I just had to look it up ;-)

http://www.usmintquarters.com/starnotes.htm

Jerry
CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "star" note is a replacement note for one that was destroyed during the printing process. They have to account for all the serial numbers, so if they mess one up during printing and it has to be destroyed, they have to replace that serial number. The resulting new note with that serial number has a star by the number, to indicate it is a replacement.

I have found a number of $1 star notes in circulation. They are worth a small premium only. Once I found a 1950 $100 star note when I cashed my paycheck! That was when I was really poor, though, so I couldn't afford to keep it. Since it was circulated, it wasn't really worth enough for a dealer to buy it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Visit the Currency Forum. Do a search on the word "star" and there will be plenty of discussions and pictures. The issuance of star notes started in 1910 to replace damaged and misprinted notes discovered during printing and packaging at the BEP. Many star notes are very scarce to rare and often command significant premiums over normal notes.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    Found this in circulation a few weeks back.

• Options
    Does any one have a favorite website for star note values?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    I have a 1950 crisp $10 note.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • Options
    Star notes aren't really worth much unless it's a low serial number or an older bill, like a silver certificate.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Star notes aren't really worth much unless it's a low serial number or an older bill, like a silver certificate. >>

Not true! Many banks with low number printed within the past few years have premiums over face value, and can be quite valuable in new condition. Also, some star issues for $1 silver certificates may not have significant premiums. For instance, over 300 million star notes were printed for 1957 $1 silver certificates and are worth $2-$3 in circulated condition and approximately $12 in new.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    Thanks to those of you responded to my question. But, none of you answered it! image I was just wondering if there is a place where I can research the values?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Mary, I wasn't able to find a site exclusive to star notes. But here's an idea. Drop by Ebay occasionally and see what's up for grabs. Maybe from them you can figure out its relative value. Here's what I found listed today on Ebay for Star Notes

Happy Thanksgiving!

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to those of you responded to my question. But, none of you answered it! image I was just wondering if there is a place where I can research the values? >>

Ebay and Heritage are probably the best sites by looking at past auction performance. Also, there are a lot of collectors on the Currency Forum that can answer any questions about particular notes.
    Jim Hodgson