Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Mattingly's RC Holy Grail

WOW I never thought I would see one of these any time soon...

Ebay 1984 Tiffany Mattingly PSA 10

For the record I am not selling this card. Just pointing it out.

It looks like a nice one too!

I am drooling...

Comments

• Options
    thanks for sharing. that is a pretty card.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Anyone want to take a stab at what it will sell for?

I am guessing 7-10 K
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone want to take a stab at what it will sell for?

I am guessing 7-10 K >>

Have you been smoking something tonight?
  • Options
    It will barely top 1K
  • Options
    I'm thinking $1,500-$2,000.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Maybe $850, but no more!!
  • Options
    I just bid $500 and was 'outbid'. Someone else put $500 on it too.

My guess is that it'll end up around $750-800.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i'm thinking about $1200-1500 if 2 people go crazy
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Why is it his Holy Grail? It dosen't have an auto, dosent have a logo patch, isen't numbered to 10! image
  • Options
    Of all his rookie cards its the grail no?
  • Options
    Well, I guess for non-standard issue cards it may be, but I think most people think of this as not only the best regular-issue Mattingly Rook, but also the best card of the 80's:

Granted, the Topps Tiffany most likely has a shorter print run, and only 8 of 309 were graded 10's. However, if you're talking about pure rarety of 10's, the OPC issue would match the Tiffany at only 8 of 296 graded 10's. There haven't been any PSA-10 Tiffany's up in the last year but the 9's usually go for $70-$80 and a GAI-10 went for $565 (a little more than the average for a PSA-10 84-Donruss). PSA-10's of the OPC usually go for around $400.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what this goes for. I'd probably estimate in the $750-800 range.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I'm very biased to the '84 Donruss being the 'holy grail', but it's probably the hardest to find and in gem condition.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree,the 84 donruss in 10 would far outweigh the topps tiffany IMO

This Tiffany though may fetch more ($)
    then what an 84 donruss due to its limited printrun?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Well fwiw 1984 Tiffany was the first tiffany set of the tiffany set run. They didn't prefect the glossy finish until 1987 supposedly. I have graded alot of 1984 topps regular issue set cards and finding a 10 in those are a tuff find. I could imagine the 84 tiffany being just as tuff if not tuffer to find in gem mint grade.

edit for typo...
  • Options
    its not even close..the donruss mattingly has more significance, recognition, and is simply a top 50 card that changed collecting at the time...

the topps tiffany was no big deal then, and in my eyes, is secondary (by a long shot) to the importance of the donruss...
  • Options
    Yeah... definately agree with that... both from an hobby impact and eye-appeal aspect, the 84-D rules for sure. I think if you're strictly talking about rarety... especially in PSA-10... then yeah, both the Tiffany and OPC are much tougher (8 each compared to 47 for the 84-D). But bottom line... both of those issues look nearly exactly like the regular Topps issue. Especially when they are slabbed, there's really very little noticeable difference. Therefore, I'd always have to go with the 84D on eye appeal at the very least.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Winning bid: US $1,000.00

I thought this card would have sold for more. Maybe it had to do with the time it ended along with the way it was listed.

Either way was cool to actually see this card 4 sale I never had seen PSA 10 of this card for sale until this auction...
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1000.00? I am surprised it reached that, the 84 Donruss smokes that card for importance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Winning bid: US $1,000.00

I thought this card would have sold for more. Maybe it had to do with the time it ended along with the way it was listed.

Either way was cool to actually see this card 4 sale I never had seen PSA 10 of this card for sale until this auction... >>

I should have bid $1,200 like I wanted to but I thought it would sell for more!