Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can someone look up a 5-mark from the Unusual World Coin Catalog?

My unusual world coin catalog is from 1986. Can anyone with a modern one tell me if anything has changed before I send it off to NGC.

In my older book, it's listed in Germany/Weimar Republic
Under Medallic Issues (M) Karl Goetz Series
Struck in Munich, Bavaria (5 Mark)
Silver Von Hindenburg - Bruce# XM1 KM# M1 Date 1927D shows FDC $35.00

Thanks!
Jeff
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    I don't have my book handy at the time either but that sounds just about right. I picked one up a few weeks back and paid 30 bucks for it. 25-40 Seems to be about the going price on eBay.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    4th edition shows X#1 (KM#M1) 5 mark silver Von Hindenburg valued at $30.00 in UNC, no other values given.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. The only one on eBay I found looked like a chrome-plated one that didn't sell at $60. I was hoping 20 years since my book would have put it around $50. Even after grading, I'll still be OK on it though.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    It isn't a 5 Mark coin but a medallic issue. Originally created as a 5 Mark pattern it was submitted and turned down as a coin design by the Munich mint. Instead of trashing the design Goetz was convinced to tweak the coin design by removing the denomination and thus creating a medallic commemorative. This piece has the highest mintage of any Goetz piece at approximately 1.5 million. Although the value estimate is about right for this piece, Bruce is far from actual value of other Goetz material listed in the book.