Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there any stars missing from the 1958 Topps set?

Musial was missing in 57 and Williams in 59.

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't Musial only featured on an All Star card?
  • Options
    Roy Campanella? He played in '57, so shouldn't he have a '58 card? He has a '59 tribute card.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    He was incapacitated by his horrible accident, and probably they didn't know quite what to do - being the popular player he was, he got the '59 tribute card.
  • Options

<< <i>He was incapacitated by his horrible accident, and probably they didn't know quite what to do - being the popular player he was, he got the '59 tribute card. >>

That may have had something to do with it, but on the other hand look at Ken Hubbs. Campanella's accident was in January of '58 - after the '57 season - so you would have to think they would have done a '58 card. Hubbs passed away in February of '64 and they did his tribute card that same year - I think the last series. They could have done Campanella's tribute in the last series of '58 - at least something to show that he played the '57 season. That is just my opinion.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Prolly would have to ask Sy Berger or someone else at the Topps' head office at the time. image
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killebrew makes his baseball card return in 58, after not being in 57.
  • Options
    Good call on the Campy card. Are there any others missing that should be there?
  • Options
    anyone else?
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    ed bouchee: was supposed to've been on card #145 but was such a great player that they left him out--image
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bouchee pled guilty to indecent exposure to minors in Spokane, Washington. In response, the Topps company pulled his card from their set (#145)."
  • Options
    Weird, especially for 1958. Despite pleading guilty, he was reinstated by MLB. Topps included him in subsequent sets. Pic from ebay (obviously).

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    that guy fully looks like someone on to catch a preditor..
  • Options
    no 58 clete boyer either
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

lol
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Except for a 'real' Musial card and a Bob Gibson Future Stars card, I can't think of anyone. Every other HOFer I can think of is in there, along with All-Star type players. Maybe there were some guys who were notable at the time but were pan-flashes, although at about 500 cards, that's a sizable pre-expansion set. The only other card not in there that should have been, along the lines of a Campanella card, is something about Jackie Robinson's retirement, or the Giants and Dodger's moving to California.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    That reminds me of the last time I went to an underage party and took these pictures below