Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for dime collectors.

How come proof examples do not get the FB designation?

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple strikes on proofs. Strike quality is allways higher.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How come proof examples do not get the FB designation? >>

I've actually wondered that myself. I think LindeDad does a good job in answering this question. Also about 99.9% of all dimes would get the FB anyway.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I guess that makes sense, thanks, but it still seems that it would help to have the designation on the pr coins too.
  • Options
    PCGS would have to assign two coin ID numbers for each Proof date, as well as assign two pricing tiers and population reports for coins that are almost always full bands. Why bother?

Garrow
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I actually believe that ANACS does (or did) assign their designation to proofs.....at least, I do recall seeing them do so.
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    There was some discussion on strike and 1950s Jefferson Nickels. In my experience it isn't an issue. Most examples are very well struck. I think the same goes for Roosies. I don't think a FB designation would add anything to the registry. All it would do is underline those few examples that didn't quite measure up to the full strike we expect of proofs.

My favorite proof Mercury dime wasn't full band. It was cameo though. image It was a very unusual coin...
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This same question was asked in reference to FBLs on proof Franklin halves, and the "Strike quality is allways higher" statement certainly doesn't hold, since a large percent of proof Franklins don't have FBLs. Thus, my answer to your original question is that they already identify CAM/DCAM, and with FB, there would be too many combinations to consider.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson