Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851-O 3 Cent I just won on eBay

dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
I know, it has some "interesting" toning, but I like it actually. Especially on the reverse. This same coin sold on Heritage about a year ago for $100 more than I paid for it. I've always wanted an 1851-O 3 cent...not 100% sure why, I guess I just think the date is cool. This coin resides in a PCGS 63 holder. Anyway, fire away image

imageimage
Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i like it a lot. i wonder if the luster is even visible under that toning?

is it just me or is the strike a little mushy?
    could be the pics.

all in all, i would be pleased to own that coin. nice pickup!
    thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I love that look. GREAT coin - congrats!
  • Options
    Send it to PCGS for PVC removal.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I like it. A lot. I love the color on it. Double check for PVC, though.
  • Options
    No way in heck is that strike mushy, not even for a p-mint, let alone the only branch mint issue of the trimes.

Again - terrific coin!
  • Options
    Don't dare "remove" anything on it. It's not going to be "improved." Geez, I'm tired of that notion....
  • Options

<< <i>Don't dare "remove" anything on it. It's not going to be "improved." Geez, I'm tired of that notion.... >>

So the PVC shouldn't be removed before it ruins the coin?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Very nice Trime.

I love the look of it. Nice colours.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    as for the strike, looking at the reverse, the triple "III"s, at the
    bottom did not appears to be very well defined to my eyes.

but with the toning and so-so pics.. i can be very much wrong.

i still like the coin.

i wonder if the toning could be green and it is not pvc.

edited to add: the 8 in the date also looks a bit ill-defined.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    No way in heck is that strike mushy, not even for a p-mint, let alone the only branch mint issue of the trimes.
    I thought the strike was better than average too. I've seen examples where you can barely see the crescent on the reverse.
    Forgive my ignorance on PVC, I know what it is, but is that what the green on the coin is possibly?
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't dare "remove" anything on it. It's not going to be "improved." Geez, I'm tired of that notion.... >>

So the PVC shouldn't be removed before it ruins the coin? >>

If your referring to the green toning, that is not PVC--it's just toning. There is nothing wrong with the coin. It's entirely original and problem free.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forgive my ignorance on PVC, I know what it is, but is that what the green on the coin is possibly? >>

I don't think it is, but look it over carefully when you get it. The good news is that it's in a PCGS slab so you should be covered if it is...as long as it remains slabbed.

Most of it is obviously just pretty toning, but there are a couple of spots that concern me a little bit.
  • Options
    Short answer for you - PCGS wouldn't have slabbed it with any PVC present.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Short answer for you - PCGS wouldn't have slabbed it with any PVC present. >>

Then why do they have a grade guarantee?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    OK, let's try this - 'cause there isn't any PVC on the coin.

Grade guarantee - mainly because if contaminants on the coin cause it to "turn" later, such as ones (dip residue) not seen at time of slabbing - or, a certain famous gem proof indian that grew a fat fingerprint on it - that sort of thing. PVC present on a coin will generally preclude its being slabbed.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    One of my favorite issues, IF the toning is toning and not what some seem to think it may be it looks pretty swell from here.... nice pickup!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent 51-O. It's a cool issue because, this was the only year that a branch mint struck a trime.

...but I agree about the possible green, which looks like PVC. Wouldn't want it to ruin the coin, I would send it in to see what PCGS says.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I've always wanted an 1851-O 3 cent...not 100% sure why, I guess I just think the date is cool. >>

Me too. Not sure why, but something about it being the only mintmarked 2-cent or 3-cent piece, and that little "O" off to one side makes it irresistible.

I've never had one, let alone a slabbed MS example. Way to go! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file