Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting Coins with a story a/k/a provenance

2»

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still waiting for RYK's FUN story, but there is a good one if you scroll down on the linked thread to hear about Sunnywood's FUN acquisition!Scroll down for Sunnywood's Story >>

Well, the 1858 $10 ex-Eliasberg showed up again, this time at Platinum Night at the FUN show. The pedigree was not indicated in the description or on the slab. I was not successful in buying it. image

I also tried to buy the 1859-D Large D ex-Bass, ex-Eliasberg, with a pedigree that goes back over 100 years. I was outbid on this coin, as well. It sold for one increment more than last time auctioned (2004).

So, no good news from me from FUN, but I am working on something else... image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to learn what Long Beach brings.
  • Options
    For anyone interested in checking our a variety of $20 Liberties, here is a link.

Representative $20 Libs over the years
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a very exciting or interesting "story" connected with my collector-grade coin - at least I'm not aware of one - but it does have Jules Reiver as part of its genealogical line.

I guess my funny story regarding it is that, shortly after I'd already purchased it, I checked Heritage auctions' archives of the Reiver collection sold on Jan. 27, 2006, but I didn't see it listed there. image Fortunately, soon afterwards, another CU forum member here (I'm not sure if he would want me to mention his name or not) was kind enough to inform me that, although most of Jules Reiver's coins were sold in Heritage's auction #390, on January 24-28, 2006, some of the lower grade coins were sold in an on-line-only auction on January 30, 2006 (Auction #391) and my coin was sold in that auction.

So, unless someone more familiar with Reiver's collection would like to add anything else, that's the end of my short story. image

My photography leaves much to be desired, but here's the coin; an "1836, small 5C, LM-5, Jules Reiver Collection, capped bust half dime in an NGC, VF-30 holder.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Now that looks interesting, Broadstruck. I've been a Lakers fan since the mid-1970's and saw Kareem, Magic, Big Game James, Stormin' Norm Nixon, Michael Cooper, et. al. play at the Forum a couple times in the early '80's. What's the story behind that coin? I've never seen one before.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    My stories are not famed like people buying Bass etc..., mine are a little more humble and I think fun.

I bought this from David Lawrence, posted it here and found out that RYK owned several months prior and he bought it from another forum member that bought it off of e-bay I think in 1992. The only question is who bought it from when RYK auctioned it off and sold it a few months later to David Lawrence.

To me this is fun knowing that a coin has stayed in this community for so long.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thisnamztaken, another member mentioned in an older thread that Kareem collected coins and could be seen at browsing tables at California shows... this was found on ebay, so that's all I know.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Regarding the history of who previously owned a coin:

Very interesting. Reminds me of a website that allows one to track where their dollar bills go in the world. Apparently you register all your dollar bills by serial number on the website and a computer keeps track of when somone else eventually registers the same bill so you learn where your bill ended up - sometimes multiple times. If I recall correctly the site is called something like wheresgeorge.com.
  • Options

<< <i>thisnamztaken, another member mentioned in an older thread that Kareem collected coins and could be seen at browsing tables at California shows... this was found on ebay, so that's all I know. >>

Ah, ok, thanks. It's intriguing anyway. Maybe someone else will know more about it? image
    - Jim
  • Options
    Ok, I did a search on ebay and there's only one for sale. They say Kareem sold 115 of them from his private collection, and according to this seller you should have received Kareem's autographed book along with it.
    - Jim
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I have coins from Bolender (1885 Morgan Proof), Clapp and Elaisberg (world gold).
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    As the counterfeits get better provenance will become more important IMHO.
  • Options
    Interesting observation. Since your April posting we have certainly seen a proliferation of "replica" coins emerge as a threat to our hobby.
  • Options
    Just curious. For those of you who were/are at FUN, was the emergence from China of the Replica Coin phenomenon a major topic of concern?
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, just saw this thread for the first time.

Here's one I got in 2008. It flew on Gemini 4. During this flight Ed White took the First American spacewalk. Aside from that, this is the only flown gold coin I've seen from the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo era.

• Options
    I believe that is the best way to go when it can be accomplished, nothing like positive history with documentation....
  • Options
    PS

I have a great story but it is not realated to coins it is about an oil painting...
  • Options
    Realone thank you for your interest in hearing my story, its great us as collectors of coins usually have more than one interest, another of mine is oil paintings. I was lucky enough to be at the right time, place and cash in pocket to buy a painting that ended up in a tour of the eastern blocked countries of Europe when the wall came down. I have been an avid fan of Peter Max, not all of his works but a few that catch my eye. One I bought in 1988 an original oil on canvas, titled Midnight Profile happened to have 450 serigraphs made of the same image increasing its importance. Not an inexpensive undertaking at the time, when the Berlin Wall came down Peter hand picked 250 paintings to tour the Eastern Europe blocked countries. Peter picked my painting as one of the pieces, documented in many books with full page images the piece I happened to buy is now one of the most important paintings covered by the media in print, and images seen worldwide. It has been documented many times over and I own the original, Max told me personally it is also one of his favorites...I was in the right place and able to buy...that was twenty years ago....I know the feeling of documentation...
  • Options
    A most interesting provenance!
  • Options
    Would love to see a photo of that painting.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    "Midnight Profile" by Peter Max
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin and story image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin: PR 62 1850 Double Eagle $20 gold piece

The story: As noted on the holder, it once belonged to C.W. Green. Interestingly in reading Breen's book cataloging gold proofs I came across a reference by Breen to the very coin. He noted that there were possibly several Presentation Pieces a/k/a proofs made of the first $20 gold piece available for circulation in 1850. He went on to note that Green was reported to have one, but that he had never seen it himself. In addition, the coin is featured on CoinFacts.com as its first described "Significant example" of the 1850 Double Eagle, and CoinFacts further notes under Mintage, "Proofs: Unique?" An added personal footnote to the story. When David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles I afforded him an opportunity to view the coin and to my surprise he kindly added my name to the credits for sharing the coin. (Click link below photo of the coin and my thumb for CoinFacts description of the coin.)

CoinFacts description of subject coin as "Unique?" >>

""SEGS Proof-62, "Presentation/PL, enhanced surfaces". Ex - Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale" May 27-29, 2001, Lot 4170A, where it was described as follows: "1850 SEGS graded Proof 62 marked "Presentation/PL" and " Enhanced Surfaces". The coin is also pedigreed to Dr. C. W. Green and so noted on the holder. This is the first collectible issue of the United States Double Eagle series. This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike and you can see clearly with magnification that the dies and planchet were enhanced prior to striking...""

How come no one has ever seen any other picture of the coin, besides the poor shot above of just the obverse?

You TTT the thread, yet it's difficult to understand what kind of discussion you're looking for, regarding this coin??image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

The story: As noted on the holder, it once belonged to C.W. Green. Interestingly in reading Breen's book cataloging gold proofs I came across a reference by Breen to the very coin. He noted that there were possibly several Presentation Pieces a/k/a proofs made of the first $20 gold piece available for circulation in 1850. He went on to note that Green was reported to have one, but that he had never seen it himself. In addition, the coin is featured on CoinFacts.com as its first described "Significant example" of the 1850 Double Eagle, and CoinFacts further notes under Mintage, "Proofs: Unique?" An added personal footnote to the story. When David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles I afforded him an opportunity to view the coin and to my surprise he kindly added my name to the credits for sharing the coin. (Click link below photo of the coin and my thumb for CoinFacts description of the coin.)

""SEGS Proof-62, "Presentation/PL, enhanced surfaces". Ex - Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale" May 27-29, 2001, Lot 4170A, where it was described as follows: "1850 SEGS graded Proof 62 marked "Presentation/PL" and " Enhanced Surfaces". The coin is also pedigreed to Dr. C. W. Green and so noted on the holder. This is the first collectible issue of the United States Double Eagle series. This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike and you can see clearly with magnification that the dies and planchet were enhanced prior to striking...""

How come no one has ever seen any other picture of the coin, besides the poor shot above of just the obverse?

You TTT the thread, yet it's difficult to understand what kind of discussion you're looking for, regarding this coin??image >>

I guess you never followed up on my prior invitation. David Bowers had the coin photographed for possible inclusion in his book on $20 gold pieces some years ago.

In any event this thread is more about various forum member's stories regarding provenance of their coins and I appreciate and thank those who have taken the time to contribute.
  • Options

<< <i>Good 'ole Sovereign Entities Grading Service. How is Larry Briggs doing these days? >>

I too would welcome hearing how Larry Briggs is doing even though I do not know him personally. Given the original CoinFacts selection (as linked in my original post) of my "SEGS Proof-62" as their selection for the "Significant example" of the 1850 Double Eagle I have remained satisfied to keep the coin in the SEGS holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

Baley:

…..
    ; >>

Retrieved a few coins for photographing today. Just for Baley, here is a photo I took today of the subject coin's reverse:

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provenance needs to be verified just as much as the coin itself. If you have any doubt about this watch last Sunday's "60 Minutes" segment about the German art forger.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    The CoinFacts description:

The finest Uncirculated example graded by PCGS is a single MS-64.
    In August, 2004, NGC published a partial population report of gold coins recovered from the shipwrecked SS Republic. Included were 54 1850 Double Eagles, ranging in grade from EF-40 to MS-61.
    Significant examples:
    SEGS Proof-62, "Presentation/PL, enhanced surfaces". Ex - Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale" May 27-29, 2001, Lot 4170A, where it was described as follows: "1850 SEGS graded Proof 62 marked "Presentation/PL" and " Enhanced Surfaces". The coin is also pedigreed to Dr. C. W. Green and so noted on the holder. This is the first collectible issue of the United States Double Eagle series. This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike and you can see clearly with magnification that the dies and planchet were enhanced prior to striking..."
  • Options
    I was prompted to dig up this old thread after just reading in the Appendix of Michael Moran and Jeff Garrett's just published book, "1849 - The Philadelphia Mint State Gold" (Whitman Publishing Company, 2016) at page 290 the following:

"There is reportedly a proof example of the date [1850 Double Eagle] that has been seen in Paris, France. ..... This coin would be an incredible addition to the population of great Double Eagles . Perhaps the coin will someday reach the shores of the United States."

Also of note it appears that a new category of "Proof 1850 Double Eagles" has now been added to the currently updated CoinFacts site now that it has been affiliated with PCGS. Therein reference is made to a "cleaned" Proof 61" 1850 Double Eagle that had been seen in a Paris museum.

It would certainly be of interest to compare my "PR-62" with the "Cleaned" PR-61, if and when photographs surface.

By way of reference below is a summary of several of the prior posts on this thread relating to the backstory on my coin:

The attribution as provided by firstmint with regard to my 1850 Double Eagle:

"That is certainly a distinctive coin. However, in 1949, when Max Mehl catalogued it, he disagreed with the Proof designation.

Mehl had numerous real twenty dollar proofs (from 1871 to 1907) in the same sale to compare this item with, including a 1904, that Green purchased as a Proof, that Mehl correctly catalogued as "brilliant uncirculated with proof surface".

To have this in a TPG holder now, and labeled as a Proof (according to Breen) is a real misnomer. There is no evidence there were any ever presented as special pieces.

IMO, the coin is a first strike from the regular production dies, that happened to get saved and ended up in numismatic channels.

That would be the real story behind this nice coin.

Edited to add the rest of the story -

After doing some quick research and looking for an answer to the reason for such a coin being saved, I uncovered the original appearance for this particular coin.

It came from the James B. Longacre estate (the coin's designer), and was sold in the January 21, 1870 auction sale conducted by
    M(oses) Thomas & Sons in Philadelphia. It was lot #178.

The lot description was: "1850, Double Eagle, proof. This piece was from the first dies used for the double eagle, and might be termed a trial piece."

There were also three 1848 CAL Quarter Eagles listed as being proof. However, most everything in the past that was prooflike has been catalogued and sold as a proof, even though that is not the case.

I believe the J B Longacre pedigree (as a first strike) is much more significant than the C W Green listing as a proof w/ enhanced surfaces."

In response to firstmint's attribution, numisma of O.C. Rare Coin & Bullion added:

"I believe the J B Longacre pedigree (as a first strike) is much more significant than the C W Green listing as a proof w/ enhanced surfaces.

I agree. That is an important fact that you provided northcoin and can only add to the allure and historical significance of the piece (as well as the value). Nice work firstmint! This is proof that it pays to have an extensive library.

In today's fast pace numismatic world coins are traded quickly and often. As such, provenance and other historical facts associated with the coins tend to get lost in the transactions, which is regretful. "

The following may also be if interest to anyone who has read this far with regard to my 1850 Double Eagle:

As noted on the holder, it once belonged to C.W. Green. Interestingly in reading Breen's book cataloging gold proofs I came across a reference by Breen to the very coin. He noted that there were possibly several Presentation Pieces a/k/a proofs made of the first $20 gold piece available for circulation in 1850. He went on to note that Green was reported to have one, but that he had never seen it himself. In addition, the coin is featured on CoinFacts.com as its first described "Significant example" of the 1850 Double Eagle, and CoinFacts further notes under Mintage, "Proofs: Unique?"

An added personal footnote to the story. When David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles I afforded him an opportunity to view the coin and to my surprise he kindly added my name to the credits for sharing the coin. ) At the time David Bowers was compiling his book on Double Eagles the coin's earlier auction history and connection to Longacre's personal collection, as above described, had not yet been learned.

In addition, here is the above referenced "Coin Facts" description of the coin and its more recent auction history:

Significant examples:
    SEGS Proof-62, "Presentation/PL, enhanced surfaces". Ex - Superior Galleries' "Pre-Long Beach Sale" May 27-29, 2001, Lot 4170A, where it was described as follows: "1850 SEGS graded Proof 62 marked "Presentation/PL" and " Enhanced Surfaces". The coin is also pedigreed to Dr. C. W. Green and so noted on the holder. This is the first collectible issue of the United States Double Eagle series. This coin has a beautiful bold strike with full stars and all other details sharp and clear. The fields are Prooflike and you can see clearly with magnification that the dies and planchet were enhanced prior to striking..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file