Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My rant of the day - e-mail to PSA

Nothing whatsoever against Cosetta, but I'm tired of fighting about the basic vs. master sets. Below is my e-mail to her. As far as I'm concerned, I wish they'd just delete the damn basic sets and be done with it.

Regards,

Greg M.

[My 2nd e-mail below)
Cosetta,

No offense - but Beckett is not correct!!! I originally had requested the set and the cards mentioned below are not from mainstream sets. I should know - I've collected cards for over 30 years!!

At some point the set registry should be about what the collectors want...not what Beckett says. If you want to continue w/ your definition of basic sets then the concept of a basic set is completely meaningless. Just delete the damn set and I'll only collect the master set. I'm tired of arguing about this.

Regards,

Greg M.

[Cosetta's e-mail]
Hi Greg,

All of the cards below are defined as being from a ‘main set’. I’m sorry but these issues will not be removed.

Thank You,

Cosetta Robbins

[My original e-mail]
Cosetta,

I'd really like the following cards deleted from the Bill Buckner basic set as they are not regular issue cards:

1972 O-PEE-CHEE BILL BUCKNER

1973 O-PEE-CHEE BILL BUCKNER

1974 TOPPS STAMPS BILL BUCKNER

1975 KELLOGG'S BILL BUCKNER

1978 HOSTESS BILL BUCKNER HAND CUT

1978 O-PEE-CHEE BILL BUCKNER

1979 O-PEE-CHEE BILL BUCKNER

1981 MSA DISCS BILL BUCKNER PETER PAN/SUNBEAM BAKERY

1981 SQUIRT BILL BUCKNER

1982 KELLOGG'S BILL BUCKNER

1982 ON DECK COOKIES BILL BUCKNER DISCS

1983 KELLOGG'S BILL BUCKNER

1984 DRAKE'S BILL BUCKNER

1985 MSA SUBWAY DISCS BILL BUCKNER

Regards

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1981 MSA DISCS BILL BUCKNER PETER PAN/SUNBEAM BAKERY

you mean not every has a few of these hanging around!!!
    not being a player collector myself, but i understand the absurdity of the BASIC set
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Wasn't all this supposed to be recitified over the summer? I remember getting emails asking what sets should be considered for the basic set and voting for my choices. After awhile I received an email stating from what sets cards would be considered for the basic set and anything other than that would be included in the master set. Matter of fact, this is what is printed on PSA's site under Set Requests:

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

Cards for the basic football player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, BOWMAN CHROME, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF (1948-49), PINNACLE, PHILADELPHIA (1964-67), PRO SET, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, SPX, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, TOPPS CHROME, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

I don't see any Kellogg's or O-Pee Chee's on those lists for baseball or football.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    And on the other side of this, I couldn't get a 1995 FINEST regular base issue card included in the Tony Boselli Rookie Set! Not finest refractor or an insert..The REGULAR BASE ISSUE!

I was given the same reasoning about some Beckett Card Guide or whatever.

I agree, they need to toss whatever Beckett manual they are using. In my experience, Beckett and everything they offer (price guides, checklists, grading) are never good, never consistent.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't all this supposed to be recitified over the summer? I remember getting emails asking what sets should be considered for the basic set and voting for my choices. After awhile I received an email stating from what sets cards would be considered for the basic set and anything other than that would be included in the master set. Matter of fact, this is what is printed on PSA's site under Set Requests:

Cards for the basic baseball player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF, PINNACLE, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, STADIUM CLUB, STUDIO, TOPPS, ULTRA, UPPER DECK. Pre-war vintage sets may also include issues from CRACKER JACK, GOUDEY, PLAY BALL, SPORTING LIFE & NEWS, T202, T205, T206, and US CARAMEL.

Cards for the basic football player sets are as follows: BOWMAN, BOWMAN CHROME, DONRUSS, FINEST, FLAIR/FLAIR SHOWCASE, FLEER/FLEER TRADITION, LEAF (1948-49), PINNACLE, PHILADELPHIA (1964-67), PRO SET, SCORE, SELECT, SP/SP AUTHENTIC, SPX, STADIUM CLUB, TOPPS, TOPPS CHROME, ULTRA, and UPPER DECK.

I don't see any Kellogg's or O-Pee Chee's on those lists for baseball or football. >>

Frank,

That's exactly what I thought!!! What was the purpose of the voting then? I'm completely confused...

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Those ARE NOT issues for a basic set.

In the Rod Carew sets, those are all Master set items

(until someone ruins the Carew basic set...it remains cleanly defined)

However, I dont think arguing with Cosetta does any good. I would be surprised if she knew or cared about
    the details of the Buckner set or any other. Its a job...the details of all of these sets would be mind numbing.

Your asking her to referee a issue you have with other collectors who dont understand the bounderies of each set as originally intended.

569 1967 TOPPS CAREW/ALLEN A.L. ROOKIES 10
    80 1968 TOPPS ROD CAREW 3
    510 1969 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    290 1970 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    210 1971 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    695 1972 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    330 1973 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    50 1974 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    600 1975 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    400 1976 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    120 1977 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    580 1978 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    300 1979 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    700 1980 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    49 1981 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    268 1981 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    100 1981 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    216 1982 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    455 1982 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    500 1982 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    90 1983 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    81 1983 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    200 1983 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    352 1984 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    511 1984 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    600 1984 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    85 1985 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    297 1985 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    132 1985 LEAF ROD CAREW 1
    300 1985 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    280 1986 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    151 1986 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    400 1986 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>And on the other side of this, I couldn't get a 1995 FINEST regular base issue card included in the Tony Boselli Rookie Set! Not finest refractor or an insert..The REGULAR BASE ISSUE!

I was given the same reasoning about some Beckett Card Guide or whatever.

I agree, they need to toss whatever Beckett manual they are using. In my experience, Beckett and everything they offer (price guides, checklists, grading) are never good, never consistent.

Jason >>

Jason,

Forget about Beckett and use common sense!! What's crazy is that basic card sets are generally not controverial....meaning that most people agree as to what cards should be included in a basic set. I have seen very few disagreements on whether cards should or shouldn't be included in a basic set. As a matter of fact, prior to 1990 (I can only think of one set that is controversial - the 1986 Sportflics set).

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Those ARE NOT issues for a basic set.

In the Rod Carew sets, those are all Master set items

(until someone ruins the Carew basic set...it remains cleanly defined)

However, I dont think arguing with Cosetta does any good. I would be surprised if she knew or cared about
    the details of the Buckner set or any other. Its a job...the details of all of these sets would be mind numbing.

Your asking her to referee a issue you have with other collectors who dont understand the bounderies of each set as originally intended.

569 1967 TOPPS CAREW/ALLEN A.L. ROOKIES 10
    80 1968 TOPPS ROD CAREW 3
    510 1969 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    290 1970 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    210 1971 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    695 1972 TOPPS ROD CAREW 2
    330 1973 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    50 1974 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    600 1975 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    400 1976 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    120 1977 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1.50
    580 1978 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    300 1979 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    700 1980 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    49 1981 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    268 1981 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    100 1981 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    216 1982 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    455 1982 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    500 1982 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    90 1983 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    81 1983 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    200 1983 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    352 1984 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    511 1984 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    600 1984 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    85 1985 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    297 1985 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    132 1985 LEAF ROD CAREW 1
    300 1985 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1
    280 1986 DONRUSS ROD CAREW 1
    151 1986 FLEER ROD CAREW 1
    400 1986 TOPPS ROD CAREW 1 >>

Actually, none of the Buckner collectors want the aforementioned cards included in the basic set. I orignally requested the Buckner basic and master sets and the inclusion of the oddball cards was added by PSA - not by me. Therefore, the inclusion of the oddball cards is being forced down my throat....

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    was added by PSA

??????

Without someone requesting??

Why has the Carew set not been appended to then?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Frank,

I believe this is for future sets. However, several current player sets contain several non-mainstream or regular issues. It has prevented me from registering several modern FB player sets.

For example, please review the John Elway Basic & Collector Issues Set ?

Small sample within this set ...

1987 ACE FACT PACK JOHN ELWAY DENVER BRONCOS
    1988 PANINI STICKER JOHN ELWAY
    1989 TOPPS AMERICAN/UK JOHN ELWAY
    1989 KENNER JOHN ELWAY STARTING LINEUP
    1989 TV-4NFL JOHN ELWAY QUARTERBACKS
    1990 BRITISH PETROLEUM JOHN ELWAY
    1991 DOMINO'S JOHN ELWAY QUARTERBACKS
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>was added by PSA

??????

Why has the Carew set not been appended to then? >>

Be careful what you wish for! lol

That's kinda what makes Greg's e-mail apply to all of us who collect or own Registry sets...All it takes is another person with a different vision of your set to cause sweeping changes. What's needed are LOCKED IN STONE PSA guidelines that are strictly adhered to for all the different types of sets. Right now there is just too much guess work going on and it not only causes confusion, but also adds to the workload for Cosetta and the PSA Registry crew...Which in turn just makes everything else (adding new sets, new cards, etc) run slower for all of us.

If I were working at PSA, my FIRST order of business would be to establish an SOP(standard operating procedure) for each type of set and ensure that it is followed to the "T". It would make their lives so much easier.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>was added by PSA

??????

Why has the Carew set not been appended to then? >>

When I asked that the basic and master sets be created, I sent lists of what cards should be included for the respective sets. When the basic set went live, PSA added the aforementioned oddball cards which I'm still trying to have removed.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I dunno but some IDIOT added the 1981 PERMA-GRAPHICS NOLAN RYAN SUPER STAR CREDIT CARD the the basic set? This was never issued in pack form? Someone has prolly 500 being graded at PSA and are gonna score when they hit ebay
  • Options
    The problem is that there is no Bill Buckner basic set. Those cards are included in the basic & collectors issue set, which is the set PSA created when they screwed up all of the basic sets.
  • Options
    Sounds like a cluster from the get go

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Sixdart- It's ironic that you used the J. Elway example. I noticed that when I was considering adding my player runs onto the Registry (I actually analyzed the M. Faulk set and was shocked at the cards that were part of this basic/collectors set). Like I said earlier I thought this was all rectified when they asked for the voting, but if it's for only newly requested sets, I'll leave my player runs on my excel spreadsheet.
    I guess I'm very simplistic (or simple minded) when I look at these issues. I would just make all the basic sets what was agreed to by collectors when we voted, and any card that does not fit the basic set, goes into the master set.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I had the same issue with Derek Jeter "basic" set. There was an insert autographed card in the basic set which is a super rare insert and shouldnt have been there. Cossetta help remove the card but there were other oddball card like Denny's hologram cards and other odd ball stuff that I have never seen from the 30 years of opening packs for sale on a shelf. She was very helpful but wouldnt remove the cards and gave me the same Beckett has it as "this" answer. I am still trying to find out where the hell I can buy those denny's hologram cards... I dont eat at dennys or never seen a dennys issued baseball card in my life!!! I gave up and realized they have a huge mess on their hands. Maybe on day they will realize it. Since my contact with her on the Jeter Basic set they renamed the basic set to collector issued set. I dont understand the point of this new naming of a set collectors issued and no basic set? Why have it at all? All it is, is a smaller version of the master set...

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i always thought that a basic set should be comprised of card obtained from regular issue packs (ie not sticker cards, mini league leaders) and were only those that were base cards not a parallel (ie refractor, gold etc.). a squirt card is not a basic card. it should be in the master set. i too thought that they had solved this problem when they sent out the polls and made the new sets. yet i still see bizarre cards in the Favre basic set as well. i think i am going to give up on the basic sets and just stick to the master sets. for a aarron basic set do they include a deckle edge or a johnston cookie? i doubt it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Man I'm glad I don't collect player sets. Sounds like it can be truly frustrating.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Cosetta et al. do a great job at database administration, but they are not card experts. I've been saying for 5 years what Jason is saying, they need rules written in ink, and they need to follow them. When I registered my first set in 2003, the idea of a registry was still new and developing, and I guess there was some illusion that the registrants might be able to guide certain sets in some sort of logiocal direction. I doubt anyone has that illusion now, and like Frank I just track things on my spreadsheets.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I THOUGHT the rule was basic/collectors set would be limited to basic cards issued in packs