Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New to PCGS

What are the opinions out there about putting together sets. Should I send in my mint/proof sets or buy coins that have already been graded. I like the excitement of sending in mint/proof sets to see what kind of grade they will get but on the other hand I can buy coins that all have the same grade to put together for a set.
My project: Complete proof Lincoln Memorial set. To accomplish this task I am sending in complete proof sets for grading.

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Welcome,

You have to cherry pick a lot of mint/proof sets to find a matching grade set! If that's what you want it may be easier to buy then build!
    if you are hoping for one or to high grades and average grades on the rest self submit.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Welcome aboard Brother, how you? Why not introduce yourself over on the coin forum. Lots more brothers over there. Just pull down the nagivation bar and go to the coin forum.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they said and welcome.

It's fun building sets. I've been buying since I started. Trying to improve my eye and
    my grading skills. Have fun and be careful! Mistakes are unavoidable. Try and keep them
    inexpensive. image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Should I send in my mint/proof sets or buy coins that have already been graded. "

It depends on the dates. What are you considering for submission?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>"Should I send in my mint/proof sets or buy coins that have already been graded. "

It depends on the dates. What are you considering for submission? >>

Any proof/mint sets from 1959 to date.
    My project: Complete proof Lincoln Memorial set. To accomplish this task I am sending in complete proof sets for grading.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    MS coins, maybe submit yourself. Depends on the grade you're looking for.
    If you're happy with MS64-65 coins, go for it. Looking for MS66+, buy the best you can afford & go on.

Proofs....just buy them. PR69DCAM's for later dates are cheap enough.
    If you were to send some in & they came back any lower than PR69 you'd be losing money.

JMO

• Options
    Isn't it like winning the lottery though. What if you send in a proof set and get back a PR70DCAM.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it like winning the lottery though. What if you send in a proof set and get back a PR70DCAM.

Thanks everyone for the comments. >>

You have a better chance of winning the Lotto. Oh, and welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it like winning the lottery though. What if you send in a proof set and get back a PR70DCAM.

Yup, just like PLAYING the lottery. Always hoping to hit the big one while paying to play.

Don't let me discourage you if that's what you want to do, but from what little experience I have in submitting proofs, chances for PR70 from someone not experienced in grading is a shot in the dark.
    The 'market makers' probably go through hundreds of coins to submit a few & even then only rarely get 70's (I think, maybe wondercoin & others can chime in).

Keep us informed if you do send some in.