Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Papal Medal - What's it worth?

I can't seem to attach higher quality images here. How is that done?

What do you think this medal is worth? And, how do I figure whether or not it is Silver? Thanks.

Pic1

Pic2

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be made by Pagani, perhaps from the same series as the one on eBay here?

I wasn't able to find more info image
  • You are right. I don't know who Pagani or Mistruzzi are, but both those names appear on the medal. Also, I'm not sure if this medal is Silver or not.

Here are some larger pics:

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Pagani and Mistruzzi are well known designers of Vatican and Italian coins and medals of the mid 20th Century.

This is a privately issued religious or souvenir medal basically of the same type as that illustrated by twokopeiki's ebay bin piece. These are typically silver plated, but your piece has two "800" marks in oval punches on reverse suggesting that it is 800 fine.

While I don't collect these, I do run across them from time to time and the $15- for the ebay piece seems quite high given the wear and the fact it is base medal. If your piece is indeed silver, then scrap value to $10/12 might be an ok retail range.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Amazing wealth of information on this board! Thank you, Thank you very much!