Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone else having baseball withdrawals?

I enjoy baseball enough to listen to a Royals/Rays game on the radio on a Tuesday night. Usually come the end of November or beginning of December up until the middle of February I go through some serious baseball withdrawals. This year, those withdrawals came early. Anyone else have this delima?

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I am. At least I have the HOF voting results to look forward to in about a month or so. I'm curious as to how many votes McGwire gains (or losses) since the last election.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Nope. My hockey is tiding me over. Although I am a Marlins fan, so I don't quite know what I have to look forward to next season. image
    PAVEL BURE "THE RUSSIAN ROCKET"

I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

Successful Transactions with: bigfische, BobaFett72, Karb
  • Options
    I was so desperate i actually watched the Pats game the other night! image

I miss baseball terribly. I love having a game on in the background, checking the stats constantly to monitor my half dozen fantasy teams...sigh.

Now with the stupid writers strike there is going to be nothing to watch on tv! Guess Ill have to go back to Pokerstars! oh well. image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Hockey would be tiding me over, but the Lighting aren't winning lately. Now the Steelers can't even score off Miami! UGGGH
    Of course I was in the finals of the Football pool with 41 points. Not going to happen.

Okay, bring on Spring Training!!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's enough going on in the rumor department to tide me over during the offseason. Plus, I get to bask in the glory of the Sox second in my lifetime.
  • Options

<< <i>there's enough going on in the rumor department to tide me over during the offseason. Plus, I get to bask in the glory of the Sox second in my lifetime. >>

Maybe that's it, the Red Sox are in my blood and I need a fix. Although I am not from New England, my Mom was born and raised in Haverhill, MA, so the Red Sox are part of the family tradition. Having won twice in the last 4 years, I don't know what to do with myself. Don't get me wrong, I am following all the trials and tribulations of the off season - but I sure could use a ball game.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Believe it or not, I am originally from NY but I saw the light as a teenager.
    I am looking forward to Spring Training in Fort Meyers already!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Baseball is the sport I live for! Big time withdrawals here...how do I compensate? I buy lots of cards!
  • Options
    As an Oriole fan from the area, have had pro baseball withdrawal for about 10 years now. Nationals not much better, it will get better, it will get better, at least that is what I tell myself. Tim
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way - I only get Football withdrawals.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah.... Im happy riding out my Red Sox championship for a little longer!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No way - I only get Football withdrawals. >>

Me, too...
  • Options
    Football only for me. There is supposed to be lots of baseball on TV sometime before the end of this year with the Mitchell report on steroid use in MLB, if the report lives up to the hype in naming people a number of reputations are going down the drain.
  • Options
    The Angels have been active, and with the winter meetings around the corner, I should be ok until mid december
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    There are computerized, simulated, and very realistic baseball games available.

The cost is about $20 , you select players from the past, and compete against other people who form the full simulated league. Stats are provided, as well as daily boxscores and updates.
    It's not for everyone, but usually true baseball fanatics enjoy it and participate. A full computer season of 162 games takes about 8 weeks to finish.
    A fun way to research a few non-superstar players, and organize/manage a facsimile baseball team.

simnasium.com is probably my favorite, however, there are many other providers, who may be found through sources like The Sporting News or MLB.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    I wish baseball were a 12 month sport. I tape games during the summer of games I didn't see and watch them over the winter.
  • Options

<< <i>I enjoy baseball enough to listen to a Royals/Rays game on the radio on a Tuesday night. Usually come the end of November or beginning of December up until the middle of February I go through some serious baseball withdrawals. This year, those withdrawals came early. Anyone else have this delima? >>

not the slightest bit.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

As i heard on the radio today there are only 2 seasons--Football season, and and waiting for football season.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish baseball were a 12 month sport. I tape games during the summer of games I didn't see and watch them over the winter. >>

THey just need to show some old games on espn classic every now and then and throw us a bone. And i mean old games, not 80 to present day stuff.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    I'm glad baseball season is over so I finally get to wake up out of my "fan hibernation" to watch some real sports.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm glad baseball season is over so I finally get to wake up out of my "fan hibernation" to watch some real sports. >>

Ya image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all. Used to get it. Now football is the sport I enjoy following the most. Now I just take a break from sludging through another 90 loss season by the Pirates. Sorry but I can't get excited to see whether the Yankees or Red Sox will be the team to pry Santana from the Twins.

Even with those thoughts, I still collect only vintage baseball because that era of baseball is still special for me.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish baseball were a 12 month sport. I tape games during the summer of games I didn't see and watch them over the winter. >>

If anything, I think they should shorten the season to 148 games. Obviously, this will never happen for financial reasons. That way, we can enjoy an actual Fall classic in early-mid October instead of pushing early November. Hey, maybe they can even have day baseball in the playoffs, what a novel concept that would be...
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    a novel concept would be take the cheerleaders and make neked womens football, nobody would be interested in mens football no more, or leave the house except to buy beer by the keg and pizza
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Nope. No withdrawals for me. I'm just enjoying the great ride with the Pats right now image. And along with that, the resurgance of the Celtics. There's always the Red Sox 2007 WS DVD if I need a quick baseball fix image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Until they actually create a cap for teams, baseball is basically a joke IMO. Yawn...
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, not in the least, since I am, at best, only a casual fan of baseball.

Basketball is my first love and this time of year I really enjoy the beginning of the hoops season at the elementary school, middle school, high school [my oldest son is playing his first year of high school hoops and in a game last night got 13 rebounds], college and pro.

The Warriors play in my neck of the woods and I expect that Don Nelson will have the W's playing an uptempo, fast breaking, three point shooting brand of ball the entire season before sell out crowds at the home arena.
  • Options
    Baseball has a long history of the weak sisters of the league as perennial doormats and the defacto farm system for the big markets. It is now like it has been. Though the player turnover per team is probably a bit higher, and it is a little tough to 'fall in love' as it was in the past.

I like the NFL, but I don't feel bad if I miss some games as I could always go to the local maximum security prison and watch guys with similar personality traits, if not see former NFL players themselves.

NBA was a great product in the past, but that has come and gone as well.
  • Options
    Guys, This is what Playstation is for!! I'll throw in any of several baseball games I've got lying around, pick two teams at random and have at it.

It's either that, or going to my local minor league hocky game. That's great, too, and you get to see fights! image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    With pitchers and catchers reporting in less than 3 weeks, the withdrawls will soon subside.
  • Options
    My brother in law is such a Tigers fan that he retired down in the Lakeland, Florida area so he could go to Tigers spring training
    games. I go to a few local Class A farm club games but I don't get into it much more than that.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    nope. but i am starting to get football withdrawals already.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    This weekend ----- first weekend no football or baseball since last march. Only 2 weeks till spring training!!!!!!!!!! image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    With a world series wrapped up I am looking forward to this upcoming season with my Sox defending their title! I think it will once again be a two team race for the AL east once again, it will be fun!
  • Options
    perk,
    your sox need to rest and recuperate this year... image

take some time off, then NEXT year they can win another title.

baby steps. baby steps!

p.s.
    a prolonged losing streak would ensure I could get discount tix from work for $5 the day of the game... (and yes, you can come too)
  • Options

<< <i>perk,
    your sox need to rest and recuperate this year... image

take some time off, then NEXT year they can win another title.

baby steps. baby steps!

p.s.
    a prolonged losing streak would ensure I could get discount tix from work for $5 the day of the game... (and yes, you can come too) >>

Tell ya what Leo, maybe we can take a game in at Fenway this year when the Tribe come to town! We could make it fun like the loser of the game pays for the beers!
  • Options
    cool beans!
    sounds like a deal Paul.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Angels should take there division hands down. The central is up for grabs with the Tigers/Indians beating the hell out of each other and never know what's going to happen between the Red Sox and Yankees.

Can't wait! and Just about all the angels home games will be in HD this year! WooHoo!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi