in Business for $ 10. each
    AND with a CLEAN slab & a TrueView Photo!!

I would really like to see sets have these varieties with photos posted in their respective sets, since they are much rarer than regular ms coins.

Then we can pressure PCGS to add Varieties one coin at a time.

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    As an interested but non participating observer, I believe that over time PCGS will have a complete variety set registry that will be accepted by the hobby as THE source. They have started by identifying 110 additional varieties above the 20 MAJOR varieties already listed. Obviously, some of these 110 were already identified as "error" Lincolns. PCGS will need some time to sort thru their "error" coins and determine which ones belong with the 110 new varieties. They will need to reset their database to accept all these coins into the specific set registry. Later, they will probably add more new varieties to the initial 110 as interest grows. I can see, however, where PCGS may continue to have other "error" Lincolns remain outside their new variety designations until or unless they achieve a certain level of popularity within the hobby. This whole effort will take a few years, but it looks like it is getting off to a good start. Steve
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im a lincoln cent variety collector.. and have over 300 different varieties. If PCGS was to list every variety for their Registry set, on one would bother to even attempt to complete it. The registry set would consist of over 3,000 varieties. >>

i've bothered to...i have 300 + ddo's & ddr's (coneca)

1000+ RPM's (coneca)

then there is the tomb of the unknown Doubled dies and RPM's

I say list them all!

p.s. I too have the 72 die 4image

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I have focused more on the Lincoln Proof varieties. There is not as much competition, and not as many as business strikes that's for sure. However there are some great ones. Anybody else have a 37 Proof DD? image
    Doug
  • Options
    I too have the 72 die 4

Lucky B@#$%^&!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I too have the 72 die 4

Lucky B@#$%^&!

WS >>

tee hee!image
  • Options
    Too bad PCGS does not recognize Die # 5. But I think RB did get some done by them a while ago.

Bob

WS
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the value of a 72 DDO die #4 in AU condition? I've read what Fivaz has said about the rarity of this die set,
    but anyone have a handle on possible population? I'm finding that Lincoln varieties can be addictive. By the way,
    the MS65RD example in this thread is beautiful. Thanks, Shag
  • Options
    TextWhat is the value of a 72 DDO die #4 in AU condition?

That is a very good question. First because its rarity is well known amongst 1972 DDO collectors I think everyone would agree here that its value will EXCEED any Die #1 value in equal grade. RBTEX sold a few I think and Chuck of Coppercoins would be a better authority of its market value. Those who own them already would not contemplate a value since there is no way the Lucky B7*&^% would consider selling them.

WS