Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The times they are achanging

My daughter just added The Silver Dollars of Africa, by John S. Davenport, a 1959 Whitman publication, to my numismatic library.

Except for a few marked "Very Rare", at $25 this (KM#3) was the most expensive coin pictured:

Roy

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yeah, the times have been a' changin' for a LONG time since that came out. All I gotta do is look at my "Fells Book Of United States Coins" from 1955, to see that. (Morgan and Peace dollars at face, anyone? Or perhaps a search for Shield nickels in circulation as the book advises?)

Even in my own lifetime, it is amusing to see the prices in the 1965 Redbook, the year I was born. Or even in the 1976, the year I started collecting.

Or, craziest of all, there's the 1963 Blue Book.

PS- "Sultan Said Ali"? Is that like the band, "Right Said Fred"? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right Said Fred? The one-hit-wonders responsible for "I'm too sexy for my shirt" (the shirt among other things...). imageimage How did your brain make that connection I wonder...

Nice about the book, I love looking at old price guides (and wishing I had a time machine).

Cathy

• Options
    remember in the early 60's when you could buy gold coins for a little over face?--I do
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options

<< <i>How did your brain make that connection I wonder >>

There's just no tellin'. Scary, huh.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foreign Coin buying price list from 1948:

Linky

Even cheaper back then!
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Yeah, but according to your link, that says for coins in FINE condition (whatever that meant, in 1948), and furthermore, it's a dealer buying price list, so it's wholesale, I guess.

Nevertheless, that's some crazy-cheap stuff. And a fascinating glimpse into the pre-Krause world of Darkside priceguides.