Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet if I submitted a 1944 copper cent with that big scratch across the obverse that it wouldn't get slabbed...............danged hypocrites! image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    hey look! A penny with a scratch! image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    ugh, that coin makes me think of scarface.

i bid 100 billion dollars! (pinky to mouth).
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the l'il old "standard 15%" retail profit. Can't blame the owner for trying. That Coin World seller seems to have an extremely stable inventory of high priced coins.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    They were talking about this coin in another thread too. Personally that thing is so ugly that I don't care if it is rare, I wouldn't pay anything near that to own it.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - looks like a NCS grade in a PCGS holder. Is that collectable?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    does not ncs give a net grade in most cases? that slab is basically
    just saying it is legit. a pretty nice service in my mind.
  • Options
    Interesting holder.

It appears to be holdered by PCGS in a normal slab, though graded only as genuine and without any PCGS name or ID on it. Yet if you do a cert verification on the slab it shows up as a normal grade of VG10.

I could understand that it is rare and important coin and that PCGS wanted to slab it, but no so much that the PCGS logo appeared on it?

I guess.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    The description should read like an obituary.
    Or a crime scene report. It didn`t die from natural causes.
    That coin was murdered!
  • Options
    A fine example of a scratched coin in a slab...UH...I thought that doesn't happen.image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but wonder if that scratch is the testament to someone proving to someone else that the coin wasn't copper plated?

Are there any stories associated with this one?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I bet if I submitted a 1944 copper cent with that big scratch across the obverse that it wouldn't get slabbed...............danged hypocrites! image >>

Keep in mind the coin is not graded, just aythenticated. They will do that for the rare ones.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the sort of item that could sell for big bucks to a non-collector.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but wonder if that scratch is the testament to someone proving to someone else that the coin wasn't copper plated?

shoulda used a magnet

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    <<I can't help but wonder if that scratch is the testament to someone proving to someone else that the coin wasn't copper plated?

Are there any stories associated with this one? >>

This coin was sold at the Long Beach show from the Ira and Larry Goldberg Auction, Sept 25th, 2007. The auction catalog had the WHOLE story about the coin. Lot# 2462.

The coin sold for $52,500. Apparently some young boy scratched it to see if it was real. It's really scratched now!!!
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    when you search that coin in heritage it is stated as

Lincoln Cents: Virtual Bourse
    1943 LINCOLN 1C PCGS AU53 $110,000 Buy Now N/A N/A

in a post above some one said they checked the numbers on pcgs and is was VG10 how is this even allowed??? is that not false adverisiement?

this is what i got from pcgs when i looked up the cert #

Cert Verification #: 21445181
    Date, mintmark: 1943
    Denomination: 1C
    Variety: Bronze
    Pedigree:
    Grade: NG0BN

i am still new to this so maybe its me!!

-Paul
  • Options
    It has been graded a "no grade". I recently sold a 1794 dollar with issues, (The Walton Specimen) RAW through Stacks in March, Baltimore, and then it was placed into a PCGS holder after some color "work" was done to it, then resold at B & M auction. (See PCGS News about it). On the PCGS holder, my old dollar (that I loved), was stated cleaned, tooled, etc., but with "Genuine" and no grade. This is apparently new with PCGS, but I like it. Are they now doing this for problem rarities??? image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>It has been graded a "no grade".q]

so...how can it be advertised as AU53?
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>They were talking about this coin in another thread too. Personally that thing is so ugly that I don't care if it is rare, I wouldn't pay anything near that to own it. >>

aka Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file