Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 OPC Baseball is super tough

I am cracking 20 boxes of 86 OPC.....cant believe how tough it is to get a decent cut card. Many rough edges and dings, and edge chipping. Although Centering is not to bad. Plus all of my Nolan ryan's so far have paper loss on the back in the same place where it looks like a machine caught them or something. I have so far cracked 4 boxes and have maybe 8 to 10 cards that maybe could be 10's. I will try to post some scans if anyone is interested......let me know. Also the paper stock used on these was horrible....combined with the rough cut edges and black top border.....this is a super tough set.

Anyone else have experience with opening alot of this set....

The 1986 topps i am cracking (8 boxes) are much easier to find 10 worthy cards ( the ryans are all off center though) .....so i think the true rarity in 10 potential population seems to be the OPC.

Also these are 8 card packs....you lose 1 card to wax and one card is completely ruined with gum stuck so bad you crease the card every time trying to get it off.

I think a 86 OPC Ryan in PSA 10 should sell for more than the Topps variety if one can be found.....anyone agree or disagree?
Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in a nice #149 Brett Butler if you pull one. LMK

Geordie
  • Options
    Tough to say if would substantially beat the Topps price. Obviously it should because of how much tougher OPC's are, but its hard to tell with those Ryan collectors. A pop 1 is like feeding sharks. If the OPC is in the Basic set, hands down it slaughters the Topps. It still would bring some serious coin.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    8-10 potential 10's out of four boxes is great, to be honest with you. You'll average about 1-3 PSA 10's per box in anything OPC from 1985-1989.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Listen to NUTS,

He knows his OPC.

IMO you might crack 2-3 boxes of 86 and get one or two 10 worthy cards. Super super tough. The edges aren't just rough, in 86, they're mangled.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    if any of the 86 opc ozzie's look 9 or better i'd be interested in getting them from you. mine got a 9 and i'd like another shot at a 10.

thanks! pm me.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i agree with CDS as well. i've only busted 2 wax boxes and have a handfull of 8, 9 and 10 candidates. i received a 9 on the clemens and an 8 on the ryan. those were the only 2 i submitted as i was trying to get a feel for how they would grade....looks like they handle them like any other 86, which they should.

good luck on your subs.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06