Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Chinese Dollar Coins in the 1900's

Good investment ?

Comments

• The last few years have seen a significant interest in Chinese coins from people living in China. As a result the coins have soared in value especially those issued before 1946. Five years ago it was possible to assemble excellent collections from dealers in the USA. This is no longer the case. The majority have found their way back to China. China dollar coins are in high demand and most being sold are being sold in major auctions overseas.

Many Chinese collectors are not overly concerned that a coin has been lighly cleaned and many new collectors have cleaned/are cleaning their new purchases. This can pose a problem for a person bidding in an overseas auction as very few Chinese coins have been certified and auction houses typically do not mention if a coin has been cleaned or not. Almost all raw eBay coins have been cleaned - very very few are not.

China dollar coins are the most popular and likely have been saved more so than the minors. Competition is very strong for dollar issues and prices continue to rise in lock step with the China stock exchange averages.

"Original" copper and brass coins are not particularly sought after compared to silver coins at present. However, acquiring an early full-red original copper coin of any type from the early 1900s and earlier, is impossible or near impossible. Red brown copper coins can be found with effort. They are inexpensive given their scarcity and in my opinion offer an excellent chance of significant appreciation when and if Chinese collectors expand their collecting interests. Fake copper coins are not a major issue so far.

Many early 20th century coins of China may no longer exist in uncirculated condition including some issued during World War 2. For example, I have never seen a decent condition 1945 fiber coin of China Manchoukuo despite many years of searching for one.

As more people of China acquire wealth and as the USA dollar continues to fall, the value of most pre-!946s coins will rise in my opinion and the China dollar will likely lead the way.

The above comments do not apply to gold coins as I have close to no knowledge about them.
  • Just be aware that the Chinese copy their own coins as much or more than they copy those of other countries.
    Roy

• MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    You won't believe how many fakes are out there.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say they've got upside potential due to the emerging Chinese market, but the enormous preponderance of counterfeits would make them anathema to me. They'd be too frustrating.

BUT, if one knew them inside and out, and was certain in his skills of detecting counterfeits (which I am not, with these, by a longshot), then... who knows?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have seen so many Chinese silver dollars but I don't think a single one of them has been real. There is an enormous amount of counterfeit silver Japanese and Korean coinage as well. It can really be discouraging.

Edited: I mean the ones that I have seen in-person.
  • Heritage's early January 2008 NY Signature World Coin Auction #458 includes a number of China dollar coins. Unlikely that any of these are counterfeit.

The honest dealers in China are increasingly certifying their better offerings with PCGS and NGC to improve their sales/profits. There are now frequent offerings of PCGS China dollars on eBay. Bidding has become quite competitive lately and sniping is rampant. Be sure to check the sellers feedback and avoid dealers who keep their feedback private. Be prepared for disappointment if due diligence is not taken.