Home Sports Talk
Options

Shame on A-Rod? No Freakin' Way!

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
If I'm on an island on this opinion, then so be it. But I can't believe all the heat A-Rod and Boras are getting for announcing that A-Rod will be opting out of his contract during, what turned out to be, the final innings of the World Series.

Bottom line: If A-Rod's announcement attempted, or did in fact, overshadow or upstage the World Series, the onus is on MLB, the media, the announcers, essentially everyone other than A-Rod and Boras. The media has essentially, omnipotent power, as to reporting a story. It can turn a non-story into a front pager or bury front pager so that it never sees the light.

If A-Rod is bigger than the game, it's because the game allows him to be bigger than the game. Don't want A-Rod's opting out to be front page headlines, then don't make such a big deal about it. Don't want A-Rod upstaging or overshadowing the World Series, then don't spend the last innings of the World Series talking about it. And when A-Rod signs with whomever and don't want him to be bigger than baseball, then don't report it (or at least bury it after MLB announces it's Comeback Player of the Year Award. (Yeah, I didn't know there was such an award either.)

And Buster Olney saying that "A-Rod putting himself above the game"? Olney Column Here's an idea, why don't MLB take out its proverbial stick and "beat" A-Rod down and don't let him put himself above the game. Because if I'm not mistaken, all A-Rod did was tell his employer that he has decided to look for another job. Something I hope to do within the coming weeks.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    I know what you're saying and you're right, but the media are a bunch of whores so you can't expect them to do the right thing.

As much as I hate Boston, Arod and Boras didn't need to upstage the Red Sox on their night. It was completely lame and just shows you what they're about.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was completely lame and just shows you what they're about. >>

Zero class and totally self-centered.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jack

With all due respect, Arod and Boras (and all free agents to be) have from the moment the WS ends up until 10 days.

Not during the Series <after> it.

That was toatlly lame on his and his agents part to announce t it before the rules state they could. The Media has a job to and to blame them IMo is ludicrous.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very poor timing, without question.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so which team will want the GD circus that comes with Arod? My limited knowledge tells me that San Francisco is accustomed to a one-ring circus atmosphere, but who else?
  • Options
    Dodgers
    Padres
  • Options
    add the Cubs too...Pinella and ARod have a good relationship.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Not that A-Rod needs another job. image I mean, he's already clinched the HOF with his 500th tater this year, he could just retire now. Oh wait, there is that one other thing he hasn't done yet... image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this story never made it on the front page of any Boston Papers so whatever image
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i think don mattingly would have been a good manager,just like ruth, he never got to realize his dream and manage the yanks, i think they both got the green ween on that one,wanst this guy they just picked broadcasting 2 weeks ago???????i remember when he played-i think he commentated at yanks but dint pay much attention to who the announcers were
  • Options
    It was an incredibly piss-poor decision on the ARod/Bor-ass team. Unfortunately, I can only give 51% of the blame to them. In this modern media circus of today, every media avenue wants to get one foot in front of all the rest and be the first to report a story like this, regardless of the timing. Therefore, no news channel, radio station, internet site is going to hold off on reporting a news release like this.

That being said, if the ARod/Bor-ass team waits, this isn't even an issue, which is why they hold more than half the blame.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO they hold all the blame. how can anyone blame the media for doing its job?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Long term- I bet the good ole boys in Texas realized now they can get Santana?
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.