Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

19th century type display: please help me finish my set. UPDATE 8/2/08!

Since completing, my Capital Holder 20th century display (see this link),
I've slightly adjusted my collecting plans. I wanted a 19th century wall display to complement it. One of the great things about numismatics, is creating and pursuing a plan. I chose a traditional listing with the caveat of designs that started their runs in the 19th century, no gold, all denominations represented and no commemoratives. This almost looks like the Capital Holder 19th century (Capital 19th century) but with some small changes. I also wanted to make a display of pcgs slabs so that they could participate in my overall registry (Basic Design Type). Here is what I have so far:
imageimage
imageimage

should be displayed like this in total:

I am still shy 6 coins given with wishlist grade!:
capped bust half dime(XF/AU), classic head half cent(AU/MS), seated dime(AU/MS), 20-cent(XF), seated dollar(XF/AU), Barber half(XF).

the placement of the coins in the display is what I had the most fun with. They are first grouped by designer: upper left=Reich/Kneass, upper-right=Gobrecht, lower left=Longacre, lower right=Barber/Morgan. Notice as well that the first 12 coins (left to right in the upper field) have matching denominations(6) and one will be able to easily compare the classic/caps with the braided/seateds! the last 2 on the right will be the logically placed 20-cent and dollar(above and below respectively!). I wanted to keep the 2 well-matched nickels close together, hence the closer grouping of the lower groups.

Thanks to Irfanview, I was able to make composite shots of relative size, avoiding the pitfalls of a camera shot over the whole field resulting in unwanted curvature and glare. The cropping and reducing were tedious, but an overall preservation of detail results! Normally I'm a minimalist ( minimalist set ) but the opportunity to go after this display was a no-brainer!

Comments welcome, but as important, if you spot a nice PCGS slabbed coin that meets the above requirements, please let me know!

Eugene
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file