Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help ID'ing early coinage (ID'ed as Conder token and imitation halfpence)...

Same post I have in the USCF but I think that one of these is a british half penny (from what my eyes can tell from the picture) and wondering if there is some more help/info from folks here?

My friend's dad has these 2 coins (yes, of all the pics, these are of only 2 coins) that he has had for years.
We were talking about coins (I've known this family for 25+ years) this summer and he finally got them out and took a few photos over the holiday.

I still haven't seen them in person but his son sent me these pictures.

Please let me know if you know what they are (type/date/variety) and approximate grade/net grade/value so that I can give him an idea.
The dealer(s) in his area are really not the good type.....

I am pretty sure these are early US, or coins that were used in early US, but this is a bit before the time period I am used to. Any additional info on these is appreciated as well. Their family likes history and historical items.

Thanks

(I'm guessing one is 1775 GEORGIVS III (Britannia) (not sure of net grade since it seems porous and I don't know how well these were struck) and the other is 1785 or 1788??? Half Penny? British?)

In the order I received the pictures in:

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top one is a Conder token; the Conder experts can field this one better than I can.

Bottom one looks like a halfpenny or farthing of 1775; farthings are 22mm across, halfpence are 29mm or so. Sadly for American collectors, 1775 was the last year of issue of these coins. With discoloured pitting like that, I suspect it's had verdigris at some stage, which has since been cleaned off. According to my Krause, CV for a halfpenny is $8 in Fine, which would be a very generous grade in this case. Farthings a little pricier, $12 in same grade. According to Spink, there are also a couple of varieties of the farthing.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D'oh. image

Why didn't I think of it as a Conder? I was interpreting the "Brunswick" in the legend as a part of "New Brunswick", (even though I knew the word "New" wasn't in there) and was thinking it was a pre-confed Canadian token. For one thing, I had no idea of scale in the photo, and it didn't look big enough to be a Conder token. But I'm sure you're right.

Guess if I weren't being so stubbornly resistant to Condermania, I would have known that.

Sapyx- I think you nailed #1. I am pretty sure #2 was nailed down on his Liteside post, when it was attributed as a possible Machin's Mills counterfeit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the Conderites (Conderanians? Conderese? Conderists?) haven't woken up yet, here's what I've found on #1: Middlesex, D&H 349, "Brunswick Halfpenny 1795" / Man o' War. Two varieties listed in by tiny book, 349 (engrailed edge) and 349c (plain edge).

One for sale on the 'Bay.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick help!

I'll send the info/link here to my friend so he and his dad can see.

Love to know more if anyone knows anything else.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Bochiman,

The 1775 halfpence is a contemporary British counterfeit (AKA - imitation halfpence). It is not a genuine (Regal) halfpence and it is not a Machin's Mills counterfeit. The value would be $15-$20.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bochiman,

The 1775 halfpence is a contemporary British counterfeit (AKA - imitation halfpence). It is not a genuine (Regal) halfpence and it is not a Machin's Mills counterfeit. The value would be $15-$20. >>

Thanks Dennis.

Saw your post on the USCF and am actually emailing my friend now to let him know as well.
    Appreciate it.

If anyone knows more info on the Conder token, that would be cool.