Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It came from Outer Space and illuminated coins

I'm sorry, when I saw this I had to laugh and giggle at the same time.

It reminded me of nothing so much as a Martian machine from War Of The Worlds, right down to the mid-30's to 50's industrial design. The baleful red eye is immediately above the rheostat that controls the adjustable level of illumination from the bulbs. Fully-articulated lamp arms in the movie style complete the image.

This came from an outfit that designs and makes plastic containers of all sizes and shapes for biological labs and was used for quality control purposes. It came to me as a gift from my neighbor who works for them and thought I might be interested before they threw it out. Works perfectly and it's replacement cost would make you wince. I was effusive in my praise of his judgement...image

Let me tell you, it works the nuts for some coins like copper and bronze or toned nickel and silver, but the jury is out on lustrous items.image
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klaatu barada nikto! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Particularly the Variac adjustment for the lamps.image
  • Options

<< <i>Klaatu barada nikto! image >>

Wrong film......... (The Day the Earth Stood Still)

Gort, Barenga..........
  • Options
    oooooolaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Gort, what are you doing with General Radio?!image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Yes, Marvin is his given name, Marviniskovitch in the old Russian, Mar-Vehn in phonetic French, and so forth.

BTW, Marvinotropolis weighs in at 5 lbs of solid steel, manufactured back when we had raw materials to burn, so to speak...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that isn't the original lamp used by Orson Welles as the Mercury Threatre did there radio Broadcast of War of the Worlds?

Seriously... that is very cool and I would but one in a heart beat if it wasn't too expensive and if I could find a way to get it into the house without the wife seeing me bring it in. Asking for two of the two is just too much... almost unthinkable...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    that lamp is AWESOME my dad LOVED stuff like that...

it looks like it weighs 50 pounds and if it fell off the table onto your head.. it'd kill you image

very COOL
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

People of Earth Attention!
    We have been observing your planet for a long time and
    We are Pissed!
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    People of Earth Attention!

How pissed can they be, are they angry at the space junk we keep shooting in their direction?

By the way, this lamp can still be purchased from the manufacturer for $225+... and for an extra $25 you can get the magnifying glass attachement (similar variac arm as the lamps, screws into the back and then extends over the top and down).