Options

Joe Girardi offered Yankees Manager job, expected to

Accept at a press conference tomorrow!

Comments

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    just saw that on news!
  • Options
    This is what I had hoped for, and I'm on record as saying he should be the manager! Great move Yanks!!
  • Options
    BTW, with Girardi as manager, Mariano and Posada are even more lock signs as I suggested in earlier threads. I think this makes Pettitte much more likely now too.
  • Options
    Poor Donny Baseball. He's obviously pissed he didn't get the job and won't return.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If Mattingly doesnt come back just because he didnt get the manager job then it can be nothing more than a sense of entitlement and sour grapes. If Mattingly plays his cards right, he will let things be and wait for his opportunity.

If it's not Torre then Im VERY happy that it's Girardi. Anyone who has ever listened to him commentate will realize he has a GREAT baseball mind. There is a reason why catchers often make the best managers.
  • Options
    Mattingly already said he won't be back.
  • Options
    Then he's being a big baby. Goodbye to you too Don Mattingly - you werent that good of a hitting/bench coach anyway!
  • Options
    Girardi is a fiery guy, be interesting to see how this works out for all involved. Don Mattingly did indeed say he was not coming back.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I'm gonna take the under 2 years bet in Las Vegas that Girardi will get fired.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing against Girardi and think he does have a great baseball mind in his own right. I was hoping to see Mattingly as manager though. It seemed like the right fit and the right time as he moved up slowly in the Yankee organization from special instructor to bench coach. Now that he won't be back with the team at all is kind of shocking. He was a Yankee for eternity and now this? This is truely sad the way things turned out.

I just can't see Mattingly be with the Dodgers or any other team. MLB is truely a business and not a tradition or past time.

I knew Torre's days were numbered and there is solace in knowing that he was one of the long time managers of the Yankees. His tenure was successful and long enough. But for Mattingly to be out of the Yankee organization just like that was really unexpected.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    WORST MISTAKE A FRANCHISE COULD MAKE IS ALIENATE YOUR MOST POPULAR PLAYER....

they just turned their backs on the most revered player and icon the team had.....

who do you think got the loudest ovation at old timers day? Mattingly always did!

HE WAS THE LAST FRIGGIN CAPTAIN before JETER!!! HE WAS A YANKEE CAPTAIN!!

If the yankees practice what they preach --tradition, heritage, blah blah blah.....

if this is what the new Yankee Regime is gonna be, im not enjoying it!

almost makes me wish they have a brutal year next year!

Quick, name the last successful Free agent the yankees acquired......give up?
  • Options
    Mattingly being a Yankees icon does not make him the best man for the job no matter how badly he wanted it.

I care about WINNING and Im not saying that Mattingly cant do that, but I sure do think that Girardi can.

There is a good article on the Yanks website of why Girardi was the right pick. Check it out.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I saw this coming awhile ago especially when Girardi was taking obvious pokes at Torre's coaching while Girardi was announcing for the YES network. It was making me sick just watching him sell him self to George S. on the YES Channel. I never liked Girardi and even if they win in 2008 I still wont like him. He reminds me of Dusty Baker when it comes to coaching. I just hope Joba and Andy Phillips dont end up like Anibel Sanchez did who was pitching for Girardi in FLA. Its amazing how a pitcher can throw a No hitter then end up on AA the next season trying to figure out what happened...

in-depth-look-at-joe-girardis-treatment-of-pitchers

Don Mattingly did the right thing. It was a slap in his face. I would have done the same thing and I am sure 99% of you all would have done the same thing to.

I see dark years ahead of the NYY just like the 80s. Ever since Red Sox reversed the curse in 2004 the yanks have never been the same.

I guess all this is great for RSN....
  • Options
    Girardi taking pokes at Torre? Not at all. Girardi loves Torre. 99% of the time it was that butt munch Michael Kay questioning Torre's moves and asking Girardi's opinion. Girardi not suppose to offer his opinion? Most of the time Girardi was saying WHY Torre's move was the right one.

I didnt see Girardi selling himself to anyone. He doesnt need to. I dont think anyone would have figured that this would have been Torre's last year for real. There's been talk for YEARS about Torre. Girardi loves the Yankees organization as much as anyone else and he wanted to take time from managing and this being AFTER managerial offers.

Girardi IS the best man for the job. He has fire. Mattingly gave a glimpse of what kind of manager he would be when he filled in for Torre and it wasnt too impressive. Mattingly didnt even step out of the dugout to argue bad calls. You need a manager who will step up for his team. Maybe Mattingly would be different if it was his ship completely, no one can say. But as I stated before, being a Yankees icon does NOT make you the best man for the job. I would have even taken Pena over Mattingly.

As for Annibal Sanchez, he threw those pitches that landed him in the minors. And that is another thing about Girardi. He KNOWS how to handle pitchers. 15 years as a major league catcher is enough proof of that.
  • Options
    I want what you are smoking...

• Options
    The article you place actually makes Girardi look a LOT better than what you are trying to imply. Finish reading the article at the end. Dont forget that the Marlins dumped Josh Beckett along with LoDuca, Delgado, and Lowell.

Marlins did not have much pitching in their minor league system at the time. And as the article you are referring to, Girardi is the better choice for handling the bullpen which has been a problem for the Yankees.

Girardi made that pieced out Marlins team a winner.

Bottom line its impossible to compare Torre and Girardi. Girardi has one major league season with a problematic team.

• Options
    I read the enter artical. I still I have my opinion, which you obviously dont respect or agree with. You have yours...

IMHO Girardi was not the right man for the job. Joe Torre was/is. To let Torre go who helped get them to the post season 12 years in a row is just insanity...

I am sure you wont agree with that either... LOL!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I heard his biggest reason for taking this position is having October off.
  • Options
    Never meant to imply that I dont respect your opinion, I just disagree with it.

But I do agree that Torre was the right man for the job. I would have thought they would have been smart enough to know that bringing Torre back was important to re-sign Rivera, Posada, and Pettite. Hopefully the Yanks can still do it.

• Options
    With Girardi coaching now I doubt we will see Posada, Pettitte, and Mo back. They played with Girardi in 98 and that will have something to do with them not coming back. There is no question the yanks are cleaning house. With all the insanity going on. Next you will see them let Derek Jeter go....... . . . .
  • Options
    Wow, that is a lot of drama! LOL
  • Options
    The Yanks couldnt have hired a worse manager under these circumstances....

Girardi may be the biggest YOUNG ARM MANGLER in the game.....HE decimated that Florida team pitching staff....

with the yankess going with a youth movement,especially with pitching, how could you hire this guy? I HOPE THE YANKS MISS THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR!
  • Options
    The jabs here at Girardi are baseless.
  • Options
    baseless?

did you see floridas pitching staff this year compared to when girardi managed>?

he DESTROYED THAT TEAM
  • Options

<< <i>baseless?

did you see floridas pitching staff this year compared to when girardi managed>?

he DESTROYED THAT TEAM >>

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I think the stuff mentioned about Girardi and Torre is absurd.
  • Options
    From all the sports I've ever watched, you never want to be the guy who replaces the legend. You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!