Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone hear about 1.5 tons of coins found buried in China?

The story in English ( on a site in China)

A cellar containing 1.5 tons of ancient coins, including some 2,000-year-old ones, have been discovered by a villager in Changzi County, north China's Shanxi Province.

The man in Qianwanhu village discovered the cellar with some 10,000 coins, ranging from 3 cm to 1 cm in diameter, on Aug. 23 when he was digging a channel to place pipes for tap water, said Li Lin, an official of the Changzi Center of Cultural Heritage and Tourism.

The "money cellar" was 1.5 meters under the earth, with coins being piled orderly into a cuboid of 1.3 meters long, 0.65 meter wide and one meter high, Li said.

Most of the coins were made during the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) with the remainders made during Han Dynasty (206 BC-220 AD) and Tang Dynasty (618-907), Li said.

Many coins were in good condition, and characters on the surface were still legible, while some others were rusty. The largest coin is 3 cm in diameter and the smallest is one cm, Li said.

Archaeologists said the coins were there for three reasons: the coins were liege lords' private wealth; or they were buried by ancient Chinese private banks during war; or they belonged to rich people who buried them during war but had forgotten.

The coins have been sent to local cultural relics authorities.

Source: Xinhua
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    I am sure there are many other things buried in the ground when a society is thousands of years old.

I am more impress with those mummies that are still flexible after being buried for thousands of years.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Wonder if any of them are trade dollars?
  • Options
    I can foresee headlines several centuries from now about huge numbers of gold colored coins discovered in ancient vaults in Kentucky.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder what metal they where?

That would be alot if gold, quit a bit if silver, and interesting if copper.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>I am sure there are many other things buried in the ground when a society is thousands of years old.

I am more impress with those mummies that are still flexible after being buried for thousands of years. >>

There is an amazing cache somewhere near Bodie from a stagecoach robbery that has never been recovered. The robbers were killed. I suspect it is buried in the grave of a child who died in town the same week. Nobody's gonna dig that up though, at least not legally.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    As long as they aren't 2006 W Unc Platinum, we are good to go!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if any of them are trade dollars? >>

imageimageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can foresee headlines several centuries from now about huge numbers of gold colored coins discovered in ancient vaults in Kentucky. >>

• Options
    I found it nteresting that the discoverer turned them in, instead of keeping them for himself.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Did they counterfeit them back then too?? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimageimageimage >>

Gotta be kidding ,,,, right?
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options

<< <i>Wonder what metal they where? That would be alot if gold, quit a bit if silver, and interesting if copper. >>

...Probably lead.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    <<Wonder if any of them are trade dollars?>> image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the facility was a Trade Dollar factory at one time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlesss they are U.S. coins I would have NO interest from a collecting standpoint.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can foresee headlines several centuries from now about huge numbers of gold colored coins discovered in ancient vaults in Kentucky. >>

image >>

image....You mean they been burying all them Sackies and Pres Dollars they been minting....!!!!????
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    any bets on how long before they hit ebay?

K S
  • Options
    If they were made out of lead the Chinese Govt. will probably have them melted down and turned into paint for children's toys bound for the U.S.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file