Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great brittan penny

Can some one tell me what happened to my penny? Can you scratch bronze so much it turns silver?image

I have so much to learn!

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it was heated and lead or solder applied to the surface.image
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    To me it looks like solder on the coin... Here is a picture of a 20 pfennig before I tried to remove the solder, after I heated the solder it flowed all over the coin giving it a silver plated appearance. Unfortunately I don't have an after photo of it, I think I got disgusted and tossed it out in the yard to find with a metal detector someday...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    That's awesome
    I have so much to learn!
  • Options
    I have two 1896 five centavos and one 1896 ten centavo with solderered parts of ear rings on the back. Any way to get this off without ruining the coin? These coins book at 35-40 each.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I'd leave 'em as-is. Once they've been made into jewelry and their numismatic value has been compromised, they're usually better off remaining jewelry, and hopefully retaining some value as jewelry. If you try to "fix" them, you'll just have substandard coins. I would rather have an interesting piece of old coin jewelry than a substandard coin that's been semi-repaired.

Of course, if the jewelry mounts are gone, and you just have soldered spots, then you're in that unpleasant middle ground. You could either try removing the solder, which is bound to be tricky and not completely successful, or you could refurbish them as new jewelry by adding new mounts or whatever.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Ummmmm...................
    You need to go to the hardware store and buy a solder sucker and a wick, rickc300.
    Use the solder sucker first to get off what you can, then wick off the rest.
    The guys at the hardware store can tell you how to desolder.
    Or, go on the internet for instructions.

Ray
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that would be more on the order of a high school experiment as the particular coin itself would not exactly be worth the time and effort.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, this would be a high school type of experiment but the coin itself not necessarily worth all of that effort. Always fun to play though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the info. As they are they are in a junk box with no value at all. only the solder spots are on two and clips are on two. If nothing else they will fill a hole(no pun intended) until I can get the real mccoy in better condition.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py