Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I finally found a decent 1859 penny

This completes my third year set of Vic coppers; 1853, 1856, and 1859.

Comments

• Options
    I really like those and that one is nice. Is that a die crack on the reverse too?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really like those and that one is nice. Is that a die crack on the reverse too? >>

Yes, it's through REG: most heavily, and it runs down through the helmet as well. Obv. has cracks through the entire VICTORIA & GRATIA, as well as the point of the bust.
  • Options
    Love it! I don't collect them so maybe they are more common than I know but I don't see many of them with any die cracks... Kind of like the US coinage, they are out there just not as common as some other countries.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Great copper. Sometimes I like the Rb's and browns more than the reds. Yours has a great look to it.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice one! Congrats on completion, always a sleep aid to me.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found an 1858 in a bulk lot. image

Not so sure I'd call it "decent", though. image

Actually, for a bulk lot find, it IS pretty decent, but for some minor rim dings...

Man, that is a sweet piece you have there. I do like those big ol' copper pennies.

(Whoopsie- edited to fix a potentially embarrassing typo. In the line above, I had originally typed "...big ol' copper pennis." That sounds scary.) imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent? You call that DECENT?!?

I call it exceptional... terrific addition...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, very nice indeed. Can you post your 1856s and do you have an 1853 PT? Wish I could figure out how to post pictures but will once I get my new camera figured out.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, very nice indeed. Can you post your 1856s and do you have an 1853 PT? Wish I could figure out how to post pictures but will once I get my new camera figured out. >>

Hi 7J, I'll have to check on the 1856 family. I've posted the obverses before in another thread, but my image server seems to be on the blink at the moment. Anyway, my whole batch of coppers are in the process of being re-imaged by Mark G.

My only 1853 penny is an OT.
  • Options
    Would that be Mark Gl....? I love that 1856 date. Hey Mac, are you still looking for the '05 shilling (or is my memory failing?)?
  • Options

<< <i>Would that be Mark Gl....? I love that 1856 date. Hey Mac, are you still looking for the '05 shilling (or is my memory failing?)? >>

Mark Goodman

Nope, not me on the '05 shilling (I've never collected E7). I'll take an FDC with original colour for 50 quid, though.image
  • Options
    Well, will pass on that 50 quid offer. It is a straight up EF and near to GEF.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    The OP has always been a master of understatement...image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Speaking of understatements, it would appear my old image hosting service is now kaput....glad everyone liked the red "X".image

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I thought you already cornered the market on Vickies.. are you still trying to take away from us mere mortals? image