Home U.S. Coin Forum

With the bullion market soaring, what is the current pricing for slabbed common Saints graded MS 63,

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the price of these coins going up based upon the increase in spot gold prices?

Comments

• homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Prices have been edging higher nearly every day.

hrh

• One thing you will notice is that as the price of gold rises, the spread between melt value and the market prices for Libs and Saints shrink.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an interesting point and exactly why I refused to sell my slabbed Saints the last time gold got close to its present level. It seems criminal to be selling slabbed better date Saints for next to bullion prices. Logic suggests to me that if the price of gold can hold then time will take care of readjusting the percentage differentials. Would welcome anyone's insight or experiences in this regard. Specifically elaboration from Homerunhall as to his above post implying increases for slabbed graded Saints are going up more than just the increments related to their bullion value.

• APMEX always seems to have great prices on these. (I like their PCGS and NGC offereings and avoid their raw coins like the plague.)
    //ab

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trend I am seeing locally is every one abandoning collector coins and chasing gold, whether it be bullion, generics what have yea!!!!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it helps any the price of MS65 saints has gone up slower than the price of bullion! (17% for 65 Saints vs 27% for bullion since the August lows). The 64's have barely outpaced bullion at 29% since the last August low around $655. That should answer your question. Lots of premium gold and silver will be swallowed up to common with this current move. 62's kept pace with bullion and 63's fell a bit behind at 22%.

current buy prices for saints in round numbers. Figure another 4-5% for sells.

63-$960.......64:$1100.........65: $1400.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks that is most informative.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $960 Buy price for common MS63 Saints?!

Ohmygosh! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Sometime back I traded all my slabbed common date Libs and Saints, various grades, several 65s as well for modern bullion GAEs. I ended up with about 50% more gold by weight. At this point I'm well ahead of the game.

As the bullion price rises, it generally outperforms the numismatic value.

Soon I will be clearing out slabbed Morgans for the same reasons that I've had in my collection for years.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the bullion price rises, it generally outperforms the numismatic value.

This statement has really only been true imo since May 2006.
    Prior to that I'd say it was typically false across the board. If you got a $10 rise in gold, your MS64 saint went up $20 and your MS65 went up $25 for example. They nearly always went up more than bullion. But times can change.......

Since May 2006 I'd say Deadhorse's statement is mostly true but it's not a universal by any means. Different areas of the gold coin market have their runs. And it doesn't mean that premiums for higher grade saints cannot come back either. A common date MS64 $2-1/2 Lib could go up 50% while gold goes up 30%.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the price of these coins going up based upon the increase in spot gold prices? >>

Send me a PM request and I'll quote you the most current prices from CCE and published buy prices from several of the wholesalers.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • $960 for MS63 Saint Gaudens seems like a lot of money but then they don't seem too high when you consider gold is at $835 or so. I guess I can say that I'm getting old since I remember the days that those same coins were costing me around $350.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    APMEX wants $871.50 plus shipping for a BU, ungraded gold buffalo. My guess is you'd pay $900 in a lot of BandMs. That puts $930 for a 63 saint in perspective. --Jerry
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As the bullion price rises, it generally outperforms the numismatic value.

This statement has really only been true imo since May 2006.
    Prior to that I'd say it was typically false across the board. If you got a $10 rise in gold, your MS64 saint went up $20 and your MS65 went up $25 for example. They nearly always went up more than bullion. But times can change.......

Since May 2006 I'd say Deadhorse's statement is mostly true but it's not a universal by any means. Different areas of the gold coin market have their runs. And it doesn't mean that premiums for higher grade saints cannot come back either. A common date MS64 $2-1/2 Lib could go up 50% while gold goes up 30%.

roadrunner >>

I agree with your assessment inferred in this post and in previous posts regarding ms-64 Lib's, especially pre-1900 dates. There are so many dates in this series in the 90's and 80's that have traded at only a slight premium to the more common post-1900 dates, but are far rarer numismatically. Maybe the renewed interest in gold will help to increase awareness in this series, I'm sure you are finding it tougher to obtain nice 64's of late as well... interestingly, dates like the 1891 in 64 have not yet enjoyed the rise that the common dates have experienced, but hopefully soon that will change...

John
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX wants $871.50 plus shipping for a BU, ungraded gold buffalo. My guess is you'd pay $900 in a lot of BandMs. That puts $930 for a 63 saint in perspective. --Jerry >>

With such a small difference, Saints look like a really good value. If history repeats itself, the Saints, being real collector coins rather than bullion, will be exempt from confiscation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The price compression theory seems to be validated by the suggested price of $1400 for an MS65 Saint. I am using the figures from an earlier post for that price. Saints and Morgans were the original bullion coins. To an extent they still are bullion coins, check the population reports for thema and you will see very large numbers of Saints.

Dont get me wrong, I believe Saints to be our most beauitiful coin and if I could only own one coin, it would be the Ultra High Relief Saint in 69, wow what a stunner.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file