Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Ebay changes coming!

What do you guys think? This is what I understand from a leading coin delaer who met:

eBay is pulling back the Certified Coins policy. They’ve had a number
of calls from leading eBay coin dealers and received enough valuable
feedback to identify the pain points and revise the policy. The
original policy relied heavily on the input of the ANA, which is
collector-centric and didn’t fully take into account the impact on the
dealer community.

The intent of the plan is part of eBay’s overall efforts to combat
counterfeiting and fraud. The biggest issue in our category was to cut
out the abuse of ‘junk’ graders.

The revisions to the Certified Coin policy that are in the works are:

— Having individual pictures and serial numbers for lower average
selling price items doesn’t make sense and will no longer be required.
They are in the process of identifying categories to ‘carve out’ of the
new Certified Grading policy. When they do so, we will be able to list
these ‘commoditized’ slabs as we used to.
— According to eBay, they have backed off from enforcing the new policy
— The serial number requirement will be changed so there will be a
confidential way for bidders to verify that coins exist through a
buy-side serial number verification button. However, it will be done
in a way that we will not have to publicly reveal the serial number,
either in item description, item specifics, or images.
— It was recommended that eBay add a Canadian grading service (ICCS)
— For those dealers who wanted to add other companies to the list of
sanctioned grading companies, I don’t sense they will change the list.

Other suggestions we made:
— Clearly announce to the dealer community what the changes in the
policy are, when they’ll be enforced, etc.
— Clearly announce to the buyer community that there is a new policy in
force and its impact on listings
— Make certain that eBay employees can cite the policy chapter and
verse and understand how it is to be implemented
— Reinstating numerical grading terms for raw coins in item titles, as
it is a long-standing industry standard.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comment on this would probably get me banned.image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like eBay was losing too much money on the new changes. Too bad.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think they made up for it in added picture fees
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    So the question still remains.

At what price levels will front/back pictures of slabs will be required?

The serial number verification button will be a nice addition.
    It won't be that simple if you are selling several high dollar slabs.

Well, at least they are going to do something....
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I hope they keep the "pictures of front and reverse" rule. Dealers not willing to photo their coins can send them to Heritage or TeleTrade to sell for them.
    I prefer to see the item I'm going to be bidding on. I don't think thats to much to ask for, with the high prices some of the coins are bringing. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I hope they keep the "pictures of front and reverse" rule. Dealers not willing to photo their coins can send them to Heritage or TeleTrade to sell for them. I prefer to see the item I'm going to be bidding on. I don't think thats to much to ask for, with the high prices some of the coins are bringing. image >>

As much extra work as it creates for the dealer, this is a reasonable request. The only place where it gets tricky is when you have $10-$15 slabs. If buyers want the price to stay low, then eBay might need to find a solution for the high volume dealer.
    Seth
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It sounds to me like eBay was losing too much money on the new changes. Too bad. >>

What really happened is that a bunch of dealers whined and cried about it. The info in this thread was posted by one of them on coinnet.

While I do think that the new policies need tweaking, I hope the complaining doesn't result in a complete reversal from eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    To tell you the truth....after much angst, we've just gotten use to complying with the new rules in our listings....now I kind of like them...

Oh well....
    Eric Woodard,
    National Treasure Shop
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Russ, in my opinion you are an extremely negative person - extremely opinionated yet ignorant. You can call us "whiners" what you want but we are real people with real lives and businesses and if something makes no sense we try and do things about it rather than just put people down and berate them without knowing all of the facts and effects of a policy. I would just try and think about something for just one minute before typing away for once. It's guys like you that hide behind their keybaord for safety and comfort that give this place a bad name (wait a minute isn't this a Bon jovi song?) - anyway, go ahead and bash me like always but if you ever want to take this man to man let me know.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, in my opinion you are an extremely negative person - extremely opinionated yet ignorant. You can call us "whiners" what you want but we are real people with real lives and businesses and if something makes no sense we try and do things about it rather than just put people down and berate them without knowing all of the facts and effects of a policy. I would just try and think about something for just one minute before typing away for once. It's guys like you that hide behind their keybaord for safety and comfort that give this place a bad name (wait a minute isn't this a Bon jovi song?) - anyway, go ahead and bash me like always but if you ever want to take this man to man let me know. >>

Well said Mark. image
  • Options
    This is getting a bit heavy.image
  • Options

<< <i>You can call us "whiners" >>

Okay, you're a whiner - and a spammer. The only time you ever post is to sell coins. Other than that, you contribute nothing to this forum, and never have.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, how about your coin sales link every time you post, 60,000 posts worth? Neener neener neener - you are a child and it is not worth validating your contribution to the forum comment, as you are obviously the knowledgable one that has so much to add - to the rate of 30 posts per day on the average. Who picks all of those ingrowns out of yer arse from sitting in front of the computer all day? Okay, okay i could not resist a junior high repsonse when dealing with you. Ahhhhhh......what happened to my nice informational post?
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, how about your coin sales link every time you post, 60,000 posts worth? >>

Nice try, bunky. I added it less than a week ago. image

Now, see, if you ever posted anything outside of your selling in the registry forum, you'd know that.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hey,

I like you dealers....

Otherwise I have to do this full time to get the coins I need.

I'd rather be a Building Contractor.
    ....Oh, I am one!

eBay policies have made it crazy. I hope we get to something in between.

Everyone keep posting...It can be entertaining at times.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When do the shill's chime in?
  • Options
    Shills? Russ uses flashbashbo handle on Ebay to shill on Madmarty's auction as well as others.
  • Options

<< <i>Russ uses flashbashbo handle on Ebay to shill on Madmarty's auction as well as others. >>

I'm sure you can prove that accusation, right? I'll be waiting for that proof which, of course, will never arrive since you're a liar.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oh, and Datentype, after everybody realizes you're a liar, I'll be waiting for your apology.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    What does this have to do with eBay changes?

Take a chill pill.

Time to take deep breaths and start over.

• Options
    I don't want to get into the middle of a fight, I have bought coins on eBay from both Russ and Mark and they have all been outstanding transaction from my viewpoint.

Regarding eBay's policy, I like the way they narrowed some of the "junK" slabs from using PCGS pop reports or price guides, I believe this stops some of the hype on the auctions. The strick policy of having both a complete picture of each side of the NGC or PCGS slab is a little overboard, I would rather see one picture of the front of the slab with a blow up version of the obverse and reverse (the picture of the reverse of the whole slab is not needed in my opinion). Also if a person has 10 graded coins of the same date, one set of picture is all that should be needed if it is a "dutch" auction with 10 units available. Stock photo are so - so, I would rather see a picture of the coin that I'm bidding on but as long as they have a return policy I can live with it.

JMHO,
    Tim
  • Options
    Mark calling Russ a shill? We must now be in bizarro world. image

p.s. Mark, I'm sure if you offered a few bucks to one of the recipients of the eBay handle you allege Russ shilled with that they'd be happy to do a user request for their name, number, zip, etc. You might even find one that user bought from to get shipping address, payment details, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update Mark. A lot of your hard work and effort has gone into this E-bay policy update and most of us appreciate it. dr
  • Options
    Mark,

Thanks! eBay should be better to deal with now.
  • Options
    Russ, here is what I had forwarded to me from one of your buddies on the boards:

Here's a little tidbit of info. for you.

One of Russ' eBay handles is flashbashbo

Now, check out the underbidder in one of MadMarty's auctions:
    flashbashbo shilling marty's auction.

I just find it ironic he would accuse you of shilling, publicly, yet participates in the same behavior, secretly himself.
    There are other cases too.
    One involved actually being the top bidder ($1,900. or so...) of Marty's PCGS PR69DCAM 1971-S Kennedy a little over a year ago.

Of course no feedback was exchanged as I suspected the deal never really finalized. Russ was simply a shill to raise up the price and his shilling failed as he ended up being the top bidder. What was silly was he even used his primary account.
    ____ PM'ed me that little tomfoolery back then...
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, here is what I had forwarded to me from one of your buddies on the boards:

Here's a little tidbit of info. for you.

One of Russ' eBay handles is flashbashbo

Now, check out the underbidder in one of MadMarty's auctions:
    flashbashbo shilling marty's auction.

I just find it ironic he would accuse you of shilling, publicly, yet participates in the same behavior, secretly himself.
    One involved actually being the top bidder ($1,900. or so...) of Marty's PCGS PR69DCAM 1971-S Kennedy a little over a year ago.

Of course no feedback was exchanged as I suspected the deal never really finalized. Russ was simply a shill to raise up the price and his shilling failed as he ended up being the top bidder. What was silly was he even used his primary account.
    ____ PM'ed me that little tomfoolery back then... >>

My gawd, you're an idiot. Somebody PM's you some BS and you take it as Gospel and post an accusation of shilling? How about I PM somebody and tell them you're a child molester and then they can post an accusation based on that? Get a clue.

Now, you have two choices. Either PROVE your allegation, or apologize. Should be easy. Just search the bidding history for my buying handle and post the evidence to backup your accusation. I assume you have the minimum brain power necessary to search auctions?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    This stuff is a year and a half old now:

There's proof that's his handle as he bragged about buying a SCS 1967 DCAM SMS Kennedy a week or so ago and I looked up closed auctions on eBay and saw that was him.

He also talks of slag glass collecting and uses that handle to buy that too...

Have fun!
    (He mocks easily though and has difficulty taking it.)
  • Options

<< <i>This stuff is a year and a half old now:

There's proof that's his handle as he bragged about buying a SCS 1967 DCAM SMS Kennedy a week or so ago and I looked up closed auctions on eBay and saw that was him.

He also talks of slag glass collecting and uses that handle to buy that too...

Have fun!
    (He mocks easily though and has difficulty taking it.) >>

Of course I have a buying handle, moron. Now, prove I used it to shill Marty's auctions. We'll all be waiting.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I have never bought items from Russ because he does not sell what my collecting interests are. However, I have watched what he has written on this board over the last few years, and have realized he is a class act, very experienced, and knowledgable. Definately a person you can buy from without worries on Ebay. The fact that he has a different ebay ID for buying is not a bad thing, unusual. or bad. In fact it is a common practice for anyone that buys and sells on ebay over a long period of time. I looked at the auctions the that were discussed relating to shilling. I saw no evedince of this. Like Russ, I have gotten to know people on this board that sell items I collect, I bid on those items through the ebay system. Some I win, some I lose. But what I do, seems to be no different than what Russ does. I would be extremely offended if I was accused of schilling (which I do not do, or believe Russ does).

I enjoy the forums, but we need to be very careful about what we say. The coin business is full of cheaters, therefore it does not take much to ruin a persons reputation. Russ has a reputation that is above reproach. You may or may not agree with some of his statements, but his reputation as a "good guy" is above reproach. I have been a pretty savvy guy on Ebay since 1998, I have looked at the situation in question, and have concluded there is no evidence of shady behavior on the part of Russ.

Last year I accused a seller of having a schiller beat me out on an auction. As it turned out I was completely wrong. I appologized and felt like a complete idiot. The seller emailed me with the riot act (which I deserved) and blocked me from further biddeing. Thank got, I did not go public with my accusition on this forum. I learned a valuable lesson.

By the way, what does this have to do with Ebay backing off the policy???????
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, and I thought Jon and I had it bad! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I watched a 68FB dime bring $2600.00 on TT, only now the original owner has the same coin priced for about $1000.00 less in his ebay store.
    Makes me wonder. image
    Dan
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Edited because>>>>>>>>>>>

Boy this thread sure has been twisted
  • Options
    From the horse's mouth:

<< <i>J Daniel Rare Coins here.

I've seen the interpretation of my CCE memo as posted by hisnherz. Hiznherz posted prematurely and out of context: the comments weren't represented as mine and mine alone. They certainly aren't official, as there is an official policy in place. If eBay T&S wishes to amend the existing policy, then they will do so, when they choose to do so.

For the record, I'm a small-to-moderate eBay dealer. I reached out to the coin dealing community through a post on CCE (Certified Coin Exchange) to hear their concerns regarding the Certified Coin policy. As a courtesy to dealers who participated, I posted an update after my meeting. The information posted on CCE were simply my impressions and are completely unofficial.

I attend eBay Lives and eCommerce Forums and have spoken to every Trust & Safety employee who takes the time to listen to my issues. I find them to be highly receptive and grateful for the opportunity to gain valuable feedback from those of us on the other end of computer.

In the keynote addresses this year, eBay executives stated that combating fraud and counterfeiting were a top priority. In my opinion, Alphabet Soup grading services (SSS) are fraudulent and bad for our industry. So does the ANA, of which I have been a Life Member since 1985. As such, I am bound by ANA's rules and my customers enjoy the protection of the ANA Code of Conduct.

eBay is allowed to institute best practices to ensure a 'clean, well-lit marketplace' for all of us, buyers and sellers alike. We agree to adhere to their terms and conditions. If we don't like the policies, we have the choice of no longer selling on eBay. Some dealers have done so in reaction to the Certified Coins policy.

I'm sorry that my comments on CCE were posted outside of that forum: needless to say, in the future, I won't post anything there that isn't official and is taken out of context.

Sincerely,

J Daniel Rare Coins
    jd@jdanielrarecoins.com >>

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000473889&start=52

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, how about your coin sales link every time you post, 60,000 posts worth? Neener neener neener - you are a child and it is not worth validating your contribution to the forum comment, as you are obviously the knowledgable one that has so much to add - to the rate of 30 posts per day on the average. Who picks all of those ingrowns out of yer arse from sitting in front of the computer all day? Okay, okay i could not resist a junior high repsonse when dealing with you. Ahhhhhh......what happened to my nice informational post? >>

Datentype, in my opinion you are a total ass. I hope eBay will reinstate crap slabs in the title so you can buy shoes for your 6 children.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI,
    A while back Russ sold some of my items on Ebay for me and sent me a check before the items had been paid for by the ebay buyers. All 12 items sold and I was quite suprised when I received the check as quickly as I did.

If every sellers photos on ebay were as accurate as Russ's..........there'd be a lot fewer problems on ebay.

JMHO

Anybody who is a dealer and has had time in the last couple of years to track other people's activities and be concerned enough about them to repeat negative things on this forum ------------------is ?????????
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>, publicly, yet participates in the same behavior, secretly himself.

____ PM'ed me that little tomfoolery back then... >>

Hey doofus, did someone supply this info to you, or did you make it up?

Feedback was exchanged on the coin (I saw it), and Russ re-sold it on Teletrade. Russ actually made a public point on these boards about how the 71-S was selling for around $1,900 on Teletrade at the time, but was not selling as much on Ebay, which is why he was happy to buy it for $1,400.
  • Options
    JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭

<< <i>Russ, in my opinion you are an extremely negative person - extremely opinionated yet ignorant. You can call us "whiners" what you want but we are real people with real lives and businesses and if something makes no sense we try and do things about it rather than just put people down and berate them without knowing all of the facts and effects of a policy. I would just try and think about something for just one minute before typing away for once. It's guys like you that hide behind their keybaord for safety and comfort that give this place a bad name (wait a minute isn't this a Bon jovi song?) - anyway, go ahead and bash me like always but if you ever want to take this man to man let me know. >>

You are clueless. Russ ignorant? Russ negative? Give me a break. Russ is one of the good guys on the forum. He is probably one of the most honest people on this board. I would take his thoughts, comments, advice, and input over just about any other poster.

It sounds to me like you are the ignorant one for making such comments. Calling HIM childish also shows who the "childish" person is. Give me a break.
    I love coins...image
  • Options

<< <i>From the horse's mouth:

<< <i>J Daniel Rare Coins here.

I've seen the interpretation of my CCE memo as posted by hisnherz. Hiznherz posted prematurely and out of context: the comments weren't represented as mine and mine alone. They certainly aren't official, as there is an official policy in place. If eBay T&S wishes to amend the existing policy, then they will do so, when they choose to do so.

For the record, I'm a small-to-moderate eBay dealer. I reached out to the coin dealing community through a post on CCE (Certified Coin Exchange) to hear their concerns regarding the Certified Coin policy. As a courtesy to dealers who participated, I posted an update after my meeting. The information posted on CCE were simply my impressions and are completely unofficial.

I attend eBay Lives and eCommerce Forums and have spoken to every Trust & Safety employee who takes the time to listen to my issues. I find them to be highly receptive and grateful for the opportunity to gain valuable feedback from those of us on the other end of computer.

In the keynote addresses this year, eBay executives stated that combating fraud and counterfeiting were a top priority. In my opinion, Alphabet Soup grading services (SSS) are fraudulent and bad for our industry. So does the ANA, of which I have been a Life Member since 1985. As such, I am bound by ANA's rules and my customers enjoy the protection of the ANA Code of Conduct.

eBay is allowed to institute best practices to ensure a 'clean, well-lit marketplace' for all of us, buyers and sellers alike. We agree to adhere to their terms and conditions. If we don't like the policies, we have the choice of no longer selling on eBay. Some dealers have done so in reaction to the Certified Coins policy.

I'm sorry that my comments on CCE were posted outside of that forum: needless to say, in the future, I won't post anything there that isn't official and is taken out of context.

Sincerely,

J Daniel Rare Coins
    jd@jdanielrarecoins.com >>

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000473889&start=52

Russ, NCNE >>

OK....I am a bit confused now. Is ebay enforcing the new policy or not? I just finished ammending almost 200 listings, and it took a while. I have about a 100 left in my unsold folder. Although I like the new policy, and will put up new listings in accordance; I would really like to just click the resubmit button on the the listings I need to resubmit. I just do not want ebay to cancel them.
  • Options

<< <i>OK....I am a bit confused now. Is ebay enforcing the new policy or not? I just finished ammending almost 200 listings, and it took a while. I have about a 100 left in my unsold folder. Although I like the new policy, and will put up new listings in accordance; I would really like to just click the resubmit button on the the listings I need to resubmit. I just do not want ebay to cancel them. >>

The reply I received fom My Rep.

<< <i>I’ve read the thread in the Chat that you referenced, and you must realize that this is second-hand information. That part of the remarks about them having been told that eBay is not currently enforcing the current policies is dead wrong. I have a number of accounts who are getting items ended left and right. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK....I am a bit confused now. Is ebay enforcing the new policy or not? I just finished ammending almost 200 listings, and it took a while. I have about a 100 left in my unsold folder. Although I like the new policy, and will put up new listings in accordance; I would really like to just click the resubmit button on the the listings I need to resubmit. I just do not want ebay to cancel them. >>

<< <i>I’ve read the thread in the Chat that you referenced, and you must realize that this is second-hand information. That part of the remarks about them having been told that eBay is not currently enforcing the current policies is dead wrong. I have a number of accounts who are getting items ended left and right. >>

>>

Thanks!!!!! Not the answer I was hoping for, but you saved me a big hassle in the long run. Well, I guess I better warm up the scanner.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

Thanks mas3387 - I think many share the sentiment that there is no use fooling around with this stuff - if the new system is here to stay then so be it - better to know the truth than to keep coming up with new ways to handle it - thnx again, Eric
    Eric Woodard,
    National Treasure Shop
  • Options
    OK, In regular words.

eBay is not changing anything....

• Options

<< <i>OK, In regular words.

eBay is not changing anything....

image >>

Correct, this thread was started on nothing but gossup.
  • Options
    A little more info from my Rep

<< <i>I just had a discussion with our coordinator, who is staying on top of the policy situation, and his response is that there is every hope that they’ll get the changes instituted before the end of the quarter, but for now everything they announced a couple months ago is still in force and being enforced. >>

So it may be possible to see some change Or we may not as nothing has been officially announced.
  • Options
    Anybody have any idea when the changes start (or where on the ebay website I can see the current rules)? I'd like to list a whole bunch of low value pcgs coins with no photos, asap. Thanks!
  • Options
    I understand that some modifications may be needed to satisfy some sellers, but I am cool with the changes that have been made so far. I have done the neccessary work required to meet the new requirement ( it took me 6 weeks). I am now very satisfied that ebay is working to strenghten their repution in the market place. I vote that the current changes are to remain!!!!!!
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>Anybody have any idea when the changes start (or where on the ebay website I can see the current rules)? I'd like to list a whole bunch of low value pcgs coins with no photos, asap. Thanks! >>

I'd like to know when the changes are implemented as well. Is anyone still having auctions pulled for photos?
  • Options
    I called Ebay. We are back to pre-October rules !!

They are really confused over there!
  • Options

<< <i>I called Ebay. We are back to pre-October rules !!

They are really confused over there! >>

So weird - eBay's coin policy still reads with the new rules - as you say...there could be some confusion over there...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-coins.html
    Eric Woodard,
    National Treasure Shop