Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New French Medal with Ship

Here is a new one that I just won on ebay for US$16.00 - it's coming from France and I will try to reimage when it gets here - I think it is a beauty and hope it is as nice in hand. 68mm in size.

imageimage

Shep

Comments

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful piece , and a great priceimage
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    That is nice looking and a good size too! Congrats on your addition!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a curious piece. Is there a "signature" stamped on it?
    The medal seems to have a Spanish spirit, featuring a ship with Maltese crosses between two pillars. (Straits of Gibralter?)

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool medal. The inscription translates "On the seas and beyond the seas, always in the service of man", I believe. image
  • MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Cool Medal, I like the dragon and Lion design. What is the date of this metal btw?
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Medals are calling to me- this doesn't help.image

Superb pick-up oldshep.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Great addition to your ship's collection Shep. image
  • Gorgeous medal, Old Shep!
    If you Google the motto (Mari, etc.) and then translate some of the pages that are suggested, you'll end up with the source of this medal, which appears (to me, without digging very deep)
    to be one of the French Colleges of Marien Medicine, or Naval Surgery.

The motto, "<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6ecf9">Mari transve mare hominibus semper prodesse</FONT>" actually appears intact in the caption to a photo of the Naval med school in Bordeaux.

Also this, from another website: "MARI TRANSVE, MARE HOMINIBUS, SEMPER PRODESSE. Cette devise des Médecins de Marine implique, à l'évidence, une présence renforcée de la Marine Nationale Française, par son Service de Santé, à ce XIème FIG sur un thème tel que "Géographie et Santé"....

So it's their legend, or motto (the noun in "Cette devise")?

Ain't technology grand?

Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Thanks for the comments - The medal was dated 1986 according to the seller.

Tom: Thanks for the research, I don't speak or read French even though it is one of the countries I collect. With this one I get French and a ship, can't ask for moreimage

Shep