Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this auction seem eerily familiar to you guys?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
1961, Franklin Half Dollar, FDC PROOF, Liquid Mirrors

The only thing that's missing is the "inherited grandpa's collection" part.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    yes it does remind me of a different auction that a forum member
    shared with us here on the forums.

do i even remember the little envelopes or am i mistaken?

seems it was a month or two ago. maybe i can dig up the thread.

here it is:http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=613808&STARTPAGE=1
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A l'origine, était qualifié de fleur de coin, un coin (et non une monnaie) absolument neuf.

Depuis 1690, selon le dictionnaire de Furetière, une monnaie est dite frappée en fleur de coin lorsqu'elle fait partie des toutes premières pièces frappées avec un coin neuf, et sur des flans préselectionnés ou usinés spécialement et préservés de toute circulation. Ces monnaies sont généralement destinées aux collectionneurs et sont très recherchées. Elles sont vendues en coffret à une valeur généralement plus élevée que la valeur faciale.

En numismatique, ce terme est remplacé de nos jours par celui de belle épreuve, ou BE, la qualité intermédiaire avec la monnaie courante se nomme brillant universel ou BU.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A l'origine, était qualifié de fleur de coin, un coin (et non une monnaie) absolument neuf.

Depuis 1690, selon le dictionnaire de Furetière, une monnaie est dite frappée en fleur de coin lorsqu'elle fait partie des toutes premières pièces frappées avec un coin neuf, et sur des flans préselectionnés ou usinés spécialement et préservés de toute circulation. Ces monnaies sont généralement destinées aux collectionneurs et sont très recherchées. Elles sont vendues en coffret à une valeur généralement plus élevée que la valeur faciale.

En numismatique, ce terme est remplacé de nos jours par celui de belle épreuve, ou BE, la qualité intermédiaire avec la monnaie courante se nomme brillant universel ou BU. >>

Wee Wee
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    babelfish says the above post is:

With the origin, was described as flower of corner, a corner (and not a currency) absolutely nine. Since 1690, according to the dictionary of Furetière, a currency known as is struck in flower of corner when it forms part of the very first parts struck with a new corner, and on blanks préselectionnés or machined especially and preserved of any circulation. These currencies are generally intended for the collectors and are very required. They are sold out of box with a value generally higher than the facial value. In numismatics, this term is replaced nowadays by that of beautiful test, or BE, intermediate quality with the current currency names brilliant uncirculated or DRUNK.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandfather gave me this- it's more valuable to me than any other coin I own (but I'm still jealous of that guy on eBay) image:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Since I can't speak (or read) french, I used an online translator and according to this site, here's the translation to the above post. image

"In origin, was qualified as flower of corner, a corner (and not a currency) absolutely new.

Since 1690, according to the dictionary of Furetière, a currency is said hit in flower of corner when it is part of the very first rooms hit with a new corner, and on custards préselectionnés or manufactured especially and preserved from any circulation. These currencies are in general intended for the collectors and are very sought-after. They are sold in casket in a in general more well brought up value than the facial value.

In numismatology, this term is replaced with that of nice test, or BE at present, the intermediate quality with the commonplace is called shining universal or DRUNK."

aka Dan
  • Options
    either it is shiny or DRUNK. lol. i think BU means something
    else en francias!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since I can't speak (or read) french, I used an online translator and according to this site, here's the translation to the above post. image

"In origin, was qualified as flower of corner, a corner (and not a currency) absolutely new.

Since 1690, according to the dictionary of Furetière, a currency is said hit in flower of corner when it is part of the very first rooms hit with a new corner, and on custards préselectionnés or manufactured especially and preserved from any circulation. These currencies are in general intended for the collectors and are very sought-after. They are sold in casket in a in general more well brought up value than the facial value.

In numismatology, this term is replaced with that of nice test, or BE at present, the intermediate quality with the commonplace is called shining universal or DRUNK."

image >>

Wee Wee

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    At least that other old time collection looked like it was old. These envelopes are crisp and new with recent typing on them.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Reminds me, I have a stack of old Kraft envelopes sitting somewhere around here, anyone want to overpay for my oldtime collection, I promise I will put them in envelopes for ya.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At least that other old time collection looked like it was old. These envelopes are crisp and new with recent typing on them. >>

But, if the envelopes are TYPED, they must be old!!!!! Typewriters went extinct in 1979, I think........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Looks like its his AT'd outlet
  • Options
    THat guy get's stupid money for his coins--I gotta learn to do it like him image!
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Looks like its his AT'd outlet

Looks a lot like a PCGS PR65 I sold recently. PCGS, and I for that matter, think its NT.

As for the seller. I have seen his coins sell on ebay and they all do very well. Whats the trick? Are they GEMS or not?
  • Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Looks a lot like a PCGS PR65 I sold recently. PCGS, and I for that matter, think its NT.

I don't disagree w/you, was speaking more of his other listed items
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FDC is used frequently in the UK and the rest of Europe

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    franklin halves do not tone like that in kraft envelopes

K S
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might question his Roosevelt Dime, but the Seated Quarter and the Liberty Standing Quarter look typical of old coins that were cleaned and then put away. The rest of the coins look pretty good to me, especially the 1900 Barber Dime that he sold recently and is shown in his feedback.

I think that this guy is legit. Call me naive, I guess.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>franklin halves do not tone like that in kraft envelopes >>

They do tone like that in albums, though. Particularly proofs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>franklin halves do not tone like that in kraft envelopes >>

They do tone like that in albums, though. Particularly proofs.

Russ, NCNE >>

yep.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file