Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Best vintage rip ever

What is the best vintage rip (any sports) you have had and where did material come from? Of all the group rips, purchases from BBCE or others, Ebay purchases or boxes you had stored for years, what was the best pack/box in terms of ultimate PSA graded value? As a measuring stick, only include packs that were 1980 or prior and had been unopened for at least 10 years.

Comments

• RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    around 2001 I won 2 1971 first series baseball rack packs off ebay. Opened one of them and got 2 Pete Roses, one graded PSA 8 and the other PSA 9 OC.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• I purchased a 1954 bowman 5¢ pack for $150 many moons ago
    I found A #64, #65 & #66, NO it wasn't a Williams
    Sold the Mantle later for $1K
    Nice break
    Or a 1955 bowman Cello, found a glossy & centered mantle which I traded for a ton of Mint 50's commons
    Only time I busted a Mantle from a pack except of course when I collected as a kid in the 50's
  • zippy, how much did you pay for that 55 bowman pack?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Not too much dollar value, but a bought 3 unopened CELLO packs of exhibit cards. First pack pulled Mays, next pack pulled a MANTLE. Not worth a helluva lot, but a mantle nonetheless!
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    a few years back i opened up a 1961/62 fleer basketball wax pack and pulled a nice #47 wilt chamberlin in action card and a lenny wilkins #44 rc. that was oc but still nice pull
  • I didn't actually buy the 55 Bowman cello pack, I bought a large collection & made the seller throw the pack in or I said I wouldn't buy his collection
    He capitulated to my demands so thus I paid Zip for it.
    One of my better deals
    Unless the 54 Topps cello pack I bought for $4300 & later resold it to a Canadian collector for $25k
    Oh did I fail to mention it had a Aaaron rookie on top?