Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is this guy for real?

Me:

Hi you have described this coin as "GRADED BY NGC PL 65" and "SILVER PROOF CROWN " PL actually stands for PROOF LIKE and not PROOF. PF65 would be a PROOF 65 coin.

Seller:

i know what it stands for thank you
but if you put it to pcgs for grading then they would grade it as proof, not proof like as they dont grade as PL.
THANKS THOUGH REGARDS MARTIN.

EBAY]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230193460913&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/L]

Me:

Dear Sir,

If you know what it stands for then surely you will know that a proof like coin IS NOT a proof only that it has proof like qualities. Why did you bring PCGS into it after all it is graded by NGC and NOT PCGS. Oh and by the way PCGS does grade coins PL (proof like) there are many on eBay. Just do a search for “pcgs prooflike” on the eBay.com to see for yourself.

I await your answer. Or I expect you to change your listing as it is misleading. This coin has not been graded as a proof.

Regards,
Hus

Edited to add: I know I missed some commas and probably a question mark or two off my final reply, but I'm just in from work and I typed it up quickly and reposted it off the cuff. [L=LINK TO

Comments

• Linky stinky! Does not work.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Seller:

HI HOW ABOUT YOU JUST GET LOST YOU KNOB JOCKY

Me:

Nice reply. Speaks volumes.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    You should reply and inform him that "jocky" should have an "e" after the 'k'. imageimage
    You should reply and inform him that "jocky" should have an "e" after the 'k image

In all fairness after looking at Krause there is a a 1959 Prooflike Crown listed and he has got the mintage of 2200 correct, but apart from that I don't think he has a clue. I wasn't trying to sound pedantic, at first I just thought he might not have known what PL stood for.
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    One of the interesting things about this, is that PCGS will only give a PL to South Africa and Canadian coins. I have talked to Ron about other "foreign" coins and the PL will not be added any time soon. I have a number of German coins in NGC slabs with the PL, but they will not cross into PCGS slabs as such.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredibly rude response for a totally inaccurate representation of his coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Personally I think everyone should bombard him with "ask the seller a question" messages as the the clarification of this coin...LOL!
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I think everyone should bombard him with "ask the seller a question" messages as the the clarification of this coin...LOL! >>

Way ahead of you... image
  • Why hasn't ebay pulled that auction? no pic of obv. and rev. slab
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us who were not educated in Britain,
    please,
    what is a "Knob Jocky"?
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

As always, urbandictionary.com provides the definition for any offensive term. Guy probably violated some ebay TOS with that response.

Another ebay class act I see....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Bailathacl.

One gains education every day on these boards.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Hus and guys. The auction is correct. PL is a grade for these SA 5 Shilling coins. They were minted in MS, PL, and PF. So NGC will grade a coin as PL65 or whatever. Take a look at their Pop report and you will see they have graded 23 1959 5S as PLxx.

He is also correct when he says it is the second highest graded. NGC has 7 PL65s and 2 PL66s. I think Madmarty many have some of them.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    I know Don but he did also call it " "SILVER PROOF CROWN".
    and "if you put it to pcgs for grading then they would grade it as proof, not proof like as they dont grade as PL. " which as far as I can gather isn't correct. As 3mark says "PCGS will only give a PL to South Africa " coins.

Anyway it was his attitude I was most shocked about. Maybe he's had a bad week or something.

I was a bit annoyed at the time, but never mind. Water off a ducks back. I'll just move on.
  • You guys must have really given this guy a hard time, he ended the auction.
  • RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI, PCGS will grade others PL. There were several Barbados listed on ebay recently graded PL.

RR
    <html />