Home Sports Talk
Options

R.I.P. Joe Nuxhall

In case of those who haven't heard, we in Cincinnati have lost a Legend last night. Joe Nuxhall died at a local hospital at 10:55 Thursday evening of complications of Lymphnoma. He went into the hospital on Monday with pneumonia and was scheduled to have a pacemaker placed today, but he didn't make it through the night. He was battling a bout of Lymphnoma for the fourth time and this time it got the best of him.

Joe Nuxhall, played his first game as a 15 year old. At 15, his fastball registered an amazing 85 mph. Story is that he caught a bus from his hometown of Hamilton, Oh and took it to Crosley Field. Being a 15 year and pitching in the majors is a record and will be a record that will never be broken. He won 135 games as a major league pitcher.

In 1967, he turned to commentating Reds baseball games where he broadcast on 700 WLW till his retirement in 2004. From 2004 till 2007, he would broadcast Reds games every now and then. It didn't get any better than listening to Marty and Joe on the radio. I would often watch the Reds on tv, mute the tv and turn on 700 WLW to catch the duo. Every time he signed off the radio he would say "this is the old left hander, rounding third and heading for home." The famous sign off is on the outside of The Great American Ballpark.

Aside from his baseball career, he was a very humble and passionate man. He always took the time to say hi to you, whomever you are. His charitable contributions to the communities of Hamilton, Fairfield and Cincinnati Oh are priceless. Losing Joe, was like losing grandfather, father, uncle or a best friend. Joe defined baseball in the city of Cincinnati before Jackie Robinson ever entered baseball.

Please show your support to Joe and his family and help him get to the Hall. You can go to www.hofjoe.com and vote for Joe to get into the Hall. (This is the 2007 Ford C. Frick Award--Baseball broadcasters HOF)

R.I.P Joe Nuxhall 1928-2007

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    He, like Ernie Harwell made baseball fun to listen to on radio.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

RIP
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just went and voted for Joe, I can still hear him saying "This is the old left-hander, rounding third and heading for home."

• Options

<< <i>Just went and voted for Joe, I can still hear him saying "This is the old left-hander, rounding third and heading for home." >>

Thanks alot for your support!image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    always sad to see a legend fall

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Some of my earliest memories include hearing Marty & Joe nightly on the radio! Living in SoCal these days, I had a rare opportunity a couple of years ago while visiting in Cincy to attend a Bob Evans grand opening and have my picture taken with "The Old Left-Hander" along with my three year old son. He will never remember Nuxhall or recall the summer sound of his voice calling Red's games, but the picture holds a lot of meaning to me!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    To simply state, very nice cincykid!
  • Options
    Going to Joe's layout tonight at Fairfield HS. Will be sad occasion. However, through all the sadness that gleamed over the city the last couple of days, we recieved word that officials are trying to rename The Great American Ballpark- Joe Nuxhall Field. I think this would be a tremendous honor for his family and the City of Cincinnati. I will definately keep my fingers crossed.

Went to the layout tonight. There was an estimated 20,000 people who entered the doors. It was an awesome celebration on the life of a legend who will greatly be missed. There was a constant 3 and 1/2 hour wait to enter the doors of the Fairfield HS gym. Once inside, the casket was located in the middle and once the casket was passed you went in a semi-circle to see all of the memorabilia and accomplishments of Joe career. Donzetta, wife of Joe, handled the occasion as Joe would. Very positive and happy to greet you. God bless her and the family of Joe Nuxhall. A private funeral is set for tomorrow and burial to follow.

It was a great night for all the fans and well wishers of Joe Nuxhall. I think alot of people were able to obtain closure seeing him one last time.

RIP Joe Nuxhall
  • Options
    I posted an update in the message above.