Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 PSA Set Registry - Chicago "Green" Variations

Guys,

Don't know if anyone else has noticed it. But, it looks like the only "green" variation thats listed on the set registry is the Bill Bonham #29. I don't see the Pizarro, James or Beckert up there.

Also, have any of you had problems when you send these cards into PSA (either the Yellow or Green version)? It seems like the Bonham always comes back marked as "green" even if its the yellow version and the other three have no mention of varitaion whatsoever. Have any of you had similar experience?image
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    I just received a Bonham Green Variation back, but it was the Yellow. I thought is was quite strange.

Also I was going to e-mail PSA about listing all variations in the set registry, currently if you add one variation, the other isn't postable.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the other variations graded at this time.

ej
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Erik,

Some sets have numerous variation. Therefore, to complete a set, you would need (in some cases) over 1000 cards graded. However, the 1972 Topps Baseball set only has about 10 variations. But if you list one variation you can NOT list the other. Unlike the 1974 Topps Baseball set, where in order to have 100% completion you MUST have both WASHINGTON and SD PADRES card variations to finish the set. Expect for ROOKIE P's card #599 only one of the 3 variations is required (Still haven't figured that one out). 1974 Topps ERROR cards only must have one of the cards graded for set completion. However, the grade weights are different. Only one version of the Jesus Alou (No Position) & Bob Apadaca (o) cards are required.

In an eariler thread I suggested that the Registry list ALL the availible cards or just the base set.

What are your thoughts.

Carlos
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Erik (welcome by the way), Carlos,

I think I like the way that the 69 set has its variations set up. There are 25 - 30 cards in the set that can have either Yellow Lettering (common) or White Lettering (Rare). Both variations for these cards are listed, but the White Letter variations are not required in order to reach 100% completion (if I'm misstating this and a 69 expert (Bob?, Ray?)know different - please jump in).

Erik, I had the same problem with the Bonham. I have a Yellow that is marked as a Green. If you look in the Pop Report, you'll see that PSA doesn't even recognize the other ones (Beckert, James, Pizarro) as having a variation. I recently sent in a Beckert and marked it as Yellow Letters and it came back with no mention of the variation whatsoever.

I've asked Neil Downey if he could take photos or scans of both cards side by side (Yellow/Green)of all 4 cards. What I'm going to do is to write Joe Orlando at PSA to see if we can get consistency for these cards in the Pop Report. I don't believe that anything can be fixed in the Set Registry until PSA's grading service recognizes the difference. Once the grading service is on board, then I'll talk to BJ.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Frank> Make sure you mention that PSA should be willing to reholder them with the correct description for the standards $5 reholder fee. HOWEVER, keep in mind that it would be nearly impossible make sure all of the already-graded examples are reholdered properly - thus meaning the pop for these cards is going to be off even in the best case. I'm guessing we know most of the people holding these cards, but not all of them.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Mike,

My guess - is that for the 3 cards where variations aren't currently recognized, PSA would simply keep 3 categories (Yellow, Green, no distinction) and simply make sure that all future cards are posted to the Yellow or Green categories. As cards were reholdered, the "no distinction" category would become less and fade away. OR, they could lump the cards without distinction in the yellow category (assuming they're the more common version. But, that will be up to PSA.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    PSA shouldn't charge a fee to reholder a Yellow Bonham mismarked as a Green. That's an error on their part just as much as if they had listed it as a '71 or misspelled Bonham.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.