Home Sports Talk
Options

People need to lighten up on Bonds

I'm getting sick of Bonds bashing. I mean, McGwire juiced, Sosa, Palmeiro, David Eckstein, most of the pitchers in the late 80's and 90's. Bonds just happens to be the king of the steroid era. The government has no business prosecuting him for perjury considering that Scooter Libby was convicted of the same crime (except he lied about a much more serious issue) and sentenced to prison only to have Bush commute his sentence. If Scooter did no time, why should Bonds? Everyone in baseball knew all about the juicing. If Bonds is going to catch so much hell, I think the team owners and league officials should have to give back every dime they made in profit during the roid era. Maybe they could give all their earnings to UNICEF or some other worthy charity.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Thank you
    Wondo

• Options
    Are you bothered by all the crooks that Clinton let off also??

Just wondering.....
  • Options
    You know what? Giambi ultimately told everyone the truth. It hurt his image a lot, but he's still playing and making millions. The lesson? Tell the truth, and your life goes on. Bonds lied to the feds. He's going to jail. They took Martha Stewart down for the same thing, and she did time. Crying about Scooter Libby is so incredibly lame. So he drew the Get Out Of Jail Free Card. So what? No Presidential pardon this time.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ive been to the womens prison here in wv where martha stewart was,when i was down there visting a chick tried to escape,she didn't know the train goes all the way around it and back in a circleimage so she didnt get far,right where she started!
    more like a college campus than a prisonimage

well only have to hear about barry and oj on tv till this this time next yearimage
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with you completely.

Bonds is symbolic of this era of what we call baseball now. To get him, will HOPEFULLY get this game back on track. If it doesn't many people are going to lose a lot of respect for the game, and demand that the owners of the ball clubs holds their players to greater responsibilities. The ball players are making too much money to be fakes, and we as paying customers need to demand that MLB enforces new regulations in the game. I feel that MLB has a lot of ground to make up because of poop head Selig always turning his head the other way. I truly hope that MLB enforces mandatory testing of every player frequently. Look at what they try to do for the Olympics. I believe that baseball should do the same.

We'll see what happens.

Barry Bonds, you suck!

-Jeff
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and OJ didn't kill Goldman and his ex-wife too.

If Bonds broke the law, he should suffer the consequences. I look forward to the Mitchell report, hoping it names names. Baseball will be better off when the air has been cleared.
  • Options
    It makes no common sense in repeating poor historical decisions, period
  • Options
    Bonds lied to a grand jury. If baseball wants this all sorted out put every player on every major league roster in front of a grand jury. See how it shakes out. I personally think he is guilty, but why is he the lightning rod for the steroid era?
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bonds lied to a grand jury. If baseball wants this all sorted out put every player on every major league roster in front of a grand jury. See how it shakes out. I personally think he is guilty, but why is he the lightning rod for the steroid era? >>

Thats easy....because he broke one of the most honored record of all of sports.
  • Options
    If you lie to the feds your ultimately gonna pay the price. Yes he has the most prestigous record in sports which is already tainted by the asterick. Lock him up and throw away the key so we can be done with this issue already.
  • Options
    to the OP.....you seem to be forgetting on little important detail.........

Bondz broke the most famous record in all of sports,in all the world ..the other cheaters didnt....

the US government wanted to go after the biggest fish and make an example...BUSH didnt want to let baseball flop while he was president and he made sure the US govt NAILED BONDZ..... AND THEY DID OH HAPPY DAY!

if you cant see WHY THEY ARE GOING AFTER BONDZ then you really must take your blinders off....
  • Options
    "BUSH didnt want to let baseball flop while he was president and he made sure the US govt NAILED BONDZ"

I heard Pujols is next...(according to sources on the board) lol

Bush can barely tie his shoes, and he's busy with his debacle in the middle east, I don't think he's worried about baseball.... unless! he is SO focused on Bonds it's affecting his foreign policy lol. yeah, that explains his incompetence image
  • Options

<< <i>Bonds*

image >>

You are going to need more needles and syringes. And don't forget the flaxseed oil.
  • Options

<< <i>to the OP.....you seem to be forgetting on little important detail.........

Bondz broke the most famous record in all of sports,in all the world ..the other cheaters didnt....

the US government wanted to go after the biggest fish and make an example...BUSH didnt want to let baseball flop while he was president and he made sure the US govt NAILED BONDZ..... AND THEY DID OH HAPPY DAY!

if you cant see WHY THEY ARE GOING AFTER BONDZ then you really must take your blinders off.... >>

Uh, Bush has nothing to do with case. Not to get political, but as was pointed out earlier, by Bush letting off Libbey for the same issues, he is condoning Bonds lying to the Grand Jury.

This case is about lying about using Steroids, not using Steroids.

J
  • Options
    i caught ya knoching at my celler door-i love ya baby can i have some more
    i seen the needle and the damage done--neil youngimage
  • Options

<< <i>to the OP.....you seem to be forgetting on little important detail.........

if you cant see WHY THEY ARE GOING AFTER BONDZ then you really must take your blinders off.... >>

OK, no wonder this country is in such bad shape. First, you're saying that Bonds deserves to be punished harder because he was a better player than the other juicers. Second, Bush is going to clean up baseball and bust Bonds for lying to investigators and grand jury. Meanwhile, he has no problem letting Scooter off the hook for lying over an issue that concerned national security. Maybe race has something to do with it.
  • Options

<< <i> Crying about Scooter Libby is so incredibly lame. So he drew the Get Out Of Jail Free Card. So what? No Presidential pardon this time. >>

No, it's not lame. It's a very valid point. It basically tells everyone that it's OK for Scooter to lie to cover up for misdeeds of members of the GOP but it's the worst crime imaginable for a jock to lie about adjusting his hormone level.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Crying about Scooter Libby is so incredibly lame. So he drew the Get Out Of Jail Free Card. So what? No Presidential pardon this time. >>

No, it's not lame. It's a very valid point. It basically tells everyone that it's OK for Scooter to lie to cover up for misdeeds of members of the GOP but it's the worst crime imaginable for a jock to lie about adjusting his hormone level. >>

Lieing to the feds is unacceptable under any circumstances. So because Scooter got a pardon you think it's ok now for everyone to lie to the feds? It's just a ridiculous argument. Did Bonds do wrong or not when he lied to the feds?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, it's not lame. It's a very valid point. It basically tells everyone that it's OK for Scooter to lie to cover up for misdeeds of members of the GOP but it's the worst crime imaginable for a jock to lie about adjusting his hormone level. >>

Lieing to the feds is unacceptable under any circumstances. So because Scooter got a pardon you think it's ok now for everyone to lie to the feds? It's just a ridiculous argument. Did Bonds do wrong or not when he lied to the feds? >>

I don't think anyone is condoning lieing. People are taking issue with the statement that Bush is cleaning up baseball which is as far from reality as the Iraq war being over.

J
  • Options

<< <i>It makes no common sense in repeating poor historical decisions, period >>

Again I restate my case concerning Libby.
  • Options
    Oh man...someone already playing the race card...oy vey....man we live in dumb times!!!

Bonds is a cheat and a liar....let him face his retribution.....it's that simple!!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>BUSH didnt want to let baseball flop while he was president and he made sure the US govt NAILED BONDZ >>

With all the time, energy, and tax-payer dollars going into this case, it had better come out that Barry Bonds is actually Osama Bin Laddin in disguise.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Maybe, all this will actually help PETE ROSE. His record is not tainted, he just is. The stupid commish needs to let Mr. Rose in the HOF as a player- but ban him from every other activity..oops that cat is out of the bag. Gaylord (lol - his mum had a sense of humor) Perry should have his hall pass revoked for cheating also. Which greenie poppers/ cokeheads from the 70's should we go after next.? What about the drumks and adulterers from the 50's and 60's? Are there any draft dodgers from WW2 we should know about? The racists who kept negro leaguers out of baseball for decades? If Barry played for YOUR TEAM la la la shut the heck <obvious cussword avoidance> UP!
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    No, not so much. He could've fallen on his sword like Giambi did, and would've skated by with minor embarrassment. Instead he lied to a federal grand jury. This is still a nation of laws, and accountability matters. He is merely being held to account for his actions, which is quite proper.

As far as comparing this to Scooter Libby's case, it's apples and oranges. If you didn't like the pardon that Bush gave, vote for Hillary next year to express your dissatisfaction.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, it's not lame. It's a very valid point. It basically tells everyone that it's OK for Scooter to lie to cover up for misdeeds of members of the GOP but it's the worst crime imaginable for a jock to lie about adjusting his hormone level. >>

I will bet you a year's supply of whatever Kool-Aid you drink that you do not have the slightest idea what Scooter Libby was convicted of lying about. {Hint: it had absolutely nothing to do with the misdeeds of anyone in the GOP.} I will bet you another year's supply if you can tell me what leaked information was traced back to Scooter Libby. {Hint: this is a trick question.} I will bet you yet another year's supply if you can prove that you can tie your own shoes.

Now, you may or may not have a useful thought about Bonds so please carry on that discussion. But for the love of all that is holy, please never - EVER, EVER, EVER - attempt to discuss politics again. You are making my brain bleed.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    pppssst -barry fibbed-pass it onimage