Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How does PCGS grade a Mint error?

For example, if you submit a coin for grading as an error and the coin itself is a solid MS67 but has a die crack. Does PCGS downgrade it due to the crack or is the error ignored and only the rest of the coin is considered? Anyone know the answer to this? image

Comments

• Options
    My experience has been that PCGS is harsh when grading errors. I often wonder if the graders penalize the coin for damage caused by the minting process. Some of the multiple struck coins, while dramatic, can be a mess. Off-center coins can be damaged by the collar when being struck and ejected.

This is a question I would like to have answered, as well.

Garrow
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is that PCGS grades the coin exactly as they would any other coin. The grade is based almost entirely on post-strike surface preservation.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

My experience is that PCGS grades error coins "as they see them"
    I have never seen a 1955/55 Lincoln cent grade ms 66 red because they were not struck as well as a 1955 D or a 1955.The same is true for a 1922 no D Lincoln cent. Therefore it seems much harder if not impossible to get the same grade on an error as a non error.
    Incidently PCGS will not designate errors as cameo or deep cameo.They say it isn't in their programming.

Stewart
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

I know it’s not the greatest picture but this 2003 Lincoln has a large die crack on the reverse. It starts at the rim of the coin follows along the edge of the letter N in one and ends just short of the first step. Coin was graded MS68, don't think it belongs in a 69 holder so I feel it was properly graded and die crack did not effect the grade.