Home› Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I cleaned out my garage today... (pics added)

2»

Comments

  • Options
    HEY, I HEARD THERE WAS THIS GUY NAMED GARY WHO CAN TAKE ALL THOSE CARDS AND RE-SEAL PACKS WITH 'EM......JUST A THOUGHTimage
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>You better hope your garbage man does not tip that can over. I bet that can is heavy as crap. >>



    You've got that right. It's about to tip over. I will probably call Monday night. The trash man runs on Tuesday.

    Shane

  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>LOL. Should have had fun with them...

    image

    image >>



    Oh, believe me, me and my son had fun tossing them.

    Shane

  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    NO! MAJOR CORNER WEAR!
  • Options


    << <i>HEY, I HEARD THERE WAS THIS GUY NAMED GARY WHO CAN TAKE ALL THOSE CARDS AND RE-SEAL PACKS WITH 'EM......JUST A THOUGHTimage >>



    image
    image
    PAVEL BURE "THE RUSSIAN ROCKET"

    I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

    Successful Transactions with: bigfische, BobaFett72, Karb
  • Options
    Idea for a new thread:

    A buddy just called me to say he found about a zillion baseball cards that someone tossed out! This could be the next big find.....image


    Robert
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno why but I thought I noticed some high number 52 Topps in that pile.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ya just gotta dig all those valuable score/donruss lol-its fun to put em on a tree to sight guns in too,see if ya can crack the team logo
  • Options
    Are they gone yet, man I needed that one card in the second picture 3rd box in from left, fourth group in , no the other way, yea that one, to complete my Only Had One Card Ever Made series.....

    oh well
    On the Yankee Bandwagon since April 22nd, 1979 (my first game).
    ______
    Collecting all Yankees especially:
    Thurman Munson, Yogi Berra, Melky Cabrera!

    For my son:
    Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada

    MY Baseball Card Page
    My Player Collection Needs
  • Options


    << <i>I cant believe you can just throw away ones and ones of dollars like that. image >>



    LMAO... "ones and ones of dollars".... man, I'm laughing so hard right now.... that was awesome.

  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    The post where someone said if we all started throwing these out they might be valuable one day reminds me of a great episode of Amazing Stories back in the late 80s early 90's. It had a little boy who didn't want to clean up his room. A fairy or gnome tells him that if he never throws anything away he will be a rich and happy man. So he keeps everything his whole life and ends up unhappy and living with all his junk in the back of his truck. At a gas station a lady notices a rare item in his truck and gives him alot of money. He then auctions off all his stuff and is a millionaire. It was a good story for the collectors out there.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    the funny thing is, i remember that episodeimage
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one little footnote to my story.

    The trashman, who my wife and I casually know, came and got the cards on Tuesday. The next day, my wife saw the trashman in the small local grocery store, and he said, "Why did he through away all of those baseball cards? Aren't those things worth some money?" My wife, knowing more about the hobby than some dealers I know, smiles and said, "No, those cards aren't worth a thing. They mass produced them in the late 80's and early 90's. Those cards were nothing but junk." Then, the trashman says, "Hmm, I thought all ball cards were worth some money. What if he kept them for several years, won't they be worth something then?" My wife says, "They will probably never be worth anything."

    When my wife tells me that story, she also tells me that the morning that they picked up the trash, my 7 year old son was outside before school, and the trashman yells at him and says, "Hey, don't you want these cards?" My son yells, "No, it's nothing but junk."

    The moral to that story - even my wife and 7 year old son knows that what I threw away was junk. image

    Shane

  • Options
    I liked the Amazing Stories about the kids who terrorize all their babysitters. The one with John Lithgow and the doll is good too.
  • Options
    I've throw away 1000's of worthless cards before on numerous occasions. It's very liberating-- it felt like weight was lifted off my shoulders.

    I also throw away old clothes, papers, and many more misc. items
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    John Lithgow was in The Twilight Zone movie with the gnome (a re-make of the old William Shatner one from the TV show).
    Was he also in Amazing Stories?
  • Options
    IRS is looking for fair market value and alot of these places (Goodwill, etc) have tightened up with the new IRS laws and won't accept these items. It's a good idea though.




    << <i>Well, I hate to tell you this, but you have actually brought in a bit of money with those cards if you would have donated them to a qualified charity rather than trashing them. This is actually the perfect way to get rid of unwanted cards that you couldn't sell to anybody for any price, and this is why...

    According the the IRS code for charitable deductions, you can write off your basis (actual cost) in these cards. So, assuming you paid retail .50 cents per pack with 15 cards in a pack (I beleive that it right for the mid-late 90's), you should be able to write off about .03 cents per card. 50,000 X .03 = a $1,500 write off. Of course, you can only take advantage of this if you itemize your deductions, but I'm assuming most people that collected back then are most likely into a house by now, so most are probably already itemizing. For most people, you'll realize about 25% of your write off in actual money gained (less taxes owed). So in this case, it would come to about $375. Granted, that's not going to break the bank, but it's nothing to sneeze at either.

    Just a few months back, I donated approx 250,000 '86-'91 baseball cards to charity, so I'm looking at about a $7,500 write off for this tax year. Eventually, I will probably dump most of the rest of my commons in this way as well, but I need to go through all of them and weed out the possible PSA-10's first. But after that, there'll be about 150,000 more going to charity. One thing I will mention is that all charities might not take this stuff. I've donated a lot of comics and cards to Goodwill in Oregon and nobody has thought twice about accepting them. But when I was down in CA this summer, they actually said that they needed to check if they could accept them. I told them that I had donated similar items in the past and it had never been a problem so they didn't end up checking... but maybe they actually do have different policy in CA... not sure. Thank god they took them cuz it took me over an hour to load up my car with them! >>

Sign In or Register to comment.