Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Spam email received from a dealer re: eBay's listing policies

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just now. The dealer is one that has been the topic of several threads, and is also a member of the forums.

In the email, they Plead with "their customers" to join the list of people they will then forward to their eBay account representative complaining about eBay's new policy requiring a certification number and photograph of the actual coin.

In the email, they say "this policy in particular will put us, and other sellers, out of business..."

Really. Really? image
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is like the old saying goes---"That's the way the mop flops".
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    No, Russ, but its smoeone else you're not especially fond of (from the search I did before I posted).
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    HMM... Centsles sent one out recently. Maybe the SSSers are getting together and forming a coalition. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    "Elite Numismatics" perhaps?
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    please don't tell us who it is
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>please don't tell us who it is >>

Yes yes, we don't want to know image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    heh, my first guess was centsles. i hope ebay put a crimp
    in his money supply so he stops bidding on coins i want!

go ebay!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same thing and I will share my reply.

Hello David.
    I am one of the front line supporters of eBay's new Policy if you can not comply them find a new line of work.
    BTW you can remove me from your mailing list as I will not be doing any business with you in the futher.

• Options

<< <i>I got the same thing and I will share my reply.

Hello David.
    I am one of the front line supporters of eBay's new Policy if you can not comply them find a new line of work.
    BTW you can remove me from your mailing list as I will not be doing any business with you in the futher. >>

FWIW, the reason I didn't reply was because I didn't want him to "accidentally" include my name with the list of those who may agree with him.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Elite Numismatics" perhaps? >>

BINGO!!! We have a winner!image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<In the email, they say "this policy in particular will put us, and other sellers, out of business...">>

• Options

<< <i>

FWIW, the reason I didn't reply was because I didn't want him to "accidentally" include my name with the list of those who may agree with him. >>

I got the same e-mail and chose not to reply for the same reason. I like the part where they express concerns about being "put out of business" by this new policy. If your business was ripping off the unwise, then the sooner the better...
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Why not just comply with the policy? image
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the same letter. He must be afraid it'll put HIM out of business.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    The new policy was written for one coin auctions and sellers of modern slabs who need to put multiples in the same auction are now getting all their auctions cancelled. that includes me so I may understand what he's saying. But that will work itself out soon as ebay wants us honest sellers to come back and know they can abuse us and we will come back because there is no other venue. If this guy just wants to sell crap slabs, then he'll get no sympathy anywhere. --jerry
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand how this could possibly put them out of business! They just cannot list their slabs as "certified" thats all.

Unless, of course, they're making big bucks selling over graded over priced coins stuck in two-bit holders and calling them "certified"!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    I bet I can guess the seller.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>I bet I can guess the seller. >>

Don't tell us! We're gonna see if we can get this to, oh, 100 posts without the seller being ID'd, k?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>

Don't tell us! We're gonna see if we can get this to, oh, 100 posts without the seller being ID'd, k? >>

The seller has been identified already...
  • Options
    I can feel for the modern slab sellers. when large quanitities of the same item like pf70 silver eagles - the process of photographing each coin - both sides and the time involved make the effort on ebay is almost not worth it. I think if they start dinging those types of sellers they should do it even handedly - but something tells me the monster sellers with platinum accounts will not be invconvienced but other smaller schmucks will.

Like I said in my other posts - my new modern slab site will be live in the next week. I will not be dependent on Ebay and have already minimized my Ebay sales - currently none.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't tell us! We're gonna see if we can get this to, oh, 100 posts without the seller being ID'd, k? >>

The seller has been identified already... >>

A veiled reference is an ID? How quaint.

• Options
    I do not understand how this could possibly put them out of business! They just cannot list their slabs as "certified" thats all.
    --------
    19Lyds you hit the nail on the head. Notice none of these guys crying will adress this point.
    What they are crying about is the loss of access to the millions of uneducated buyers.
  • Options
    I got the same email and deleted it with the rest of the spam. The filter doesn't catch everything.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, Russ, but its smoeone else you're not especially fond of (from the search I did before I posted). >>

Frank? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can feel for the modern slab sellers. when large quanitities of the same item like pf70 silver eagles - the process of photographing each coin - both sides and the time involved make the effort on ebay is almost not worth it. I think if they start dinging those types of sellers they should do it even handedly - but something tells me the monster sellers with platinum accounts will not be invconvienced but other smaller schmucks will. Like I said in my other posts - my new modern slab site will be live in the next week. I will not be dependent on Ebay and have already minimized my Ebay sales - currently none. >>

The PF70 silver eagles are high profit margin compared to some coins I sell. How about the MS65 presidential dollars that I'd be glad to sell by the boxfull for $9 each. If I want to list a box of these it is 40 photos. If I want to list 10 boxes it is 400 photos in one auction--200 fronts that all look alike and 200 reverses that are all alike except for the serial number. Ebay will eventually figure out this is rediculous. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No, Russ, but its smoeone else you're not especially fond of (from the search I did before I posted). >>

Frank? image >>

I don't think it starts with an F. I bet it starts with a B.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    BUMP
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The seller has been identified already... >>

A veiled reference is an ID? How quaint. >>

Indeed...would like more concrete evidence? I received the same spam...Now that makes more than one reference!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file