Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Gold coin id help requested

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding the country this coin comes from?

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    It's a Muslim gold dinar -- I'm not sure what date or dynasty.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said. Islamic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've been looking in that area, but I'm going bugeyed flipping through SCWC pages and was hoping to maybe narrow it down to a particular country. image
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's old - from way before the Krause catalogues commence. The style looks 'Abbasid to me, but I'm having trouble reading the date and caliph's name. The date is written out in full in Kufic script, and the black smudges are right on top of it. From what I can make out, it appears to be in the late 200's AH, corresponding to the early 900's AD. Back then, the Islamic world was politically united into a single empire, the Caliphate. This coin would therefore be from the 'Abbasid Caliphate.

Check out this example on zeno.ru of a dinar from Caliph Muqtadir (295-320 AH).
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

<< <i>It's old - from way before the Krause catalogues commence. >>

Thanks for the info- I'll stop looking now... image

Tomorrow I'll give it a soak in acetone to see if the black crud might loosen- if so, I can get a better look at it (and take a better picture).