Home Sports Talk
Options

Torii Hunter agrees to 5-year $80 million deal with Angels

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
ESPN Story

Looks like Hunter had no interest in staying in Minnesota, as I think they had offered him $75 million for 5 years. After you adjust for state income taxes, the two contracts are not that far apart.

Edit: ESPN changed the the amount from $80 million to $90 million -- so I guess they had it wrong at first.

Comments

• Options
    why would anyone want to stay in Minnesota? they can't afford to keep anyone, they wont be signing Santana....plus you get to play in Sunny California and you get off that awful plastic grass.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That sure is a nice story to see this morning.

I'm already liking this new GM.

This is setting up to be a real active off season for the Angels.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Nice pick up for the Halos. He will fit perfectly into that line up.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    espn.com said $90 million. All of a sudden, the Angels have a spare $10 million/year player in Matthews, Jr.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    No wonder we dropped out of the Tori sweepstakes so quickly.

Best of luck to the Angels image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Awful, awful signing by the Halos. Can't get Arod so you settle for this guy? Wow, had his best year last year too and remember, his splits are horrible, he had an awful second half (was on fire the first half).
    I'd love to see my boy Vladdy get some protection, but this is NOT it.
    Jay
  • Options

<< <i>espn.com said $90 million. All of a sudden, the Angels have a spare $10 million/year player in Matthews, Jr. >>

That's the first thought that came to my mind as well. Just what are they going to do with him? They both play a fantastic CF, plus with the other 3 or so quality outfielders they have, someone might be on the trade market. Will Juan Riveira be in another uniform by Christmas; how bout Willits - because you know they are not moving Vlad. Does Anderson stay as the DH? This is a very peculiar signing, a good one, but after sending Cabrera away (who both Anaheim and the Red Sox should have kept) I'm something sure is on the front burner still.
  • Options
    7 starting pitchers, and 2 gold glove caliber centerfielders and 2 super subs in Figgins and Istruz?

and no 3rd baseman.........

I don't think the Halos are done yet. They really haven't spent anything this winter. Garland was picked up via trade and letting Colon go and his 15mil ayear salary makes the Hunter signing a wash.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Look, Torri was good while he was here. Ill miss the guy, but he does not deserve a $90 frickin million dollar contract. Good gawd. Have fun watching him strikeout.

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Look, Torri was good while he was here. Ill miss the guy, but he does not deserve a $90 frickin million dollar contract. Good gawd. Have fun watching him strikeout. >>

It's the way of the times, I'd rather have Torri for 90 mil than Zito for 126 mil.
  • Options

<< <i>why would anyone want to stay in Minnesota? they can't afford to keep anyone, they wont be signing Santana....plus you get to play in Sunny California and you get off that awful plastic grass. >>

I think they are moving into a nice, new stadium in 2009.
  • Options

<< <i>espn.com said $90 million. All of a sudden, the Angels have a spare $10 million/year player in Matthews, Jr. >>

When the story first came out, it was $80 million. Now there is a material difference. However, as others mentioned, Hunter probably wants go to a team with a better chance of contending -- I don't blame him, he has been loyal to Minn for many years, probably time to move on.

At $18 million per, he is probably overpaid -- I don't think he will match his 2007 numbers every year.
  • Options
    Yeah because the Twins arent contenders. They won their division 2002,2003,2004, and 2006.

BOX
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah because the Twins arent contenders. They won their division 2002,2003,2004, and 2006.

BOX >>

great point. No matter how he wishes to make people think about his departure, and there's nothing wrong with it, it is about the money. I'm sure a nucleus that may have included the likes of Hunter, Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, and Nathan surely would have sucked, so no doubt it's all about winning.
  • Options

<< <i>why would anyone want to stay in Minnesota? they can't afford to keep anyone, they wont be signing Santana....plus you get to play in Sunny California and you get off that awful plastic grass. >>

Because they dominated the Central Division for most of the 6 years. Including over the Indians.

Torii is good player and a great leader, Minnesota community will miss him, the Twins however recover just fine. He is really not worth that kind of money though.

Every star Twins player that left the team for a huge contract. It is like a curse. Eddie Guarardo, Corey Koskie, Jacque Jones, Eric Milton, Doug Mientkiewicz, Christian Guzman; they all experienced either injuries that plagued them or big slumps and definitelywere not worth the money. The new stadium is coming and the Twins have recovered every year.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Wow, wow, wow, way too much money for him. image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Torii will probably have a great season or two during this contract. The guy is easy to cheer for and plays balls out all the time. I thought the Twins were nuts for taking the club option at $12M this year, but he was probably worth it. At the begin he was going well he started showing the plate discipline that he always lacked, then the Twins started sucking and he cooled off. Then in late summer he started killing the ball and tried to get the Twins back in the mix. I think someone mentioned he is very streaky at the plate. If he starts out hitting 0.240 for a couple months, don't worry he will hit 0.340 for the next two.

Torii could be worth the contract if he develops his eye at the plate and stays healthy. He needs to raise his OBP from his career 0.324 mark if he is going to help the Angels significantly more than Gary Mathews Jr.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah because the Twins arent contenders. They won their division 2002,2003,2004, and 2006.

BOX >>

They certainly do the most with the least, especailly after nearly getting "contracted". And if Hunter really loved Minnesota, 5 years at $15 million per should have been enough. But now it looks like Hunter wants "instant gratification" with the halos.