Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looks like Harmon Killebrew II: Yzerman 10??!@?!@?

What's up with this? Obviously not even close to a 10 with that atrocious centering. This seller has a ton of feedbacks too, so he's seemingly legit:

Yzerman (NOT) 10
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wtf?
  • Options
    I am not sure why these topics continue to come up. It has been forced down our throat that PSA has done nothing wrong and the seller is a complete POS for trying to sell this crap. What more to say?
  • Options
    This is one reason that grading a sports card is very subjective and you should buy the card not the number.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    does the right side of that holder look suspect to anyone else?? when I pop my cards.. I start right there..
    maybe it is just me
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    At least the seller writes "The card looks to be off center to me but apparently the folks at PSA have a different opinion. "

They marked it a 10. If they gave a 10 to that card for me, I'd sell it too and buy one I liked better.
  • Options
    biting tongue.....biting tongue.....biting tongue.....still biting.........................................................................................
  • Options
    ONE WORD..............>>>>>>>>>>>>> P H O T O S H O P !!!!

NO way on this earth PSA would have missed that one that far off!

• Options
    I don't know if they actually believe someone is going to pay good $$ for a PSA 10 that looks like that. The seller or whoever had to have cracked that holder and insert that piece of work. Perfect reason not to buy graded cards unless the auction contains a scan.
    Sorry I have to bring this one out again. Example:
  • Options
    If the guy was going to photoshp a 10, don't you honestly believe he would have picked a better card? Look at his feedback and then decide if this card has been fabricated!
  • Options
    One way to find out............emailed a copy of the auction to PSA !
  • Options
    At least he is starting the card at $.99 and letting the market decide it's value. Sure beats a highly inflated (even for a 10) price like the Killebrew had.

That's the difference.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    There's one of three things that could have happened here:

1. PSA labeling error

2. Tampered holder

3. Photoshop job

I know some cards slip past the graders, but I highly doubt there's anyone at PSA, now or ever, that would purposely grade that card a 10. Something aint right...
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I thought PSA had less strict guidelines on OPC?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>I thought PSA had less strict guidelines on OPC? >>

Just on the rough cut edges, not usually on centering
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    am not sure why these topics continue to come up. It has been forced down our throat that PSA has done nothing wrong and the seller is a complete POS for trying to sell this crap. What more to say?

no one to forced you to read it. why don't you stop posting until you have something positive or interesting to say. by any chance are you a relative of rich g?

no one slammed the seller. they slammed the grader.
  • Options

<< <i>no one to forced you to read it. why don't you stop posting until you have something positive or interesting to say. by any chance are you a relative of rich g?

no one slammed the seller. they slammed the grader. >>

You need to go back and re-read that thread that you authored. Let me save you some time. Here are a few quotes:

"shame on the dealer for listing it"

"he is an idiot but why screw someone else"

"reflects poorly on him"

"We all get screwed by sellers like this at the end of the day"

"Those dealers are the armpit of our hobby"

"He is trying to screw someone big time"

Those were all comments made about the seller of the Killebrew. If you took the time to author that thread you should at least read it and know the content. Those were just from the first 4 pages. Should I continue?

Edited to say: If that is not slamming the seller, then what is???

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>by any chance are you a relative of rich g? >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    even the PSA flip is OC on that one
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    the s/n checks out to be a psa 10. are you thinking the card you receive will not have that s/n shown in the scan?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    <<<I am not sure why these topics continue to come up. It has been forced down our throat that PSA has done nothing wrong and the seller is a complete POS for trying to sell this crap. What more to say?>>

Not sure where you come to this conclusion, VTG. I think most people (who posted in the thread) believe that 1) the seller is trying to screw someone and 2) PSA made an obvious error and finally 3) that PSA appears to have stepped up and tried to fix the problem.

Although we don't know what they (PSA) did yet, it is likely that because of their warranty, which by the way they take a reserve for, they would offer to reimburse the original buyer for whatever they paid over the appropriate grade. I would expect they would do the same here.

At least in this case, the seller has no reserve and admits the centering is not mint. Huge difference in my mind.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Is there such a thing as a PSA 10 (OC)? Cannot say I've ever seen one but if they exist maybe the qualifier was mistakenly dropped.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I just can't fathom that these last few 10s have come out like this. Are there 'graders in training' taking care of some of the cards now? I mean, a janitor in the PSA building could grade this one better. Horrific and a direct hit to the reputation of PSA.

I can see a small garbage POS grading company grading something like this. But, not the industry giant and trend setter, PSA. I'm absolutely apalled.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>At least in this case, the seller has no reserve and admits the centering is not mint. Huge difference in my mind. >>

Mark,

It's either right or wrong to sell it! Period! I don't see where the type of auction format the seller chooses has anything to do with it. And if you want to get really technical the seller on the Killebrew didn't have a reserve either. You could either buy it or not - your choice!

On your second point, so what if the seller of the Yzerman admits the centering is not mint? Are you saying that just because the seller of the Killebrew didn't admit the same thing, one is right and the other is wrong? Thank God the seller admitted the Yzerman centering was off because I never would have seen that for myself. Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? The members of this forum are so smart that they can tell the centering is off on the Killebrew, but those stupid people outside of the forum can't see that for themselves? Is that what you are telling me? Anybody could have seen that Killebrew was off centered and didn't need the seller to tell them that, just as they can see the Yzerman is off centered and don't need anybody else to tell them that. Moot point!

Look at the Killebrew PSA 10, look at the 2 '86 Topps Ryans PSA 10 and look at the Chris Carter PSA 10! With the Yzerman, that is 5 cards in the last 2 weeks that were graded a 10 and shouldn't have been. Who knows what we'll see in the next two weeks? You can keep putting the fault on the seller all day long, but you need to wake up and realize that the problem goes way beyond the sellers!

• Options
  • Options
    vtg: Here you go, thought this would help again.

That should help you stir the pot again.

Your indignance entertains me.
  • Options

<< <i>Your indignance entertains me. >>

No, I think that stick up your A$$ entertains you!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Your indignance entertains me. >>

No, I think that stick up your A$$ entertains you! >>

Is that where you were suggesting that I put it? How mature.
  • Options
    A: Believe it or not this card just came back from PSA within the last week. My frends and I all laughed when we saw the grqade. I can assure you the hodler has not been tampered with. I stated clearly in the by line of the auction that the card looks to be OC. The Dickerson that I have for sale came back with the Yzerman and that card is very nice. I believe that itis PSA's reputation that is at stake here. I understand what you are saying and appreciate the feedback. This card proves that the grading system and it's standards are a JOKE!! I was hoping that PSA would see the auction and offer to buy the card to save their good name......LOL. I have also let this post for all to see. Take Care Brent

Dear Brent,
    Please let me know when I can schedule an appointment to come out there and kick you in the nuts.

Regards,
    itz

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Another point of view on the seller. Not likely the case here but there are some sellers who are new to PSA. I remember when I bought the holder and the not the card. I remember before I knew what qualifiers were. I really thought I was getting a deal on a '59 Mantle PSA 8 for $500. I didn't realize that little "OC" meant anything! image Though this seller is clearly a more knowledgeable person than I was back in '97 it seems overly simplistic to assume everyone in the world has the knowledge that we all have NOW!? It would appear to me that here PSA just mislabeled as has happened to all of us who have submitted a lot of cards. The seller admits it is OC. I don't really think the seller is a "POS" to quote the one guy above. Not saying the seller is a saint but I don't think he is a POS either. Just my two.
  • Options

<< <i>Another point of view on the seller. Not likely the case here but there are some sellers who are new to PSA. I remember when I bought the holder and the not the card. I remember before I knew what qualifiers were. I really thought I was getting a deal on a '59 Mantle PSA 8 for $500. I didn't realize that little "OC" meant anything! image Though this seller is clearly a more knowledgeable person than I was back in '97 it seems overly simplistic to assume everyone in the world has the knowledge that we all have NOW!? It would appear to me that here PSA just mislabeled as has happened to all of us who have submitted a lot of cards. The seller admits it is OC. I don't really think the seller is a "POS" to quote the one guy above. Not saying the seller is a saint but I don't think he is a POS either. Just my two. >>

This card proves that the grading system and it's standards are a JOKE!! I was hoping that PSA would see the auction and offer to buy the card to save their good name......LOL. I have also let this post for all to see. Take Care Brent

i would have given him the benefit of the doubt before this, but now i agree with the flame-throwers....he's a POS!

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    vintagetoppsgay,

all i know is that when gumbyfan and i are on the same side with our opinions of you, you must have be an idiot. this is the first thing we have agreed on in six months.

i authored the killebrew to point out PSA's issue. you jumped in and hijacked thread acting johnny macho and starting a bunch of trouble. do us all a favor. your profile tends to make us think that you live in your parents basement, have never had a date with a girl and you drive a 1988 el camino. you'll never have a job that doesn't require you to have a hair net.

a composite fbi sketch of you has it resembling something close to this. note-this photo is before you stopped dieting.

i know halloween is wednesday but here is a typical photo of you in your free time.

i know i am not alone saying to you with your 100 posts per month average-please go away from these boards--NOW.
  • Options
    lol the collector!!
  • Options
    <<<It's either right or wrong to sell it! Period! I don't see where the type of auction format the seller chooses has anything to do with it. And if you want to get really technical the seller on the Killebrew didn't have a reserve either. You could either buy it or not - your choice!>>>

VTG....I can see it is almost impossible to reason with you. You just cannot see the point. Selling a clearly misgraded card with no reserve at least would likely get a bid that was appropriate. Selling a card with a BIN (which to me is a reserve which the seller has disclosed), is a way to screw the inexperienced buyer. I didn't make a moral judgment as to whether it is right or wrong. All I said was "at least...the seller has no reserve", clearly stated the card was not centered to fit the grade, alerted the inexperienced buyer of this potential problem and therefore, this auction is less likely to turn someone's day into a nightmare. In addition, even though I know you will come back with more arguments to bolster your opinion, this is not a $4000 card.

Again, big difference at least in my mind.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i>vintagetoppsgay,

all i know is that when gumbyfan and i are on the same side with our opinions of you, you must have be an idiot. this is the first thing we have agreed on in six months.

i authored the killebrew to point out PSA's issue. you jumped in and hijacked thread acting johnny macho and starting a bunch of trouble. do us all a favor. your profile tends to make us think that you live in your parents basement, have never had a date with a girl and you drive a 1988 el camino. you'll never have a job that doesn't require you to have a hair net.

a composite fbi sketch of you has it resembling something close to this. note-this photo is before you stopped dieting. >>

Moron,

You said that "no one slammed the seller" on that thread and I proved you wrong with 6 different quotes that were made about that seller. Again, that was only the first 4 pages - there were more. Do you know how to read or does your big brother type for you? People were already bashing the seller when I responded and I simply defended the seller and his right to sell it and I get everyone's opinions forced on me! Go back and re-read the thread from start to finish dumba$$! I am not pretending to be Johnny Macho, but when someone keeps trying on several different threads to call me out, I am going to respond! If that is your definition of being "Johnny Macho" so be it, but I think I was just stepping up to the plate and answering the call. Since you and Gumbyfan seem to agree, why don't the two of you queers get together and you can entertain each other with his stick?

Your childish cartoons tend to make me think that you are some twelve year old kid playing on daddy's computer. My advice: stay in school and go to college! Get an engineering degree and come see me after you graduate and I will get you a job where I work - Foster Wheeler USA Corp, an EPC company. We design delayed coker units all over the world and my current project is desiging a 6 drum DCU for BP in Whiting, Indiana. Or you can just continue to flip burgers at McDonalds and your life will go nowhere!
  • Options
    Mom, can I have this card, I really want it?
  • Options

<< <i>Selling a clearly misgraded card with no reserve at least would likely get a bid that was appropriate >>

Mark,

I understand your point. Could the seller have started it off @ $.99 and let the market determine the value? Sure, he could have, but he didn't. Again, it is his card and he can choose how to list it and how much to list it for. I also agree with you that the starting bid was ridiculously overpriced. However, just because he had it listed at that price doesn't mean that somebody is going to buy it at that price. And even if they do buy it at that price, if they are happy with their purchase, who are we to say anything? Who are we to tell him how to list it? If I am somewhere and I don't like their prices, I choose not to buy it and leave - that simple! If he told you how to list your auction, what format to use and how much to price it at, you would tell him where to go, right? We disagree here, but I can tell you that I truely respect your opinion and the way you choose to present your arguement. You made your point without name calling unlike Gumbyfan and Czar and that is very respectable!

David
  • Options
    WOW........
  • Options

<< <i>You made your point without name calling unlike Gumbyfan and Czar and that is very respectable!

David >>

David, please point out my name calling. I did see where you referred to theczar as "Moron".

Is this some sort of "pot calling the kettle black" lesson?

Why yes, David, it is.

Unless, of course, you've confused yourself for me. I could understand why you'd want to be like me, but actually pretending to be me is a little too far.
  • Options

<< <i>David, please point out my name calling. >>

Are you really serious? Okay, I'll play along! How about on 10/19 at 5:05pm on another thread you stated, "You are a small man and your ethics are an embarrassment to the hobby." Before that post, had I ever insulted you? Before that post, had I EVER said even ANYTHING to you good or bad? NO! You insulted me, without me provoking you or saying even anything to you! The funny thing is that I did not even repsond to you at that time - I let if roll off my shoulders. Now, every time a make a comment that you don't happen to agree with, you butt your nose in and post some stupid picture of a stick, when I am only stating my opinion.

As far as Czar goes, yes I called him a moron, but AFTER he called me an idiot.

Seriously, do you read the entire threads or do you just pick and choose what posts to read? There is a date and time stamped on each post and you need to look at it because that shows who said what and at what time. I didn't insult anybody without them FIRST insulting me!

Now, do you want to put this all behind us and just move on because it is becoming ridiculous?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Come on guys can we stick to the point of the thread??
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen to that Stingray! Hey, what's the story behind your avatar? Pretty funny.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amen to that Stingray! Hey, what's the story behind your avatar? Pretty funny. >>

Not exactly sure, but I believe it had something to do with a court case between the two woman or thier kids, I think this happened outside the court room.

P.S. Did anyone mention that the PSA lable looks a little off, the right border is almost missing??
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    : sighs :

Children, let this be a lesson for all of y'all.

If someone has an agenda, it's nearly impossible to reason with them. If they conceed a point, another will quickly pop up.

It's not worth it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

P.S. Did anyone mention that the PSA lable looks a little off, the right border is almost missing?? >>

yeah, i thought the flip looked OC but that statement got lost in the other spew that has happened in this thread. very fishy card. gotta be a labeling mistake
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>Come on guys can we stick to the point of the thread?? >>

I agree! However, I think the point of the thread is being confused. My interpretation of the point of the thread is, “What the hell is going on with all these crappy PSA 10’s that we’ve seen lately!” At least that’s how I understand it.

Others interpretation of the point of the thread is, “The seller is trying to screw somebody by trying to sell a card that is obviously not a 10?” and statements like “wanting to go kick the seller in the nuts” proves that!

As a buyer of PSA graded cards and a set registry member, it concerns me that we are seeing so many cards graded a 10 that shouldn’t have been. Whether it is a grading error, labeling error or whatever, it needs to be resolved and blaming the seller for selling the cards is not going to resolve the problem. We need to voice our concerns to PSA and we should be demanding answers from PSA as to what is going on? Have they lowered their standards? Is it a labeling error? What is the problem? If it was an isolated incident, you could just chalk it up as a mistake. However, it is not an isolated incident as there have been way too many cards lately that were graded a 10 that shouldn’t have been. My PSA membership expired in July and I haven’t renewed it and I won’t until they fix their problems. However, I have spent a lot of money with them in the past and probably will again sometime in the future. I feel that if I am helping with the growth and success of their company (no matter how big or small), I have a right to ask those questions and have them addressed.

So, if we’re going to stick to the point of the thread, “What really is the point of the thread?”

If the point of the thread is to bash the seller, then I’ll shut up right now and ya’ll can bash him all you want. However, if the point of the thread is to find out the story with all the crappy PSA 10’s then somebody (hello, PSA) needs to address the issue and quit putting the fault with the sellers.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    "Those dealers are the armpit of our hobby"

Hey mister out of context poster, this response was about dealers who don't give refunds on graded cards. It had nothing to do with any ebay auctions. Please read thread responses in their entirety before pulling bits and pieces to prove your point. Why not just pull letters together from previous points to make people say anything you want.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    VTG: the offer of nut-kicking is strictly figurative and represents most specifically my anger with the seller for openly taking potshots @ PSA through the use of his auction....when will people like you learn that mistakes which are made are easily correctable and not an invitation to further the cause of extremist rebels? this a-hole has now taken the stance that PSA should OFFER HIM SOMETHING to save further embarrassment, so why don't we all just bite the hand that feeds until it's bitten up to the wrist (another figure of speech, in case you want to suggest that i would do such a thing, wink wink)....this company has opened doors for us which otherwise would have been built by the lower ranking slobs of the TPG universe, can we try to support them and not the efforts of greedy POS's.....thanks, your friend itz
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    I don't know but something just seams weird I looked at the certs in front and after the one listed hoping that maybe ther was another Yzerman but all I found was 1 Dickerson and a whole load of CHARIZARD -- could be nothing but just seamed very odd
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options

<< <i>"Those dealers are the armpit of our hobby"

Hey mister out of context poster, this response was about dealers who don't give refunds on graded cards. It had nothing to do with any ebay auctions. Please read thread responses in their entirety before pulling bits and pieces to prove your point. Why not just pull letters together from previous points to make people say anything you want. >>

Hello, I can think of a couple reasons why dealers don't give refunds on graded cards.
    1. Let's say there is 5 auctions running on a 1972 PSA 9 Johnny Bench all ending within 2 to 4 days of each other, I win the first auction for 275.00, but 2 days later I win the 4th auction for 201.00 now I don't need or want 2 of these cards (Buyers remorse) Guess which one I am returning. Both auctions had great scans of the cards.

2. I buy a 1986 PSA 9 Nolan Ryan for 10.00, and also buy a PSA 10 Ryan for 2000.00, I pop open the 10 and replace with the 9, and then ask for a refund on the 10 because the holder looks tampered with.

Let's all agree there are POS buyers and POS sellers and some blind A$$$ graders.

I really don't know what to think of some of the graded cards I have seen recently , I know from my last 5 submissions , I have picked out about 25-45 cards out to be cracked out and resubmitted. It seems some graders are very strict and what should be an 8 ends up a 5,6 or 7, and some graders give 9 and 10's to cards that at best should be 7's or 8's. As one person said buy the card not the holder. Guess which grader I have gotten my last 5 or 6 subs? Enough rambling on my end. JMHO
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Weird - the same seller has the Yzerman, and the Dickerson, but the certs in between are the Charizard cards. I went on to see how many Charizard cards he had submitted-

01420780 through 01420825 - CHARIZARD - HOLO (45 cards)
    01420826 - Yzerman
    01420827 through 01420837 - CHARIZARD - HOLO (10 cards)
    01420838 - Dickerson
    01420839 through 01421654 - CHARIZARD - HOLO (815 cards)

I obviously didn't check every cert, but those are the limits, with Yzerman and Dickerson thrown right in the middle. The seller isn't listing any of the Charizard cards, whatever the hell those are. Is there any way this was just a 2 card sub, or do you think these were thrown in with all the others?

The most disturbing part is that someone, somewhere, has 870 PSA graded 1998 Charizard cards. The good news is they're mostly 9s and 10s. The bad news should be pretty self-evident.