Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Seller's remorse (just sold my Wilson Frank set)

OK, we've all done it, right? Broken down and sold it.

Ugh.

Just got the check for my Wilson Set set that was #1 for a couple years, took me about 15 years to build and up-grade, and always considered my signature set.
While the money will be nice, the cards are gone ay voo.

A few tid-bits about it, to bore you all, before I say good by to them.

*I bought a Campenella at a Detroit show in the early 80's for my first card.

* At one point was only $100 away from selling an ungraded group lot to Wayne Varner in the late 80's. (whew!)

*Got a Jablonski (ungraded) 5 years ago on ebay for $500 and the seller sent the card in a sleeve in a standard envelope to me. (can't believe it made it)

* Thought I overpaid immensely by getting the Ted Williams card in an SGC ex/mt holder from Drent for $4600 ten years ago.

* I actually broke the SGC holder to submit to PSA......yes, I was shaking.....just a little.

*Turned down several cards that were a tad off center and held out for dead centered cards which took extreme patience. I had only one o/c card in the set.

* I think I paid $50 for the Richards - which miraculously graded out a 5 from Verkman. (those were the days)

* Sold a PSA 8 Sammy White and a PSA 8 Andy Pafko to Craig Roehrig for $600 before I was serious about completing the set in the late 80's for my biggest regret. (oh well, at the time it was a nice profit. I bought them ungraded from Charles Conlan for like $60 each) (miracle #2)

* Two cards you NEVER see offered: Richards, Jablonski.

Anyway, before I ingest any more Crowne Royal, I will attest to anyone that commits one's self to one set, and upgrades when possible - it is worth it, and hopefully the check you get contradicts the seller's remorse you have when it's all said and done.

Tip your drink tonight to those wacky cards they put in packs of hot dogs back in the day and I'll toast you back!image

Comments

• Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Good memories I'm sure. Use the money to make more.

Toast to you on your next adventure.

Jerry
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Scott-
    It was a great set, and it has gone to a very good home (not my home, but still a good one).
    I'll agree Jablonski is the toughest card in the set, but think Groth is tougher than Richards.
    Best of luck on your future endeavors- as Jay Wolt so wisely stated "we don't own these cards, we just hold them a while"

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Scott - that's huge. Congrats on the sale of so important a set. Clearly you have fond memories, as you should, and seemingly no regrets.

<< <i>* Sold a PSA 8 Sammy White and a PSA 8 Andy Pafko to Craig Roehrig for $600 before I was serious about completing the set in the late 80's for my biggest regret. (oh well, at the time it was a nice profit. I bought them ungraded from Charles Conlan for like $60 each) (miracle #2)
    >>

I think the Crowne Royal might have messed up the description of this miracle - I know you didn't sell any PSA cards in the late '80s. Take 2 aspirin and explain this in the morning.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    On a lighter note what are you going to get now? I just broke up my '59 set and with the mula I picked up a nice '54 Aaron.

Keep us posted!
    Jeff
  • Options

Congratulations on the sale, and thanks for sharing some of the history of putting the set together. It's an interesting read.
  • Options
    ahh, the long road traveled completing a set...fond memories...may they always be with you (the memories not the cards)

they say you never own a set, you just take care of it for the next generation!

hope you remembered to take an aspirin and a glass of water before you went to bed...
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Tremendous accomplishment Scott!

Definitely a double edged sword when you finally sell your signature set off. The pain of selling off my 72 Topps was definitely assuaged by the money that it brought in (and eased my wife's questioning of my spendng money on cards) but it definitely was a difficult decision...

What are you going to do with your new found wealth?

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

You have both my congratulations and condolences on the sale of your set. Your regrets have the air of a proud father sending his first born off to college. While it's the goal of any father to send his children off into the world, it's still bittersweet. Thanks for sharing some of your memories.

Bob

P.S. Maybe the new owner will post pictures so you can have visitation. image
  • Options

<< <i> Maybe the new owner will post pictures so you can have visitation. >>

Doubtful, I hear he's an ornery SOB!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Maybe the new owner will post pictures so you can have visitation. >>

Doubtful, I hear he's an ornery SOB! >>

YOU BOUGHT THEM?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Doubtful, I hear he's an ornery SOB!

YOU BOUGHT THEM? >>

Hmmm. As soon as you hear the new owner is an "ornery SOB", you assume it's me? Thanks. image
  • Options
    no i meant griffins...

jk
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Bro-
    You made the right decision. I sold my #2 set right behind your beast back nine months ago to another collector. If I would have gotten the offer that you got, I would be drinking too. I sold my set to a friend and I thought my deal with him was good for both of us. The high grade cards from this set brings out some real collectors. I had a lower grade set which I sold in the last Mastro auction. I thought the set sold lower than it should have. I kind of regret this sale.

As for the set- The Jablonski is the toughest card. I would say the next two tougies are Richards and Hack. I would place the Groth as #4 hardest, maybe I was lucky to find them so quickly on all three sets. The Campy is the hardest star in my opinion. Feller and Slaughter are the easiest stars to find. The easiest commons would be Sammy White and Stephens in mid grade, but I think it changes a little when you get north of nrmt status.

In closing, I think you made the right deal. You have the cash now to work on some of those stupid, hard sets you have been chasing.

I have a lead on a vg/ex to ex set for $10K.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cool story sorry to see it go myself now...

but we're only holding these cards for someone else.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>I think the Crowne Royal might have messed up the description of this miracle - I know you didn't sell any PSA cards in the late '80s >>

late 80's, mid 90's, I guess they kind of run together. You're right. And boy, I had my share of drinkys that night. yikes~

Anthony, tough call on the Richards/Groth rarity. I could only muster a PSA 3 on my Groth, you may be right. Ever notice how the hot dog pack on that card is even bigger than others?

Already picked up a couple cards for my next Wilson (slightly lower grade) set. Hook me up Shane!

And yes - 1971 Greatest Moments completion is first in order.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Send me a list of those that you are looking for and I will get some of them for you. There is a big difference in a PSA 3 card vs. a PSA 6. I am making an all PSA 5/6 set.

I have some extra 71 GMS that you might need as well.

Shaneleo@aol.com

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Fandango- Not me, I've already got a set, although it's not nearly as nice as Scottie's. The new owner, like the old one, is a friend, so I was just poking some fun.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I have a Campy PSA 3 that I may be looking to sell/trade.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive always wondered how the heck they inserted these cards in Hot Dog packages? Anyone?
  • Options
    Congrats on getting out Scott, only wierdos collect that set.

email me your needs as I have almost 3 complete sets now. image
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable