Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Advice needed on offing incomplete set

Hello - I am in need of some advice on how to get my money back or maybe even a profit which would be nice for once.

I have 2 sets and its unfortunate but I have to sell one off cause I cant afford to do both. I am not even sure which set to sell?

I have 1 set thats almost 16% complete 1984 topps GPA is 9.76 of 125 cards. on this set estimate cards 3 are psa 8 (NQ) and 20 are psa 9 (NQ) and the rest are all 10s. The set is ranked #5 but if you look at all the other sets this set has the highest grade and has all the key cards that have grade weights 5.00 or above in PSA 10 grade.

I have another set thats just basically started. Derek Jeter master set its 2.04% complete GPA 9.98 and is currently #2 or 3 finest set. The its not much to brag about yet.

If you were me which set would be the one to keep far as long term will be worth the most value?

Also when I do decide on which one I am selling how should I go about selling it to get the most $ back from it?

Comments

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Considering the sheer amount of unopened 1984 Topps material out there, it'll be hard to turn a serious profit on that partial set-- especially when factoring in the set's completion %, you're still leaving a lot of legwork for the high-end collector who acquires it. That said, you have some nice 10s in there. (I assume the MOS notation in the owner's comment boxes means 'your own submission'?) Ultimately it's all a question of how much you have into the set in terms of both money and time, and an ROI with which you'd be comfortable. If you PM or e-mail me (through the 1975 Topps Mini Registry Sets #2 or #10) with a number you're looking for, I can see myself putting in a fair offer. I have three rack boxes of 84T that I once cracked just sitting in my closet and might try to complete the set one day down the road. This might help jumpstart that endeavor. Anyway, I'm interested.

Best luck with the offering,
    MIC

1975 Topps Mini Sets #2 and #10
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    MOS - My Own Subs. and they are #ed 1-3 I have #4 ready 50+ cards. Reguardless of how much is still out there. 84T is tuff to get in Gem Mint. Centering is all over the place. Not to mention the cuts on many cards are bad on the corners where extra cardboard is left hanging off the corner. I have open so far over 7 rack cases that ranged from 3 box case to 6 box case. 1 case that was 6 box I actually got 13 psa 10s from. The set is not as easy as it appears with the dark blue back border. A LOT of people here will knock the set compared to Donruss 84 or Fleer set. I suggest open that case up and start checking out the centering, gloss, cuts, chipping, under 10x and see how difficult it is to get gem mint cards. A lot of those 10s that are low pop like the Dave Kingman pop 2 and other key cards like Frank Viola pop 1 , Bruce Sutter pop 3 or Dave Parker pop 4 are super tuff to find in unopen material. I paid out the arse for those and many other cards on feebay. I have all the records just for ebay cards and its way over then what anyone who doesnt know how tuff this set is would be willing to pay. I dunno I worked to hard on it but I dont think in the end it will be worth as much as say the Jeter Master set. Right?
  • Options
    If you have the rare and in-demand Jeters in high grade you'll always have an easier time finding a buyer for that set, that's the rub. To unload a partial set that's not high-end vintage will always be about finding a true fan of that set. And what's more, IMO of course, many fans of set building like to either do it all themselves piece by piece or acquire a whole set. Acquiring a partial set could, to some, be sort of a half-step. That's why since I've offered my own 2nd '75 Mini set for sale I've received more offers to break it up for a few cards than offers to buy it outright. In contrast, there are always fans of mega-stars who will pay dearly for a prized gem rookie or rare insert of such a marquee player. I guess what I'm saying is that there are more Jeter fans than collectors who can appreciate the rarity of a pop one Gem Mt 10 common card in an 84 Topps set. Bottom line, it'll be tough to turn a substantial profit on your 84 Topps set if you paid premium retail for the cards on ebay. Regardless of their rarity and value to you, the seasoned builder who knows the set well, there's so much unopened out there that your average prospective buyer might rather take his chances than overpay at this stage of the game. They might think in five years the pops might shoot through the roof. Anyways, if you decide to unload the 84 Topps set drop me a line as I'd make you an offer, depending of course on what you're looking for.

Best,
    MIC
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Tim , first off thanks for the interesting thread. Your sets are VERY , VERY nice. There is an old proverb that says " He who chases 2 rabbits gets neither. "It really all depends on why you collect. Most guys are hunters by nature and collect for various reasons. If you are collecting the 84 Topps for the future value, there may or may not be a let down , at the end; as Mattc stated that there are still alot of unopened 84T's for the picking. I collect the 84 T's for one of my very young sons. If all I could afford was the 9's and not the 10's, I'd still collect it, because my purpose is to acquire a nice set for him. It may be worth something in the end, but that's not my primary reason for collecting that set.

On the other hand , the Jeter set, may have value in the end , as he has enormous HOF potentiial, providing, he doesn't do an OJ - type life change. If you are collecting for future possible value, the choice is pretty clear.

Tim , you need to ask your self, "Why do I collect?". Based on that answer, lies your real answer that you are looking for. If I were you, I'd continue to try to do both, unless that is becoming less and less a reality. Although Matty-c has very deep pockets, If you decide to let go of your 84's, please keep me in mind, as I as well as you have a very nice 1984 Topps set, and your cards would be finding a good home as well.

Thanks Tim and good luck, your friend, Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Very sound advice from the collector above, though my pockets aren't that deep these past few weeks as was intimated image I'm a WGA member on strike (can't write or submit contracted work and thus get paid while on strike). That said, let me know what you're looking for on the 84s and I'll see what I can do for ya!

MIC
    1975 Topps Mini Sets #2 & #10 image
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I were you, I'd continue to try to do both, unless that is becoming less and less a reality. >>

For what it's worth, I agree. It never hurts to have a couple of different irons in the fire.

When these questions come up, people usually say that it's the actual effort to assemble the set that's the most fun. The final product is the realized goal, but it's also a reminder of how much enjoyment you had getting it together in the first place.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    fwiw Both sets I have are for my 2 sons after I turn to dust. My oldest is to get the Jeter Master Collection and my youngest son to get the 1984 topps collection. I also collect coins as well. Mainly Mercury/Roosevelt Dimes and Liberty/Washington Quarters. In the past year I spent way more then I will ever want to tell my wife. She would kill me. If I do cont both baseball card sets then they both will have to be on hold for the next year before they can continue...
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>fwiw Both sets I have are for my 2 sons after I turn to dust. My oldest is to get the Jeter Master Collection and my youngest son to get the 1984 topps collection. I also collect coins as well. Mainly Mercury/Roosevelt Dimes and Liberty/Washington Quarters. In the past year I spent way more then I will ever want to tell my wife. She would kill me. If I do cont both baseball card sets then they both will have to be on hold for the next year before they can continue... >>

If both sets are for different sons I'd just collect the set that is for the son you love the most. Tell the other one to quit crying.
  • Options
    Best advice...ever?