Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA starts tonight...

Who do you like? Who is going to be good? Who is NOT going to be good? Give me your thoughts!

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    : crickets chirping :

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Nobody likes Basketball up in this place?
  • Options
    Frank,

You work in Corona, CA?

Thanks!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    celtics are going to be good, i hope!!!!

i like the bulls as well and phoenix this year
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I hope that Ricky Davis can be a team player because he has talent and is a much better fit for this team than Antoine Walker. I'm happy about the trade and optimistic that Flash will/can get us to the finals again! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Rockets are looking good.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt know they still played?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NBA folded some years ago, I forget the exact year, I believe it was replaced with the WNBA.
  • Options

<< <i>The NBA folded some years ago, I forget the exact year, I believe it was replaced with the WNBA. >>

Man that is perfect! That made my day. Thanks.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Big basketball fan here Frank. I love the Bulls and we just had are season ticket holder lucheon with the team. Got alot of autographs and was great to see all the players close up. I always get really pumped up after these lucheons and have a good feeling about the Bulls chances this year. The Bulls will have their hands full in the Central division. I believe the Celtics,Pistons, and Bulls will be the top three in the East. The Spurs, Suns,and Mavericks in the West.

The 76ers will be awful in the East, and the Timberwolves in the West.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    They play basketball in the NBA???? I quit watching it years ago.
  • Options
    The SPURS will methodically repeat----------imageimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options

<< <i>Rockets are looking good. >>

The NBA still sucks donkey scrotum, though..
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I follow the NBA. You're on the wrong boards to talk about basketball. Even college ball, which is fairly across age, gender and race, doesnt get as much attention here.

I dont have one specific team I root for. Followed the Lakers for a long time, but got off the wagon after the team got Shaq and Kobe. Just dont like either of them. Once Kobe goes away, I'll go back to my roots.

I follow the Clippers more so these days. Not much there to like given that Brand is out for nearly all season.

I expect Houston to make a nice leap this year. I think New Orleans will surprise if Peja can stay healthy.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be tough to script a more boring sporting event than NBA basketball. Firstly, the players have outgrown the dimensions of the game. If anyone gets excited anymore by a dunk shot, I would suggest getting a life - watching some 7 footer run down the court get a pass, dunk the ball, and then hearing the lame announcer hype it like it's some supernova explosion occuring, is about as exciting as watching goldfish in a bowl. The dunk has turned the game into a dreadful bore.

The first order should be to raise the basket, perhaps about two feet or higher so that dunking basically won't exist - that's the first thing among several other things that need to change, especially the playoff season being way too long - the regular season should be shortened as well. Otherwise there will be a continuing eroding fan base.

College basketball is still good sport as it is - that doesn't need to change.

-
  • Options
    stevek..i have several theories about why the NBA is not as popular as the NFL or the MLB. The way the game is played obviously is the biggest factor. It's more individual oriented vs. team oriented. Play is slow, dunks are overrated and the timeouts and questionable reffing really bogs down the game. That's why college ball gets more attention...because the game play is a lot more smoother. Also, the lack of a dynamic superstar hurts. Shaq, kobe, mcgrady, carter....even duncan....some are more dynamic and outspoken than others, but none have really captured the attention of the masses as jordan did in the 90's and bird/larry/Dr J did in the 80's. Also, the perception that the NBA is thug, bling and R&B'ed out doesnt jive with middle class america...who are the largest consumers in our society. And let's face it....race is important. In football, there are a lot of thugs, criminals and guys with posses...but, they wear helmets on the field and their race isnt as salient. Plus, there is enough balance of black and white superstars in the NFL. Not really the case in the NBA (steve nash and Dirk [who isnt "American" in the traditional sense]...vs. a ton of black superstars). People like what they are familiar with and are similar to....on a football field, it's a bunch of guys with helmets on...in the majors, there is a lot more balance with white/black/latino and even asian athletes....and they wear long sleeved jerseys and hats/batting helmets....in basketball, with guys wearing no sleeve jerseys and no helmets or hats....their race is a lot more salient.

for the latter point, let's not get into a debate about race. it's a factor, but not the biggest. i think the game play is the biggest factor as to why the NBA is not as popular as it once was.
  • Options
    Well I guess basketball now can be put in the same catagory as hockey,tennis,golf, and soccer. I personally love football and baseball, but I like to watch those other sports too. I guess you can call me crazy.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have anything constructive to post, don't post!

The Celtics will be good, but I don't see them in the finals. Pistons or Bulls I think will come out of the East, the Suns, Spurs, Mavericks out of the West (hard to choose)

Expecting big improvement from the Hawks, Magic, Warriors, Rockets, Nuggets, Celtics.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Surprise team in the East that may cause some teams problems may be the Knicks. In the West I see it being Houston.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I live in the SF Bay Area I would like to see the Warriors play the exciting, fast paced, run and gun style of basketball the played so well late last season to sneak into the playoffs and beat the Mavs in round one.

If the Warriors have a better season (no injuries and a stable roster of greyhounds) than last year and with a repeat trip to the playoffs, that would help out the rather horrible quality of pro and major college sports that resides in the Bay Area at this time.
  • Options
    Wrong time of the year for basketball to begin, this is football season, there will of course always be overlapping seasons for various
    sports but basketball in Oct.? They are starting now and the playoffs will not be over until next June!!!, the season and playoffs are just
    way too long.

• Options
    Celtics are sentimental favs along with mine, but I see Bulls in East and Suns, as long as Shawn Marion stays content, in West, with championship being in West.
  • Options
    im interested to see how the Celtics will do this year after their big acquisisitons.
  • Options
    I hope it goes well, they traded half of the team, including Jefferson, which may hount them.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nobody likes Basketball up in this place? >>

I do, just not the NBA kind. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Alot more talk today about Kobe coming to Chicago. Kobe being the best player in the NBA would most likely take the Bulls all the way, but really dont like Kobe as a team player.
  • Options
    He got booed by the LA fans last night.

Links galore

Even Magic sided with the booing fans:

Link

<< <i>Lakers fans booed Bryant before tipoff, and at halftime, Magic Johnson spoke on their behalf in the TNT studio.

"'I think the Laker fans want him to stay," Johnson said. "I mean . . . let's be frank about it. Colorado happened. Who supported him? The Laker fans. The Laker management supported him as well, through all of that. The Kobe-Shaq situation. The Laker fans still supported him. Laker management supported him.

"It's all of those things. We have to understand that nobody wants to see him go, but he's demanding that he wants to go. So fans, they get upset when they have been there for years supporting you. They want you to stay.

"So when you say, 'Hey, it's time for me to get out of town,' you're not going to expect them to be happy about this situation." >>

But I thought only NY fans boo "the best" player in the game.

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Options
    Yeah. I saw that game last night too. I thought that was great they boo him. image