Options

Interesting post on GAI

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Did this need another thread?
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    This is because some people don't know how to click from the community board to the registry board. Life can be tough sometimes.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Another wise poster from the image community.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    If true, their story is the poster child for how not to run a business, especially one attempting to be a credible alternative to the 500 pound gorilla in the market. Take a couple of guys with experience and a solid reputation, mix it in with empty promises, inconsistent grading, horrible customer service, and slick salespeople, and that equals a recipe for disaster. They could only ride Mike Baker's reputation for so long before the rest of that stuff caught up with them.

On the other hand, SGC's story appears to be the opposite. Carve out a market niche, run your company prudently, and you can survive. They don't know how to grade anything accurately beyond 1945, but lots of people respect them for their pre-war business.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Ron, I for one am quite pleased you finally came to your senses! image

for the record, PRO may actually be better than GAI ever was image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I don't know that I "came to my senses". There are serious issues with all of the grading companies and it was obvious to everyone what GAI's issues are/were.

GAI had a good opportunity and appears to have blown it. They should've merged with SGC a few years ago when they had the chance.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They don't know how to grade anything accurately beyond 1945, but lots of people respect them for their pre-war business. >>

Unfortunately, I don't share this opinion. I'm a 50's guy and 90% of my graded collection is accurately graded by SGC. In fact I must
    add my personal experience has been one of a quality and consistent product is the case when I acquire SGC graded cards from
    that era.

aconte
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I agree with aconte - I own several SGC slabs from 1954 up, and they are fine.

Ron, I agree that all grading companies have issues. GAI has a ton of them. Now it seems the latest one involves customers having to defend them publicly for weeks w/o a peep from the co's key personnel. That is not only absolutely unacceptable, it is mind baffling.

I have a feeling that there is alot more to this than what is being said here, on Net54, and on Beckett from what I understand.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another wise poster from the image community. >>

Maybe, you could find your own info to share, instead of regurgitating everyone else's posts???

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    PSA is the only way to go. Why take the chance with any other smaller mom and pop grading company? This was bound to happen.