Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NewP: I finally bought the Holy Grail for my Collection!

Ancient Italy. Chalice of gilt silver and precious stones.

The style and jewels look like Roman gold rings I have seen...This could be 500 years old..or Two Thousand.

Sorry for the OT. Any more info would be extremely appreciated....Enjoy.

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool chalice, JZ.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I would estimate PCGS MS-62 at least.........

Seriously, that is an awesome chalice. Wow.
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Have you drank from it yet? Come on, you've got to at least have one drink from it!

<< <i>Have you drank from it yet? Come on, you've got to at least have one drink from it! >>

I might be a little freaked-out if the water turned into wine in it, though image
    That's not the cup of a carpenter!
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    AWESOME!!!!!!! very image
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Not terribly OT either.... precious metals, jewels, engraving, seems to fit.

Now, that chalice is sublime, the images have me watering profusely. Where did you ever find it? How heavy is it? Dimensions man, I need dimensions!imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, that chalice is sublime, the images have me watering profusely. Where did you ever find it? How heavy is it? Dimensions man, I need dimensions! >>

It's only about 6-7" tall...fairly small, but it has that totally original "Look" to it. (you guys know what I mean)

I haven't taken a drink from it yet...someday. Right now, it stays wrapped in velvet since I'm so afraid of messing it up.

It might not be the glass of a carpenter, but then again, there was someone at the supper who liked silver (30 pieces for sure) and he may have brought it from his trip to Rome...take a look (google) at the pictures of the other (4) Holy Chalices....hmmm....it's not gold.
  • Don't think its Ancient, decorations and style suggest Middle Ages, probably a religious "relic" that was such big business at the time.

Very, very cool looking.
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's one of the coolest things posted here.image
  • MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Take it to the Antique Road Show.. WOOOOH image
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome image If I were you I would definitely be interested in finding out more about it. Including its date and possible place of production.
    Keep us posted.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, man, that is so incredible on so many different fronts. I sure wish I could examine it in person.

I can see why it's hard to pin down whether it's ancient or medieval- I tend toward the latter. Where'd you get it from?

I shudder to think of how much it cost.

I see what looks like turquoise- what other kinds of stones are there? The purple ones (amethysts?) around the base are lovely.

Surely it was ecclesiastical in nature? I can see that on the altar of a cathedral.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this does not compete with the 2L Reinhold Hanke stein that I got today...

very nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really awesome.
    Congratsimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Amazing find, Congradulationsimage
    Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage

You have chosen wisely.

<< <i>That's not the cup of a carpenter! >>

Depends on how good the carpenter is, I would say image
  • Now thats a pimp cup.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now thats a pimp cup. >>

More likely an abbot cup. image

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    My guess: 1600s
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very cool

are those pearls in it?
    Pimp Cup...THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

Although they look like Pearls, they are actually the silver filigree 'Nubs' that have a white look from the flash.

So far, my research has it placed around the 1600's in Venice... Some of the later Medieval pieces pictured in the 'Art of the Bronze Age' book look strikingly similar in design.
    What are the dimensions of the cup?
    It's only about 6" tall.