Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help me spend ~$140 at bbce (LIVE RIP, completed)

So, I got a little surprise this month and have and extra hundred or so... i want to splurge on something fun at BBCE. I really wanted a pack of 86/87 fleer basketball after seeing CDs thread but I can't quite swing $300. So here is what I've down selected to... any combination of this stuff to add up to about $140 is what I'm looking for.

Item Price Each
1975 OPC Baseball Unopened Wax Pack 35
1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Cello Pack PSA 8 90
1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Cello Pack 85
1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Mini Wax Pack 45
1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Pack 90
1981 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 80
1982 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 135
1983 Topps Baseball Unopened "Michigan" Wax Box 140
1983 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 135
1984 Fleer Baseball Unopened Cello Box 75
1984 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box 60
1985 Topps Baseball Unopened Cello Box 135
1985 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 135
1986 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack Case 125
1987 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack Lot of 10 22.5
1987 Donruss Baseball Unopened Wax Box 32
1987 Topps Baseball Unopened 6-Box Rack Case 100
1989 Bowman Baseball Unopened Rack Case 55
1989 Fleer Baseball Unopened Rack Case 55
1989 Upper Deck Baseball Unopened High Number Foil Box 65
1992 Donruss Studio Baseball Unopened Wax Case 80

notes: my 75 ryan sucks and i never have had a yount or brett. i am liking vintage opc more and more. i am slowly hand collating 80's topps sets. i never owned an 84 fleer mattingly. i have always liked the rookie selection in 87 donruss. i sold my PSA9 89 ud griffey in ~1998. i never pulled a ripken FF.

White Whales:
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter

Comments

• Options
    1983 Topps Baseball Unopened "Michigan" Wax Box 140 would get my vote
  • Options
    1987 Topps Baseball Unopened 6-Box Rack Case 100

Just for fun!

• Options
    I would go with...

84 Fleer Cello... go for a nice Mattingly
    84 Topps Rack... should be a fun rip.

If you just want to rip 1 item go for the 83 Michigan
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I would go:
    1989 Fleer Baseball Unopened Rack Case 55

Thats a lot of ripping for the money!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I would do the 1982 Wax Box, not vintage, but not so new that a few nice graded ones could get you your money back. Yes 1983 has better rookies.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 82 and 83T sets for the money.

So, I agree with vintage guy - the 83T "Mich" box.

Or - tho a real crap shoot, you could get 2 vending boxes of 83T for that money - that's a 1000 cards!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for a mix of 82, 83 and 84 Topps product. Maybe a selection of racks. Then again, I'm biased, as those are right in my "sweet spot" of childhood collecting.
  • Options
    hmmm, 83 michigan seems to be getting a lot of looks. keep the suggestions coming! i'll place an order tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Get a pack of 75 at $90.00, and the 87 Donruss box at $32.00.
    Grand total = $122. Treat yourself to Starbucks with the rest.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    I would go for 83 or 85 vending vs wax. More bang for your buck.

I got an 83 vend box a few weeks ago from BBCE, pulled a nice Gwynn, Ripken.

I'd go, 83 vending @$65, 87 Donruss rack lot at $22.5, and maybe 84 Topps rack at $60, although its over $140 by $7.50.

Or if you just want to buy rack or wax boxes, maybe 84 Fleer cello and 84 Topps rack.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    What's the goal? If it's gradeable singles (9s and 10s) I'd avoid anything vending, and probably cello as well. If you like OPC, and trust me on this, don't buy wax. Buy complete sets from Canadian dealers. Most of them came from vending and corners are a lot better than the wax (pretty much the opposite of Topps). 87 Donruss rack is a lot of fun, especially since Maddux and Bonds are winding down their careers and will go into the hall in the next 7-8 years. 81 Topps is an interesting pick because PSA 10 singles are starting to heat up. The problem there is that there are no big pulls if you don't get any 10-worthy cards. The 75s are a sexy pick, but you can pretty much buy PSA 8 singles of Ryan, Brett, or Yount for a little more than the price of a pack. That's why I was such a dunce with the 86/87- because I could've bought a nice PSA 8 Jordan for the price of both packs (although I knew that and still did it).

Here's what I would do from your list (and some not):

- If going for PSA 10's that bring good money, I'd go with the 81 Topps wax box and an 86 Topps BB rack case (low pop stars bring good money in PSA 10).
    - If going for nice RCs, I'd go with the 83 Topps wax (either one) and the 87 Donruss racks.
    - If going for bulk, I'd go with the 89 Fleer rack case and the 92 Studio wax case. That'll keep you busy for a while.
  • Options
    I vote for 1985 Topps Wax Box
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    I've heard too many people say that their first michigan '83 Topps box would be their LAST, because of all the dinged cards. Evidently, the regular wax has more gem cards in it by a longshot.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    BBXexchange - you have got to be kidding. Biggest crooks in the business.

seriously, they're the best in the busines; however, I would buy from me if I were you:

Thread

• Options
    We did a group bust on the boards of an 83 Michigan Wax Case, and I would have to say that other than the fact that you had no cards with wax or gum damage the cards were not generally as clean as a standard wax box. Collation was also pretty bad, you might be one of the lucky ones and hit a box with multiple Sandberg, Gwynn, or Boggs, but chances are better that you will end up with 20 of the same common. I would go with the 1981 Wax Box and the 1984 Rack Box.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    You know you can buy complete sets at BBCE too. Why not a nice run of Topps, Donruss, or Fleer sets? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>You know you can buy complete sets at BBCE too. Why not a nice run of Topps, Donruss, or Fleer sets? image >>

i want to have the fun of busting and building the sets myself image
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>What's the goal? If it's gradeable singles (9s and 10s) I'd avoid anything vending, and probably cello as well. If you like OPC, and trust me on this, don't buy wax. Buy complete sets from Canadian dealers. Most of them came from vending and corners are a lot better than the wax (pretty much the opposite of Topps). 87 Donruss rack is a lot of fun, especially since Maddux and Bonds are winding down their careers and will go into the hall in the next 7-8 years. 81 Topps is an interesting pick because PSA 10 singles are starting to heat up. The problem there is that there are no big pulls if you don't get any 10-worthy cards. The 75s are a sexy pick, but you can pretty much buy PSA 8 singles of Ryan, Brett, or Yount for a little more than the price of a pack. That's why I was such a dunce with the 86/87- because I could've bought a nice PSA 8 Jordan for the price of both packs (although I knew that and still did it).

Here's what I would do from your list (and some not):

- If going for PSA 10's that bring good money, I'd go with the 81 Topps wax box and an 86 Topps BB rack case (low pop stars bring good money in PSA 10).
    - If going for nice RCs, I'd go with the 83 Topps wax (either one) and the 87 Donruss racks.
    - If going for bulk, I'd go with the 89 Fleer rack case and the 92 Studio wax case. That'll keep you busy for a while. >>

great advice. thanks. the goal isn't set at the moment but you've pretty much defined what my mix of goals are. i'm starting to feel the nice RCs though. i have my resub vouchers left over and would like to get some of these guys RCs graded and into my permanent collection (while building a set at the same time). and, this is the first installment of extra dough... i should probably consider making a pattern/goal and stick to it. but hey, my idea of fun pack busting changes at least 4 times per day image

i did an 86 rack case a month or so ago and it was VERY fun (still is, still sorting). you should have seen the pile of wrappers on the floor that i left there for about a week. classic image the better half never said a word either (the basement is all mine)
    White Whales:
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I hear ya. It's hard to set a solid goal when it comes to busting packs because you almost always lose money on the deal. I wouldn't agonize too hard over what to buy because it'll be fun no matter what you get.

Lee
  • Options
    are the 84 fleer cello packed tightly? ie. dinged corners. thnx
    White Whales:
  • Options
    If they (84 fleer cello's) are anyhting like the 83 fleer cello's, they're tight as a brick (sorry for the bad use of an overly used term). I mean supper tight. Haven't opened any so I can't comment on the cards. Much tighter than the Topps couterparts for the year.
  • Options
    1989 Fleer rack case-

If your looking to pull a FF......good luck. I have bought 10-15 rack cases of 89 F and pulled the FF in ONE case only. I assume owners found what run they were from and..... Maybe ask BBCE how many they have. If only very few, then possibly they bought them from a collector and your chances are better. If he has a pallet.......

There has been a abundance of them on ebay compared to normal. One seller has sold 10+ and I pulled the Black Box from that. Another guy came to me asking about how to tell what run they were from without opening, as he was about to buy many cases. Unsure if they are all from the same source but it is odd that so many have poped up.

The case on BBCE shows(d) a red lettered case. Stock pic. Last time I asked he had the blue lettered cases. Not that it means anything signifivcant but the red lettered ones have popped up on ebay less than a dozen times over the years.

Good Luck and I'd be interested in what you pull if you do buy/open one.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Good day,
    Ya know this Thread is really gonna p%^$SS the Wife off, because reading all of this I am getting the itch!!!!!
    I haven't had a good Rip (Packs I mean) in a couple of months. I was in on the 83 Michigan Rip and although I was one of the victims of the bad colation, I would still like to try it again. So I am going to call Steve and order a Box. I think I'll spend about another $100, so lets hear some ideas to round it out with some nice Football that has the potential for submission.
    Let me know
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been eyeing the full wax box he has from 1972 OPC Series 2 so my choice for you is 4 - 1972 OPC Series 2 packs. I think they are $35 each, and Series 2 is LOADED with Hall of Famers. Of the 8 cards in the pack you will lose 1 (maybe 2) cards to the gum so in the worst case scenario with your 4 packs you will still have 20 to 25 shots at: Jim Palmer, Willie McCovey, Gaylord Perry, Hank Aaron, Hank Aaron in action, Roberto Clemente, Roberto Clemente in action, Luis Aparicio, Jim "Catfish" Hunter, Willie Stargell boyhood photo, Tom Seaver boyhood photo, Ferguson Jenkins, Steve Carlton, Johnny Bench, Johnny Bench in action, Reggie Jackson, Reggie Jackson in action, Billy Williams, Billy Williams in action, Thurman Munson, Thurman Munson in action, Tom Seaver, Tom Seaver in action, Willie Stargell, Gil Hodges, and Ted Williams. Thats a lot of star power in Series 2.
  • Options
    Further down selection. This is fun. I am sure opening them will be even more fun.

Item Price
    1972 OPC Baseball Series 2 Unopened Wax Pack 35
    1975 OPC Baseball Unopened Wax Pack 35
    1975 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Pack 90
    1981 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 80
    1983 Topps Baseball Unopened "Michigan" Wax Box 140
    1983 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 135
    1984 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box 60
    1985 Topps Baseball Unopened Wax Box 135
    1987 Donruss Baseball Unopened Wax Box 32

I removed 1987 Topps case because I'm going to do that in a few months after I get the 1986 Topps case sorted, put into an album graded etc. I removed the 89 fleer because I need face it, i don't have the energy to search 15 cases to find an FF... i'll suck it up and buy one.

I'm starting to lean toward the 83 box BUT i also like the idea of the 84 rack box and the 89 ud box (and a few cheapo packs to fill in).
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>BBXexchange - you have got to be kidding. Biggest crooks in the business.

seriously, they're the best in the busines; however, I would buy from me if I were you:

Thread >>

i'll take one of your 1980-1987 runs. PM me. i have some paypal moolah burning a hole too.

"1982 Topps Baseball cello (I have a few with stars showing if intersted) - $6" Do you have one showing Ozzie Smith?

thanks!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Here's what's in the cart. I will wait until tomorrow to place the order.

1987 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack Qty 2 $5
    1984 Topps Football Unopened Wax Pack $14
    1984 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box $60
    1989 Upper Deck Baseball Unopened High Number Foil Box $65
    White Whales:
  • Options
    placed it tonight. thanks for all the input guys! i'll try to do some sort live break when they arrive. the other half is leaving town on the 10th on business for a week. so, nothing but cards and alcohol for me image i'll open the packs right away and save each box for a night when she's gone.

Products
    ------------------------------------------------------
    2 x 1987 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack () = $5.00
    1 x 1983 OPC Baseball Unopened Wax Pack () = $1.50
    1 x 1984 Topps Football Unopened Wax Pack () = $14.00
    1 x 1989 Upper Deck Baseball Unopened High Number Foil Box () = $65.00
    1 x 1984 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box () = $60.00
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total: $145.50
    Total: $145.50
    White Whales:
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really thought I had sold you on the 1972 OPC series 2. Oh well. image
  • Options

<< <i>I really thought I had sold you on the 1972 OPC series 2. Oh well. image >>

in time, in time image you sold me, just not this order.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    Good day Nick,
    Actually you sold me, I am placing an order today and think I will get 4 of the 72 OPC Series II packs with it.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    prscott933 - pm sent.
  • Options
    live rip of the 83 opc, 84 topps football and 87 donruss racks coming tonight!!!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the '83 Michigan wax packs - about 80% of the cards I received from such a box had dinged/touched corners caused by the packaging.
  • Options
    1983 OPC up first!
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    first card. got a ding on the left side but it's pretty clean.

White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    nice 9OC YAZ

White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    White Whales:
  • Options
    well, that's it for the 83 opc pack. very clean cards, all oc... but hey they have sharp corners and the color is nice.

i'll be back in a bit with the 87's and the 84 football
    White Whales:
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Not bad, keep um coming!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    on to the 87's!
    White Whales: