Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How much would you pay for this German medal?

How much would you pay for this medal ... how much do you think it's worth ... what price would you expect to see it listed for in a shop in Berlin, in London, in Madrid?

Diameter: 60 mm (~2-1/2")
Weight: 100 grams (~3 ounces)
Thickness: 7 mm

Germany, 1879 "EMPEROR WILHELM I & AUGUSTA WEDDING" art medal, in zinc, signed Langmann, in superb condition, with case.

Comments

• Options
    While I don't collect medals per se, I have acquired a few over the years that relate to Germany and its states. Speaking only for myself, I would prefer something that was minted by the country/state in question and then wonder who may have handled or spent it at one time. I appreciate the beauty of the medals that others collect and also really appreciate the time and patience needed to put together a collection by a design or theme (oldshep comes to mind, he listed a French medal a few days ago that was just absolutely breathtaking in my opinion). But I want something with a known possible completion/ending in mind and I can't see that with medals for the most part (exceptions exist I know). If it were offered to me it would have to be in the 25-40 dollar range for me to even really consider it. If it were a choice between the medal and a coin I needed for my collection, the coin would win every time, even if the medal may be a lot harder to find. I have the Coronation Thaler of 1861 from Prussia picturing both the Kaiser and Augusta in AU that I picked up for 40 bucks and who knows? It may have been handled by one of them causing that wear! I guess it is all supply and demand; find the right two people, create a bidding war and the sky is the limit for medals like that...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I've seen similar designs, but I don't believe I'm familiar with this particular medal. I like it, and if the case is in good condition (working clasp, etc.) I'd probably pay upwards of $50...maybe as much as $100 for it. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $45.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I must be a market-maker! image

I would love to find this medal for $100!

• Options

<< <i>I must be a market-maker! image

I would love to find this medal for $100! >>

So, how much is it image -Preussen
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I paid a hundred and <cough> *ahem* dollars for it from a Parisian dealer. (Less than $200.)

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I must be a market-maker! image

I would love to find this medal for $100! >>

Medals are a funny market. However it always comes down to what the individual thinks it is worth to him at the time of purchase. With no catalogs or price lists floating around, auction, which are damn few, are the only other source. Nice medal image
  • Options

<< <i>I paid a hundred and <cough> *ahem* dollars for it from a Parisian dealer. (Less than $200.) >>

What the heck; it's probably worth that. Nice pick up image -Preussen