Home Sports Talk
Options

Is A-Rod greedy? Are you?

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
If you could throw your weight around and get paid ten times your current salary (still less than A-Rod), would you? Or would consider yourself greedy?

edited to add: I would love to be "greedy". image
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont blame ANY ballplayer for trying to get as much money as he can. I would do the same thing!

Proffesional sports is a bussiness, if you dont produce then you will get kicked to the curb- Thats the bottom line, Owners dont care if you are a "fan favorite" or a likeable guy or not, if you are not putting up #'s that help the team win. your gone. Its that simple....
  • Options

<< <i>I dont blame ANY ballplayer for trying to get as much money as he can. I would do the same thing!

Proffesional sports is a bussiness, if you dont produce then you will get kicked to the curb- Thats the bottom line, Owners dont care if you are a "fan favorite" or a likeable guy or not, if you are not putting up #'s that help the team win. your gone. Its that simple.... >>

Perk,

As a fellow diehard Sox fan, seeing the Sox sign Drew for that 70 mil, I'd rather have had Trot back for 3 years at about 25% of that. Dude played with as much heart as anyone on the Sox.
  • Options
    Mike I would absolutely would have been fine keeping Nixon- on his heart alone! But the upside w/Drew was much greater according to the Sox brass so they dumped a huge amount of cash on him.. A move that was not very popular with many of us Sox fans. Drew steppede it up in a few key playoff games for us image So maybe they knew something we didnt?
  • Options
    The problem people have with pro-athletes, is that they make so many multiples of salary beyond the average person that it appears they are only driven by greed. Athletes also have 24/7 news coverage which further drives home what they are making to play what is essentially kids games.

I look at it this way... the top earners in every profession take home much more than the average worker whether it be a CEO, Successful Doctor, Engineer/Iventor, businessman etc. In our free market society, each individual has the ability to maximize their earnings based on what the market will bear for their services. More power to the athletes for maximizing their worth. When the fans stop turning out to watch the games live and on television, salaries will fall. Until that time, the sky is the limit.

J
  • Options

<< <i>The problem people have with pro-athletes, is that they make so many multiples of salary beyond the average person that it appears they are only driven by greed. Athletes also have 24/7 news coverage which further drives home what they are making to play what is essentially kids games.

I look at it this way... the top earners in every profession take home much more than the average worker whether it be a CEO, Successful Doctor, Engineer/Iventor, businessman etc. In our free market society, each individual has the ability to maximize their earnings based on what the market will bear for their services. More power to the athletes for maximizing their worth. When the fans stop turning out to watch the games live and on television, salaries will fall. Until that time, the sky is the limit.

J >>

I agree. I will gladly take 10 times more than I currently make. Now show me the money!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    me too -id soak em for all i could get,they are knocking down the bucks on ticket sales,merchandise,beer,tv right, you name it, they got plenty to go around
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    When a movie star commands 20 million for one movie, nah it may be a sign of what our society values, but its not greed.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When a movie star commands 20 million for one movie, nah it may be a sign of what our society values, but its not greed. >>

Its jealousy

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

If he was greedy, why not let your agent get you that $350 mill contract?? Instead he does his own deal for $275 mill?? Kenny Rogers flat out fired the same agent and did his own deal. What i really don't get, is how in the hell does A-Rod still have to give a percentage to this schmuck of an agent??
  • Options
    Every couple years we are amazed at some new contract.

Wake me up when someone signs a deal for a billion. Then I'll be impressed! image
  • Options

<< <i>Every couple years we are amazed at some new contract.

Wake me up when someone signs a deal for a billion. Then I'll be impressed! image >>

No kidding! I bet there will be one sometime!
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    im greedy,stinky,dopey,crabby,and doc , im more greedy though,and sometimes sneezy