Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1986 Steve Young PSA 10

Hello Does anyone have any thoughts as to what a 1986 Topps football Steve Young PSA 10 would sell for? SMR lists it at $1,800 In my opinion its by far the rarest and most valuable card in the entire set and of all the 1980's football card sets. Over 4,000 graded and only 3 PSA 10. BGS has graded over 1,000 with only 3 BGS 9.5s. I know who owns one of the 3 PSA 10s. Does anyone know who owns the other 2?It was very nice to see the SMR adjust its price on this card in PSA 9 grade. The 86 Young PSA 9 went from $170 to $350 in one month. Even that price is much lower than you can purchase a PSA 9 Young for , but at least they are attempting to get more in line with the current market price. I would love to see SMR update all of their pricing for the key PSA 10 cards of the 1986 Topps football set. Please let me know your thoughts on the value of the 86 PSA 10 Young RC.
Thanks Kevin Roberson Elitecards
Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!

Comments

• Options
    No sales for the PSA 10 and below is for the 9...

Last 5 Sales Average Price: $448.25

10/23/07 eBay $406.99
    9/19/07 eBay $465.00
    5/27/07 eBay $515.00
    3/21/07 eBay $406.00
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I had no idea PSA 9 '86 Youngs sold for that much. Seems strange to me since it's not even a rookie card.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    The Young 9 sells high because of the rarity of the card in PSA 9. It actually is considered his rookie by Beckett standards while the USFL card is the controversial XRC.

For the Young 10, I would guestimate $2,500-$3,500, but as always would depned on who's shopping. I wouldn't be shocked at the final hammer price unless it got up to the 5K range. Would also depend on eye appeal/centering, who the seller was, where it was being sold/presentation, etc.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea either!! I'll stick with my USFL RC.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    So, the Young Rookie in PSA-9 is going for well more than the Rice? That just doesn't seem right! In fact, I just looked it up and Rice's 9 average sell price is around $230... about half of Young's. Sure, Young was a great QB, but Rice is by far the best receiver to ever play the game!

OK... wait, I just saw the population reports for these 2 cards and now I know why there is such a price discrepancy.

Rice: 11,729 cards graded - 42 tens (.36%) - 550 nines (4.69%)
    Young 3,251 cards graded - 3 tens (.09%) - 46 nines (1.41%)

The question I have is why have so many fewer Youngs been graded than Rices? Is it the popularity/visibility among the collecting community, or are the Youngs generally in much lower supply in decent condition? I'm not familiar enough with football cards to know, but the latter seems unlikely in such a recent set. I mean, we all know that with sets like '72 Topps baseball for instance, the reason certain cards have such low pops is mainly because the centering was just horrible on them (due to cutting issue and where they were located on the sheets). Thus, people are just going to send in way less cuz they knoe they won't have a chance at a decent grade. However, could this also be the case with the 86 football cards? My gut tells me no, but who knows? I never ripped in 86 football, just got my 10 Rices from a kid at a show back when I was a dealer (late 80's). So, is there a centering or printing issue on the Young that doesn't exist on the Rice?

btw... at only .09% tens, that Young rookie could be among the toughest modern era cards to get a 10 in. Even the very tough '86 Topps Baseball Nolan Ryan just recently got its first 2 tens (out of 408 subs = .49%). Man... think of it... only 1 out of nearly 1,100 Young cards submitted gets a 10... that is truly rare! Makes me want to go out and waste some money trying to rip one, lol!
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Almost forgot to give my estimate on what a Young 10 would go for...

Points to consider (only talking PSA data here):

1- Young PSA-9's go for roughly twice PSA-9 Rices go for
    - There are 10x more Rice's out there than Youngs
    - Young 9's are 3x more rare as a % of total graded cards

2- The last 2 Rice 10's on ebay went for $2,762 & $2,469, but that was all the way back in March '07.
    - If a Rice 10 were to appear today on ebay, what would it go for? I say over $3,000 easy!

3- The popularity issue. I think Rice has the edge here, especially after his jaunt on Dancing with the Stars.
    - Not sure how much this would influence an issue like we have here, but I would say all other things being equal, Rices cards would go a bit more than Youngs cards... maybe 20-30% more?

So, based mostly on pricing history of the 10 Rice and extreme scarcity of the 10 Young (both in real numbers and as a % of overall graded), I would guess a PSA-10 Young would go for some where between $5,000 - $6,000. Think that's high? Well, if you accept that a Rice 10 would go for around $3k, how can you argue that a card that's 14X more scarce than the Rice would go for a measly 2X the Rice 10 price? In fact, I'd say it would go even higher, except that I think that there's probably a soft cap somewhere below $10,000 that people will be willing to pay for a modern card. Take the '72 Topps Nolan Ryan for example. The 2 PSA 10's that have shown up on ebay during the last year went for $9,355 & $10,100. While there are 6 tens out there for this card, it's highly unlikely that that number will ever go up, and there were a ton less more of those cards produced than the 86 Topps football. With the Young, there's only 3 now, but history tells us that that number will increase over time, given the mass numbers of raw, yet-to-be graded cards & unopened material. So, I would submit that it's doubtful someone would pay in the same ballpark as the Ryan for the Young. Sure, all it takes are 2 determined and well funded bidders, but I don't think there are that many people out there with that kind of bankroll for a non-vintage card.

So yeah... my estimate would be probably around the $5,500 mark.
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Hello Jim and Everyone else
    Thanks for all the input. A special thanks to Jim G (Ichior51fan) Jim you stated some very interested stats that are all very accurate. I can answer your question in regards to why there are far fewer Steve Young cards graded than Jerry Rice cards. The answer is simple and anyone who has every opened 86 wax,cello,s or racks will agree.... The Young card a much more difficult to pull in high grade condition. I have open about 4 rack cases, 2 cello boxes and over 20 wax boxes over the years. Out of all of those I have opened I have found approximately the same amount of Rices as Young's, about 50-60 each. I have submitted to PSA 20 of the nice Rice cards out of the 60 and have received 6 PSA 9s and 14 PSA 8s. The Young card is a different store. Of the 60 Young cards I have pulled less than 10 of them have been worth grading ( meaning PSA 8 or higher quality) I have submitted 10 Young's to PSA and have received grades of 1 PSA 7, 8 PSA 8 and 1 PSA 9. Most of the Young are so poorly centered, they are not even worth sending in to PSA. I still have 50 plus raw Steve Young cards from over the years but none of them would grad over PSA 8 and most would be below that! So in summary I believe that the 86 Steve Young card is submitted for grading far less than the Rice, due to the fact that most 86 Young's are not of grading quality due to the poor centering and print spots. I agree with you on your estimated price of $5,500 and I would not be a bit surprised if one would fetch between $6,500-$7,500. Unfortunately I made the mistake of selling one of the 3 about 5 years ago to MOSH. I have been looking to replace it for over 4 years now and one has never come up for sale. The last Steve Young 1986 Topps PSA 10 was graded in 2002. By the way Beckett is just as tough on this card, Over 1,100 have been submitted to Beckett and only 3 have received the BGS 9.5 grade. The subs on all 3 of the 1986 Topps Steve Young 9.5 cards were 9.5 10 9.5 9.5... 10 9.5 9.5 9, and 9.5 9.5 9 9.5. I have always said the 1986 Topps football set is the best set of the 70's and 80's in my opion to collect. Its loaded with super Rookie cards of Rice, Young, Smith, White, & Reed to name a few. The entire 1986 set is the toughest set to get PSA 10's with the lowest % of PSA 10s vs. cards submitted from all of the sets 1973-1989. Over 28,000 1986 Topps football cards submitted to PSA with only 724 PSA 10s. 2.5% Now thats a RARE set!!!
    Thanks again to everyone for their input. More input on this subject would be truly appriciated.
    Kevin Roberson

Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!
  • Options
    Kevin,

I'll take the credit for the Young price increase in SMR. I spoke with Joe Orlando and mentioned the "real" prices as found on Bobby's VCP site vs. the SMR price. I also mentioned the Willam Perry PSA 9 selling for nearly $100 (Dorsett too). The Perry card in my option is one of the top 5 cards in the set and not even mentioned in SMR.

This set is not about the stars, it's all about supply demand. It's very tough to grade in 9s and higher.

Happy collecting,
    Bill
    WJF

Buying Mike Schmidt basic PSA 10's, rookie QBs
  • Options
    More good points to be sure! One thing I've learned about the SMR values is that they are pretty much a joke. My selling experience has been that most graded cards in the 8 and down range go for anywhere between 25-75% of SMR. 9's can be close depending on the issue, and 10's are hit and miss. On the flip side, I've had low pop cards from 7's to 10's go anywhere from SMR up to 10X SMR. The real issue here is that PSA doesn't want to invest the time to make their SMR more reliable. Fact is, they have most of the data they already need between the SMR & Pop Reports, and could probably even leverage the Registry set data to help out a bit. Ulitmately, yes... they need to factor in actual selling prices and they are simply not doing that right now. However, I would think that they could come up with an algorythym that uses SMR values in conjunction with pop reports to at least get a lot closer than the current SMR's are. Granted, there would be flaws in that as well, but at least it would be a decent alternative to what they have now without incorporatiing any outside sources of data, which could be to costly for them to be willing to absorb.

As for me, I rarely even look at SMR any more... it's all about the pop reports used in conjunction with VCP.com. Hard to go wrong with actuals... both sales and pops!
    Jim G
  • Options
    www.vintagecardprices.com absolutely the way to go! SMR should consider the same real time actual tracking of cards. Would be nice to see a stock market like portfolio with graphs to make things more visual but the concept is really cool. I've met with Bobby at VCP, great guy and looking to take his business to the next level.
    WJF

Buying Mike Schmidt basic PSA 10's, rookie QBs
  • Options
    Hi Bill

Its great to hear from you. I know you purchase 1986 PSA 9s , but I did want to let you know I will be selling most of my 1986 Topps football 2nd set on the Registry . I think it is currently ranked #5 and it is titled Elitecards #2. Give me a call if you or anyone else is interested in this set. I also have a PSA 9 Steve Young and William Perry for sale.
    Thanks Kevin 1-916-419-0179

• Options
    Hi Envoy98
    I never received you PM
    Please Email me directly at Elitecards@hotmail.com or you can give me a call at 1-916-419-0179
    Thanks Kevin
  • Options
    I'd say $4,500.00 minimun