Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Topps 3-D test issue, grade or not ??

Hi all

I just obtained this 1968 Topps 3-D Jim Maloney card.

I`m thinking about having it graded, but i don`t know, sometimes rare or test issue cards sell better not graded.

I remember the time i was selling a 1970 Johnny Bench candy lid, the lid tab had a crease and PSA graded it a 3. Long story short, i cracked the slab and sold it for almost 3 times what the lid was bid on on ebay slabbed.

And that is not the only time i`ve run into this similar situation.

The bidding public wants a high grade,, and when a rare or test issue comes up at a PSA 1,2,3,4,5 they think i`ll wait a higher grade will come along. When the fact is a PSA 3 is the highest grade the card will ever have

Oh well, here`s the card in question, enjoy !!

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Frankly -- the Topps 3-Ds are hard to find in any grade. Unfortunately, Maloney is one of the "commons" from the set, that seems to be readily available. I think it is also readily available in high grade. I think it would do fine on Ebay either graded or raw. I think in graded form, you might get some of the type collectors who are really looking for an affordable, mid-grade, high eye-appeal example from this set. Which your example clearly qualifies.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Hello Marc

I have seen the pop report on this card,, but i must question the term you use as this card is "readily available" Please show me another one currently for sale anywhere, as we speake ??

Yes, its a common from the set,, yet not so common to find for sale.

I think i may agree with you on the rest, though the term "affordable" is up for collector debate !

Lee

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Lee, I sold one to a board member not to long ago in sgc 86, I think mark is speaking relative to the set . Manoney and Fairly come up more than the others. after seeing these 2 sheets recently , we now know why as they are on both sheets.

• Options
    honestly, this issue is so rare on ebay, I would not worry about the grade. I think for those looking for this set, they would understand the scarcity and not hesitate to get a lower grade card. I would definitely grade it.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with others on getting it graded just for the protection factor.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have a Curt Flood for my team sets. That is probably one card I will never own.

Shane

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Shane--the Flood is a tough one. I have him but still need 3 to complete the set. The Maloney is a great card in any condition but does show up on ebay a few times a year, and sometimes in top condition. There are , however, variations of that card
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Al I didn't even think to look but I jsut looked at the 2 sheets and on mahoney and fairly , each sheet has a set of the "no dugout" , dugout variations. you learn something new everyday! thanks for bringing it up and getting my wheels spinning.

that would go against the availability theory sine the dugout versions are tougher I believe
  • Options
    BTW, here is a good informative article on the 1968 Topps 3D

CLICK HERE

Lee
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Lee -- I did mean relative to the set. The trifecta of Maloney, Davis and Fairly are all about twice as common as any other example from the set. Which is why they all tend to be available on a one-off basis, whereas every other example from the set is most commonly found (when found) as part of a collection or set.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.