Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British Honduras reeded edge?

I have a 1961 10 cent piece in BU from British Honduras that has a reeded edge. According to Krause they only list a plain edge. This a new find or what?
Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Comments

• Krause is in error. The 1961 type 10c coins have a reeded edge.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Thanks for the info-How did you come by this information?
  • Silver coins usually had reeded edges to foil any shaving of the metal from the edges. When copper-nickel replaced silver the tradition followed.
    I checked my 1942, 1944, 1956, 1959, 1961 and 1963 10c and all are reeded.
    The Standard Catalog of World Coins is compiled by amateurs on a small budget and the info has often been jumbled, since the 2003 edition especially, while being put in print by workers who have no knowlege of coins.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

• << <i>The Standard Catalog of World Coins is compiled by amateurs on a small budget and the info has often been jumbled, since the 2003 edition especially, while being put in print by workers who have no knowlege of coins. >>

That's a sad fate for what was once a useful resource, one that opened up world coins as an option for the average collector who was looking for something other than the usual domestic coinage to pursue.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I would take exception to that and think it quite good in many areas. No doubt they will correct this small error if it is brought to their attention. Always easy to criticize, harder to construct. I have thought about redoing and improving (but not perfecting) the BH section. No doubt I would be taken to task for trying to help.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

• << <i>Always easy to criticize, harder to construct. >>

Lots of constructive advice here: Krause Errata List

I don't know about the comments made by others in that thread, but the error I posted about from the 2005 SCWC is still showing up in the 2008 issue.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. PH: I would submit them directly to Krause rather than post them here as I do not know if they are read here. I have not yet tried that Numismaster site which may be another possiblility.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • I guess with all of the thousands of coins and varieties that there are out there that it only stands to reason that there will be mistakes. If only the heart did not beat faster when one thinks that he has found something never found before.

• << <i>Krause is in error. The 1961 type 10c coins have a reeded edge. >>

Brad,
    All the 10c.,25c.,& 50c. coins from British Honduras have milled edges.I have got the British Honduran 25c. & 50c. coins represented in my collection,but not the 10c. coins though.

Aidan.
  • Hello,

I did post couple of recommendation in numismaster.com and they did make the correction.